Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

How many times can you get arrested before it becomes a felony?
Find answers to your legal question.

How many times can you get arrested before it becomes a felony?

MissKathleen
One time if it's a serious offense like drugs or murder. Then again, you could get arrested ten times and not have a felony. They could be all misdemeanors for small crimes like petty theft.

tyfoxx0608
1. It doesnt matter how many times, you can shoot someone and thats a felony right away.

The 3 strike law is a CA law. That means if you get 3 felonies the third one for sure your getting 25 to Life minimum

casapulla2001
Rating
1x

If the offense is a felony; tag you're it.

Crimes and sentences can be compounded, depending on whether someone's been convicted & on probation, has a record, etc. etc. but a misdemeanor doesn't morph into a felony, unless a felony crime on the books has been "perpetrated" as they say.

LR
Rating
You can be charged with a felony the first time you commit a crime if it is serious. A felony is usually considered any crime for which the minimum sentence upon conviction is at least one year.

Little Chief
Rating
Best not to learn from experience.

jakflak
It depends on what crime.

Michelle
Rating
It depends on what you do. You could be a felony with your first arrest.

Savannah B
Rating
Your question doesn't make sense....you can get arrested on a Felony conviction and get a felony. It depends on the conviction, not the number of times you get caught.

Kevin P
you can be arrested many times, and never be charged with a felony. A felony charge accurs only when there is value damage exceeding a certain amount, or personal/capitol crimes.
The 3 strike rule in Missouri only applies, when you a charged for the same crime, on 3 different occasions. Then it is still is at the discretion of the prosecuter.

flyby
Rating
Depends on the charge ..DUI for example 2x - 3x or 4x depending on what state.
Many charges are a felony Or federal offense from the get go e.g. tampering with the US mail, etc..

mikeysco
Goodness, there are some profoundly misinformed answers here.

Those who have told you it's not the number of times you're arrested for an offense that makes the difference are probably closest to correct. Normally, being arrested for anything isn't what makes something a felony; it's the conviction you suffer as a result of the arrest that either makes something a felony or not. Even if you are arrested for a felony, you might only be convicted of a misdemeanor.

For the crime of public intoxication here in California, for example, you can be arrested every day of the year and it will never be a felony because the statute simply does not provide for that.

On the other hand, an arrest for your second petty theft offense could be a felony, depending on your sentence for the first offfense.

Bottom line is that it's not normally the number of times you're arrest for something that makes it a felony.

And California isn't the only state with a three strikes law, and the three strikes law in California does not apply to every felony in this state. Again, you can be arrested for possession of cocaine (a felony in this state) every day of the year and you would never run afoul of the three strikes law.

ahsoasho2u2
Depending on the police write up of the crime committed, the prosecutors charging, the courts trial, the courts sentencing, a plea bargaining agreement etc?
Usually a felony is a class of crime, meaning felonious, done with intent, graver then a misdemeanor crime.
Thus a misdemeanor is a lower class of that same crime.
The habitual offender laws are a federal government law of 3 x and your out.
Since the (*********: law as they call it) applied to any cause when written, it originally just stated 3 x and your out.(remember Furman and the death penalty-1973 brought this upon us as a result of what do we do with those off death row? All death rows were resentenced as life without)
So ironically the first one sentenced in 1977 to the law was a dui case, as a 3x loser and was sent to prison.
The rewriting of the law then stipulated it had to be 3x of the same nature. So unless a person was picked up for 3 burglaries or drug sales, they could not be sentenced un the law.1980's.
In 1990?, it was finally written into correctness as, any 3 felonies, then in 1995 as any amount of excess criminal activity, could constitute a felonious behavior under criminal conduct of the states laws.
So, having saying that, it is up to the sentencing guideline(s), of each state, to extract the right amount of time, by each state legislative bodies wisdom, for it's sentencing of an individual.

lillardlane@yahoo.com
Rating
Even if is not a felony, you can become a repeat offender and once the Judge labels you a repeat offender, it is bad news. Do not do it! Bye!

Peter J
isn't it 3?

3 strikes and you're out thing???

who knows...a good way to find out is to get arrested 3 times and see what happens

richer_than_you1971
Rating
if you get arrested once for a misdeamenor and while on probation you get arrested again it is a felony

Chris
A felony is any crime which carries a jail sentence of at least one year.

Tinylil1
My son already has a violent felony strike he violated his probation & now serving time in State with another case pending of self defence, what happens if they charge him with another felony but without a strike or does it make any difference? What does the future hold please explain.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What color auto gets the most speeding tickets?

What would happen to me if i punched someone at work?

Can a 15 year old get charged or sued?

Additional Details
for fighting in ...

Why was policeman not charged?
Paul Whitters, 15, was shot in the head with a plastic bullet.
Following a four-year investigation, the police Ombudsman said the firing of the baton round was wrong and unjustifiable.

I got a ticket for driving to close to another car, BUT .................?
the cop was behind me, I feel like I was not that close. If the cop was behind me how does he really no that I was to close? I have a date to fight the ticket. Do you think that I could win this? ANY...

Are Private Investigators allowed to????
A person that becomes a private investigator, are they allowed to carry a firearm on them wherever they go???...

Maybe a stupid a question but Do you need a permit to carry pepper spray?

Does anyone know what sort of jobs are available in prisions?
what would be the highest position, next highest etc.?...

Does my parole officer have the right to come into my house unannounced??
he's making life hard on me. wanting to know why i haven't found a job yet, throwing out my beer and having the nerve to tell me i need to clean up my place and get rid of my trash! now ...

Why did this police officer walk away from me after talking so tough?
Police Officer said "I request to check your trunk of your car". I respectfully said "No". Police said "You better let me". I showed him my ACLU card and the officer ...

If I get pulled over for speeding, what's the best way to get out of it w/o my parents finding out?
the problem is: i'm on their insurance.

so this is preferably w/o getting a ticket at all. but then if i do get a ticket, how can i get rid of it before they find out? if i motion to ...

When arrested for public intoxication shouldnt i be read my rights??!!?
to start off i am a college student in houston, i was visiting another college in "prairie view" for a volley ball tournament... "PV" won and me and a group of friends know about ...

Should cops be required to go to law school?

Is law enforcement really winning the war on illegal drugs?

What kind of police cars do Police Officers drive?

Why do US police still administer walking the line and ABC tests for suspected DUI?
Don't they have hand held breath testing devices?...

Can a case be thrown out if ur marandan rights were not read to u when u were arrested?

Its a sad reality that most people think that the police are useless.?
check out what people say on here about the police if you don't believe me....

How can they say justice has been done?
a close friend of ours was murdered last year and the bloke who did it got let off with nothin he claimed self defence when he was stampin on our friends head which killed him how can he get off and ...

Is it legal to date a minor? If its OK with the parents?
my family said its not legal to date a minor.. even if your parents say its OK.. is this true?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links