Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

How much time in jail would someone get if caught by the police with a 1) Handgun on there waist 2) Glove box?
Find answers to your legal question.

How much time in jail would someone get if caught by the police with a 1) Handgun on there waist 2) Glove box?

How much jail time if caught by police during a traffic stop
a handgun in waist band or a handgun in glove box?

therealtreefitty
Depends what state/county/town and if they have a permit.

Also if it is loaded or not.

Oh, and if it is concealed (not visible on the person's waist)

David W
Rating
Wow...there's about 300 other variables that would need to be known ....get a good lawyer...

CRH
this really depends on the state/region you are in

Kenneth C
Rating
In Missouri, if they aren't committing another crime and aren't a convicted felon, they would get no time for the handgun in the glove box because it's legal to carry a firearm in that manner in Missouri.

Waist band is generally charged as a misdemeanor and absent a criminal record or evidence that they committed a crime with the firearm or were planning on committing a crime...probably just a or a fine or a few days in jail. This is assuming they don't have a CCW license and the firearm is licensed, not defaced, ect.

valtovar
it depends on the city or state. they tend to vary but it wont be too long

In some states in the U.S. a person can apply for and obtain a "concealed carry" permit that allows them to carry a hand gun on them, or hidden in their car.

If they get stopped by the police, they must reveal the gun, but do not get into trouble for having it concealed.

joncollins222
Rating
depends did you shoot the cop i.e. you can say no to the car search most people think that you have no choice but to say yes but they are ignorant you can and should say no

schurz04
Depends on a lot of things. In my state that gun in the glove box isnt even a crime. Simply possessing a gun in the waistband (considering it is concealed) will probably get you anything up to a year in jail.

Kelly F
Depends on where you are. I know here in AZ you can carry a gun to a lot of places without a permit. As long as it's not concealed. And it has to be in a holster...but the holster doesn't even need to be snapped. You are also allowed to keep it in the glove compartment in it's holster without having to have a concealed weapons permit. That's where I carry mine all the time. I've been pulled over with it in the glove compartment and never told anything different.

http://www.cyclequest.com/Gun%20Laws-AZ.htm

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1998/schools/gun.control/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)

Diamond.....1 M/C ~*~*
Rating
It depends on if the person had a permit to carry the gun. If not then it also depends on the state and the gun laws they enforce. My best friend just got caught with a gun on his waist. This gun was not registered and he did not have a permit. He was sentenced to three years. Keep in mind there are other factors that go into like the individuals record. My friend, unfourtunately has a previous felony charge and was on probation at the time.

fairly smart
Rating
If there is a permit, & the person told them about either, when stopped, nothing. If they are not legal, it depends on the state & locality. If they surprised the cop with that fact, they probably were taken down hard, which they deserved.

Marc X
Rating
In Texas...
1) on the waist, if plainly visible, then a Class A Misdemeanor, up to a year in jail and up to a $4,000 fine, even with CCW permit.
2) in the glove box, no offense on the face of it, even without a CCW permit, unless it can be proven beyond any reasonable doubt that the driver was not 'traveling' as defined by Texas code.

But every state is different, VERY different, so don't use one as an example for all the others. Look it up for your own state.

Andjoua J
Rating
i have now idea.

Andrew Montgomery
Theres sooooo much that goes into it. They will try to figure out why u have the guns in the first place. if theres a permit. and was it loaded. The thing about the glove box is that they have to have a damn good reason to search ur car. even if they do and ur glove box is locked u dont have to open it. they will ask u but u dont have to. My friend got in trouble with gun charges and they told him 30 years but he got out in 6 months so yea theres no way to tell

remoserjr107
Rating
Depends on Local & State Laws...!!

Nicholas B
This greatly depends on weather or not you have a license to carry a handgun.
If you have one....then no time at all as long as you don't draw it on the police officer.

Without a license to carry. I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure they at least take it away from you and issue a fine.

rydact95
glove box would probably get more because of the fact its concealed

originalkippyj
Rating
Nothing if they have a CCW permit, like me. Otherwise, it's a felony, and the jail time varies by municipality, state, priors, etc.

chad c
Rating
i get none. i have a concealed carry liscense.

big buff
Rating
I was told one time that it's better to be judged by 12 , than to be carried by 6 . you decide

§♥Elisabeth♥§
Rating
Depends on what state/country you are in.....who the officer(s) is/are.....how much of pigs they are/aren't

huejw
Rating
Doesn't possesion of firearms bring the mandatory death sentnece?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Should we have gun control??
What are the pros and cons?? Yes, I know we ahve the right to bear arms but America has so many gun-related crimes compared any other country. How does this justify our right to own guns when clearly ...

When a minor turns 18 if they have a criminal record is it wiped clean ????????

Are cops good or bad people??
you always hear that cops are crooks with badges. do you believe that?...

Would you be a secret agent....given the chance???

Transporting Prisoners - Is security too tight just for the sake of it?
When I was getting transferred to jail I was in 'full restraints' - handcuffs, leg shackles, bellychain and box over handcuffs. I don't see how anybody could ever escape if they were ...

Is it rude to actually ask someone with a uniform on about who they are in their private lives....?
Come on a lot of people fantasise about those men or women in uniform........

Do people feel pain when they are hanged, before death occurs?
Do they suffer at all, or is it a quick, painless death?...

Silencers??????
i have seen a lot of odd shows on like history channel and just read a arcticle on a web site. So i must ask. Are Silencers Legal For Cilvilians?...

Do burglars typically rob second floor apartments?

Hero Soldier told he cant join the police because he's white ?
Metropolitan Police are rufusing to even send him a recruitment pack — and told him in a letter they were only “actively seeking to raise interest from black and minority ethnic communities and ...

What can I do to someone who trespass on my property?

When I go outside why are there are small red laser dots?
there are several right in the middle of my chest and one square on my forehead. What gives?...

What sentence would you pass for a man who murders his wife
This judge thought stopping the murderer from going to the pub is a just punishment !!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/...

I got caught with a fake ID from another country. I have a court date and I know i'm guilty.?
How do I keep it off my permanent record? I'm not a US resident either, just a student... so my status is as a student too. Please help!...

The sport of policeman?
I hope a copper can answer this.

Do the Police see it as a sport on a Friday night o see how many young lads they can get in the back of a van and beat him up, 6 on 1, while he is cuffed ...

Why would you break a law?
Which law and why?...

Have you ever been in jail or visit jail?
lol
Additional Details
Cool, Marvz!...

What is the reward for snitching about weed at school?
okay, if a guy has weed at school and I tell on him how much money shall I get?...

No more space in our prisons! The answer: Prisons ships! Who would want to work there?!?
Seriously, who would want to spend days on end on those ships surrounded by prisoners & away from their families for days...?...

Think the NRA should re-think its "all-guns all-the-time" stance?
The NRA is notorious for campaigning hard against any form of gun control, do you think they should re-evaluate their stance, and propose logical, realistic gun control legislation that we all can ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, August 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links