Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

How many murders does one have to commit to become a "serial killer"?
Find answers to your legal question.

How many murders does one have to commit to become a "serial killer"?

It was a question in my history class the other day & I was just wondering.

Pat B
Defining serial murder
The term serial killer is widely believed to have been coined either by FBI agent Robert Ressler or by Dr. Robert D. Keppel in the 1970s (the credit for the term is still disputed). Serial killer entered the popular vernacular in large part due to the well-publicized crimes of Ted Bundy and David Berkowitz ("Son of Sam") in the middle years of that decade.
The term allows criminologists to distinguish those who kill several people over a long period of time from those who kill several people during a single event (mass murderers). A third type of multiple killer is a spree killer.

The following are brief definitions of these three types:

SERIAL KILLERS are people who kill on at least three occasions, taking breaks between murders. The crimes committed are a result of a compulsion that may have roots in the killer's (often dysfunctional) youth and psychopathological disorders, as opposed to those who are motivated by financial gain (e.g., contract killers) or ideological/political motivations (e.g., terrorism, democide).

A MASS MURDERER, on the other hand, is an individual who commits multiple murders in a single event and in one location. The perpetrators sometimes commit suicide, therefore knowledge of their state of mind and what triggers their actions is often left to speculation.

A SPREE killer commits multiple murders in different locations over a period of time that may vary from a few hours to several days. Unlike serial killers, however, they do not take a long break and resume their everyday lives between slayings.

I hope this helps

miyazaki75
At least three spread out over a period of time. One who murders a bunch of people all at the same time is considered a mass murderer.

Kelly
Rating
"A serial killer is a person who murders three or more people with a 'cooling off' period between each murder and whose motivation for killing is largely based on psychological gratification."

ArtyUSMC
A serial killer is a person who murders three or more people with a 'cooling off' period between each murder and whose motivation for killing is largely based on psychological gratification

Autumn Storm
I would think more than three people, because their have been some men convicted of killing women that was pregnant, and you seen what happened to them. They get by with crap like that, if their lawyer is paid good enough. I would guess about three people, because men that kill pregnant women are not charged as serial killers.

Lot in his cave
Rating
There are two types of killers - those that do it in the heat of the moment and generally have no need to do it again, and those that kill because they enjoy it and want to do it again. generally a serial killer will be the latter and would have to kill more than once to label them as such.
An indiviudal may be caught after their first murder but if they retain the capacity and desire to kill again they are no less a potential serial killer

The Fair Melissa
Technically i would say 2 or more. Usually it consists of more though. In my personal opinion anyone that can kill once and then still consciously go on and kill another in cold blood is a serial killer.

ooploon
Rating
a person who kills three or more people on three or more different occasions is known as a serial killer. Also the motives behind his/ her killings are largely psychological

LB
Rating
In most areas, it's considered to be three. Depends on where you are.

singaporelosers2
Rating
1 would be murder obviously so yo'd be a murderer.
I think it would have to be like 3 or something, watch the film zodiac and watch when they say he's a murderer and then after he's killed like 2 more he becomes a serial killer.

starzcrk
I would guess anything more than 1.

ghost
Rating
After three or four they are on their way.

Its Me
Two?

Is this a trick question, lol?

ā¯‰giggle bugā¯‰
ummmmmmm, idk, but u scared me cuz i thought u were trying to get a record cuz u were one or something. oh well. that is a good question though!

rogueriverbob
i once heard an f.b.i. agent say 3 or more over a period of time,.....

Tapok
Rating
More than one murder technically awards you the title of "serial killer" or "mass murderer", but the media usually uses the phrase to refer to people responsible for a group of several more killings, usually three, four, five or more.

willclay8
help
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ApQoFHBYPXlnKCiegD1FPgnsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080420135128AANY3DQ

JWalks
I believe it's just more then one.

Ted C

c c
more than 1

xXtierneyyXx
oh, im glad it was just a question from your history class.
i was like WTF IS WRONG WITH THIS KID?!?!

oh, and idk how many murders you have to commit.
:D

jonny92
Rating
theres no specific number. just if the killer keeps on killing

csigeoffrey
Are you trying to apply for a job?

I believe more than 2 usually begins to show patterns of evolving behaviors.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Isn't £120 fine for stopping in a bus stop for 2 minutes a bit excessive?
I was caught on CCTV in Camden at 8.35pm. Ironically I'd pulled over as I didn't want to be driving whilst on the phone. No buses arrived in that period and I didn't cause any kind of ...

Help! save me from the police?
When ever i go out skating the cop always yell their butts off at me and threaten me. Any tips on how to avoid this?...

Can you get a ticket if a cop sees you going around railroad crossing arms when they are down?

COPS Hate em or love em, do they really deserve respect?
I just finished watched SET IT OFF and im upset. Normally i would say it is just a movie but really its not it is the reality we are facing today. If you ask any kid why do they want to be a cop ...

Are the UK Police too soft?
In my opinion... yes. In London, the Met are way too soft, in my opinion. People just aren't scared of them anymore. They are seen as a joke by many, and to be honest, if you call the police for ...

Anyone get a text message about a shooting at Wal-mart?
Last night there was text going around telling women to stay away from wal-mart because a gang was supposed to shoot 3 women for initiation.I got it from a friend and read in the paper today that ...

How can you identify unmarked police cars on the highway?
So you don't get a ticket?...

Can I get arrested?
Mt neighbor kept parking a front of my house and I wanted to play baseball so I busted 2 of my neighbors windows and I threw a smoke bomb threw the busted window and smoke was coming out the window. I...

What is the penalty for going through a red traffic light?
Just had a letter telling me I turned a corner just as a traffic light had turned red last week at 17mph and they intend to prosecute me. It was obviously amber and I just didn't stop in enough ...

Wat happens if you throw a punch at a cop?

Who Besides Me THink The Cops ARE Criminals With GUNS?

Additional Details
I have NEVER!! called the cops when I am in danger. I usually call a real friend! Cops are never there when you need them anyway....

Do police officers have to tell you that they are a police officer when you ask them?
I have always heard that police officers have to come up front about being a police officer when asked. Is that true or is that a myth that i have always heard?...

Should UK police carry guns?
Given the alarming rise in anti-social behaviour and the willingness of youngsters to carry weapons of all kinds, is it now time to accept that there is little or no deterrant against yobbery? Is ...

What will happen if I don't show up to court?
A few months ago I got a ticket for my German Shepherd walking around on my front yard. The ticket says he was "running at large". I haven't had time to go to court for it, and what I&#...

My question is about cannabis!?
Want i'd like to know is............When the police do a drugs swoop and find a stash of Cannabis growing they confiscate it.........So waht happens to it then? They can hardly burn it, can they?...

Pulled over by cop - Do you have to answer all their questions?
I got pulled over and the officer asked me 'What I do for work' Why would that question be asked and what does it have to do with anything???...

Why do people think cops are lowlifes and bottom feeders?

TV company filming in my road?
A TV company keeps filming in my road. It is a small road and they cone off areas making it inconvenient, and sometimes I come home to find they have parked over my driveway. I have just had a ...

My friend got into a fight and beat up a 15 year old last night. will he go to jail?
my friend is 25, but he was provoked. he's a silly billy....

Cop shootout question?
If a police officer was in a shootout and got shot, and i picked up his gun and shot the bad guy, would i get charged with anything?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links