Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

I'm being fined for flicking a cigarette butt out the window. Should I (or can I) fight this?
Find answers to your legal question.

I'm being fined for flicking a cigarette butt out the window. Should I (or can I) fight this?

I was traveling down I-77 South near Brecksville, Ohio an hour ago and was pulled over for flicking my cigarette butt out the window. This is, apparently, punishable by up to a $100 dollar fine. Considering how asinine this charge is, should I just pay the fine, or should I (or can I, and how) fight it?
Additional Details
Really, it's a cigarette butt, hundreds of thousands if not millions get thrown out car windows every day, why should I be singled out?

guido
Rating
i used to smoke, i've flicked a butt or two in my day, but i've done some growing since then. 1. it can and does cause fires. 2. i know of butts flying out of one window into another. use the ash tray, bite your lip, pay the fine. as littering its insignificant, but it's enough to nail you!

Pami
Rating
it will probably cost more in court costs to fight it.

takiatr
well usually most interstates have signs that say something about littering. If there is not a sign anywhere on that interstate then you may have a slight chance on fighting.

Otherwise if you do not have a valid reason as to why you flicked it out the window, then you are pretty much screwed so just pay it and avoid havin the judge be pissed at you for wasting the court's time.

Love!
Pay it, it's littering. You'll never win the case. It is not asinine. The cigarette butts are disgusting and dirty, and the chemicals are bad for the environment. Your car most likely has an ashtray, as well, so there's no reason to throw it out onto the ground.

S C
Pay the fine. At best you've littered, at worst, you've created a potential fire hazard. In certain states, the fine would be much higher than that. In my state, we've lost thousands of acres because someone tossed a cigarette butt out the window.

curtisports2
Rating
Good. I'm sick of people thinking rules apply to everyone but them. Pay up and shut up.

Sarah
omg. just pay the damn thing. it's called littering.

candy
Rating
id just pay it

GhostAngelWarrior
Rating
You deserve to get fined for littering. If they are finning you just because it was a cigarette then I would fight it.

andrew h
It is considered littering, and Ohio takes pride in its interstates (haven't you seen all the signs saying keep it clean!?). If you go to the police department with the ticket, you may be able to discuss it with someone (actually I would call the courthouse, because at the police house they may be biased toward their fellow cop) and tell them what happened, and if there is anyway you can just get a warning. Also, if you really want to fight it, try and find if cigarette butts are biodegradable if they are you may also get more leway.

luciousgreeneyedlady
littering is littering. like you said, hundreds of thousands get thrown out every day. Someone has got to clean them up. would you like to do that instead of paying the fine? Can you imagine how much more trashier the streets would look if there wasn't a fine for littering? Thats what they make ashtrays for and if you do not have an ashtray in your car then use a soda can or something.

Hello
Rating
well i think you should pay it because 1, it is litering, and 2, it can cause fires, and possibly cause another's car to blow up(worse case senerio)

scotgirl60
People who throw their cigarette butts out their car windows is my pet peeve.

Pay it, and next time, just use your ashtray, for pete's sake!

candiderocks
It's considered littering and you're lucky you aren't paying the maximum fine for littering. It's better to pay the 100 bucks than have your name associated with going to court.

Five-O
Why should you be singled out? Because you did it right in front of a cop for one! Did you know the fine for littering is more than DUI in MO? Funny thing we all talk about here. But back on topic. The one thing I hate is when people do dumb S&*( right in front of me while I'm in my patrol car. I don't know if they think they can get away with it or that I don't care. Guess you did it in front of a cop that did? woopsie.

Let's say you go to court. "Did you throw the butt out the window." YES, but........... "Guilty." The excuse of "everyone else does it" doesn't work my friend. You could also say "everyone else speeds, but I got caught." Does that happen? Pay the fine and save yourself, the judge, the officer, the DA the headache of putting up with a retarded court case. I've seen many of them and I'm telling you you don't have a snowball's chance........

What I tell people on a car stop when they say the same thing you did, "Everyone else does it, how come you're stopping me?" My answer: "Have you ever been fishing?" YES "Have you ever caught every fish in the lake?" Think about that one.

Rose o
it is littering...................pay the fine

Heidi H
Rating
You could try but youd probably loose so id just pay it.

bryan
well, if you fight about it, and make a huge deal about it, sometimes they will just dismiss it.

Alex
Rating
You should pay the fine and quit smoking. (or use that nifty little ashtray that your car came with)

You can try and fight it, but if the police officer shows up and says he saw you do it, then your chances of winning are very low. You should consider yourself lucky, in California, the fine ranges from $500 to $1000. Also, in CA if its done in an area of high fire danger you're in really big trouble.

Roz
Rating
If you fight it, you best hope there are not any firemen on the jury.
Your inconsiderateness could cause someone to loose their home or possibly their life in a fire.
You are lucky you are in Ohio, and not Ca. we have very strict laws here about Butts, cigarettes and otherwise.
As a matter of fact you can not smoke in YOUR car if you have a child in it.

hahuh123
Rating
the driver is always responsible for what his passengers throw out the window sorry bud, you could try and make your friend pay you, but hell prolly be a **** and not do it....

God Bless America
It's true, there are millions that do this every day, but there are one in a million that get caught. You are lucky that the fine for littering is $100. Here in my state its $350 dollars. That makes you think twice about putting anything out the window, including your arm. Pay the ticket and quit littering the highways. Use your ashtray because that's what they are for.

bobyummy1973
Rating
Too Bad Don"t Smoke, Simple!!!

Josh
Rating
The girl is right, it would probably cost more in court fees to fight it then it would to just pay it.

Some cops are just DESPERATE to fill their quota. It's ridiculous that they even have a quota. They shouldn't!

codymothergray
That is just ridiculous. I would try to fight it but I'm not exactly sure how but good luck.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is this policeman's actions legal? (worded better details added, please asnwer i want to nail this #####%##%@)?
Didnt word the last question properly.

Well this kid while im picking up my kids from school keeps harrassing me so i try get him on tape harrassing me but he always manages to run away ...

How do you stop SNIFFER/CADAVER DOGS finding the body?
Methods/chemicals...?
Additional Details
Haha, I'm 'writing a book' don't be so TOUCHY!! Jeez, As if I'd do something like 'MURDER SOMEONE' ....LOL

Can my neighbor put up a no parking sign on a public road?
I have always had a good relationship with my neighbors, until recently. I live in an apartment complex but I only have room for two vechiles, mine and my next door neighbor. Lately I have had my ...

Was it legal for an officer to do this without my consent?
I live in mississippi and i was stopped because of my truck bein too muddy from a night of off roadin. before he made it to my door he checked my cooler with out asking me.. which he found a 12 pack ...

If you are walking at night , stopped by the police and ask where you are going....?UK?
Do you have to tell them your name if they ask you? Is it illegal not to?...

Why only one cop in police cars now?
Are the vehicles no longer strong enough to carry two of them at a time?
Additional Details
I can see it if they are short on people, but when 4 or 5 cars race to the same fender bender ...

I have been caught doing 108mph on a dual carriageway. How long will i be banned for?

Additional Details
I went to court yesterday and can report tha I escaped with 6 penalty points and a £315 fine....

Do you think police should have taser guns?
They already have truchons and pepper spray is that not enough to deal with a country with possibly the lowest gun rate? Bear in mind we have armed respose units already in many ...

What do you feel the role of prison is in society?
any references would be ...

I think I just got threatened (details inside), can I use this evidence in a lawsuit?
Okay, so this person owes me a thousand dollars because they wrote me an NSF check. Kept telling me that he'd pay me back but he hasn't. He eventually stopped answering my calls, so I had ...

Can the police arrest you for swearing at them?
(In England)...

What is wrong with saying THANK YOU to the Men and Women who Protect and Serve?
It has been said that you have to have a "Brown Nose" to say thank you to the men and women of our nations police force!

Do I say thank you when I get a ticket? Hahahah! Not ...

Is it okay to hit a women if she made the choice to be a police officer?
I realize it is never okay to hit anyone, but certainly it is much worse to hit a women than a man. Is that true for female police officers also, or should they be treated like a man because the ...

What should I do? I was arrested and was never read my miranda rights?
I did have a warrant out for my arrest...It was for driving on a suspended license.
Additional Details
First of all, I am not trying to get out of anything. I paid the price for my ...

Is it true?
A POLICE OFFICER CANNOT ARREST YOU IF HE IS NOT WEARING HIS HELMET OR CAP...

Is it possible to call the police station and ask for a certain cop to come for assistance alone?
I'm 6'5 and 325 ...

Can a police officer pull you over for just a suspended driver's license.?

Do you like the police?
Have you ever had a bad run in with them?...

Whats a good self defense gun?
I work second shift wich leaves my wife home alone untill 1am, i want a gun to be in reach incase she needs to protect herself. We live in NC if you need that info for gun laws.
Additional D...

Refusing consent to search?
Police asked for consent to search my vehicle. I said no and they said there dog will be here in 15 minutes. I stated that i was a criminal justice major and dogs can only detect heroin, meth,...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, April 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links