Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

I Stole Money. What Is the worst thing that can happen?
Find answers to your legal question.

I Stole Money. What Is the worst thing that can happen?

I have never been in trouble with the law, and I never been in court. This would be my 1st offense if caught. So what is the worst thing that could happen legally?? Jail?If so, how long? Probation? House Arrest? What is the punishment for the theft of about $900 bucks???
Additional Details
Im 18, i wired it from an online Paypal account to purchase online goods. Is that better?

together at last
Rating
You'll probably become a talk show host.

Heidi 4
Rating
I have no idea what the WORST thing that could happen but I do know the BEST thing for you to do for YOURSELF!

PAY THE MONEY BACK OR MAKE ARRANGEMENTS TO PAY IT WEEKLY OR MONTHLY.

You have deprived another person of what is legally theirs which indicates you are a very selfish, dishonest person. Even by your question it is evident that your attitude is: IT'S ALL ABOUT ME.

Do you have a conscious, if not, discover when and how it died. I truly feel sorry for people like you who are totally unconcerned about the rights of others.

Ben Aqui
Rating
What is your self-respect worth?

msconfused
Rating
get caught
go to jail
get a bad record
not trust worthy to jobs, or denied for several things such as apts, etc.
stay out of trouble
is it really worth it?

yaya
Rating
You do it again and get caught!? You store that in the back of your head and remember it next time you go to steal, that someone worked for this money, or object. its people like you who make me lock my door.

Michael R
Rating
Well any theft over $500 is a felony so you will face fines, have to pay the money back and also probably go to Federal prison.

Rating
Anything over $500 is considered a felony, so you can get jail time .

chuck_junior
900 dollars makes it a felony. The fact that you used an electronic media (Paypal) and obviously used someone elses bank acct or credit card makes it federal. Get yourself a good attorney, but plan on doing some time in club Fed.

KC V â„¢
It sounds like maybe "Theft by Deception" or "Theft by Fraud" which are both serious offenses because of the amount. As a first time offender, it would be my experience, within my own jurisdiction, to see that you will have to pay "restitution" with probation up to around one or two years. Best wishes.

Judge Dredd
Since you are not very smart and can't even realize that maximum punishments vary from country to country and state to state (which is why you probably steal for a living), the worst that can happen is you get your hands cut off is some countries. Since you probably live in the US or UK, you could get 6 to 12 months worst case.

tony c
the chances are you will get probation and be ordered to replace the stolen money-but bear in mind this is at the judges discretion-he could jail you!!. if found guilty you will also be left with a criminal record which if you were to find yourself on the wrong side of the law again would almost certainly be raised at any future hearings and this would almost certainly see you jailed.

Tiny Dancer
first of all $900?!!!! that is grand theft... which is a felony. so at 18 you'll have a felony on your record... you are lucky it was online because otherwise you could get also charged with burglary or robbery depending on what happened... which would give you more felony charges. you will probably go to jail for a short period... go to court... have to pay back all the money plus additional charges in court fees and fines. it will be harder to get good jobs for the rest of your life because you will always have to mention that you have a felony on your record. Pretty much that was a really bad decision you made... you better hope you dont get caught.

stephizzal
Rating
be glad ur not a guy, otherwise you wouldn't wanna know the worse thing that could happen whilst u were in jail.

i suppose the person you stole the money from could send the boys round on you, that wouldn't be very good either.

lisateric
Rating
They can chop off your hand. Wait, what country are you in?

Gary B
Rating
I'm not going to say anything about the moral side of this since other answerers already have, except to say that if your conscience is bothering you, you really should consider whether God is trying to get your attention and may want you to do something about it.

Legally, I think that this would be considered petty larceny, which I believe is a misdemeanor. Jail time (or much anyway) seems doubtful to me if you pay it back. Depends on where you live, of course. Here's some information that might be useful (scroll down to the "legal dictionary" part):

http://www.answers.com/topic/larceny

koban4max
It's a felony and you will be in prison because it's over $500.
Hate to tell you this..but you should be worried.

Dig in!
You could get jail time but probably not for a first offense and $900.

girlofgumbo
jail, hell, prison tatts

therernonameleft
Rating
you could goto hell.

gman124124
Well if they somehow find out who you are which isn't all that hard all they need is a name, or a phone number and they can find your address very easily. you could be visited by someone who is going to pound you off of walls and doors for half an hour, meanwhile you won't have seen the other person's face, you end up in the hospital with no charges to press. Is 900 dollars worth that. It probably is to the 1 you stole it from

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

My neighbor is shooting his gun in his backyard What do I do?
My neighbor is shooting his gun in his backyard What do I do? It's not a bb gun, not airsoft. and he doesn't like us. Do we call the cops?
Additional Details
we're within ...

Legal question regarding tenant next door in Apt complex...?
OK, I snore - badly!! Well, my neighbor just had her boyfriend move in and he is a WALL BANGER. Not knocking, but to the point of moving the pictures on the walls. I have called the Apt ...

Do you like the police???

What are the effects of banning guns in America?
Now with Obama as our next president, the controversy about gun control and banning has risen. I personally was against gun ownership but when I thought about it more, I am now stuck in the middle!...

Is this legal?
Is it legal for a 18 year old girl to date a 16 year old boy in PA?...

Has the hamburgler ever been arrrested yet?
He blantly commits crimes of hamburglary....

Is there any such thing as a random police checkpoint on roads?
...where a group of police officers can stop you at any time & check for your Drivers License or Alcohol/Drugs etc? I am referring to American and Canadian police....

I got pulled over and recieved a speeding ticket for rushing my son to the Emergency Room??
My wife and I woke up about 2am to my son having a difficult time breathing, so we grabbed him got in the car and drove to the hospital which is only about 5 miles down the road. Halfway there I see ...

How would a cop handcuff a one armed suspect?

Can I be prosecuted for this?
I was in a city park after hours.

I did not do anything harmful, just sat there and watched the sun rise.

If I admit to this on my blog, can I be prosecuted?

What ...

For those old farts livimg in nice areas of Britain is not a violent society you make me sick.?
Moss Side in Manchester people being shot in parks....

Sympathy please?
This is so shallow but i feel sorry for myself, i got pulled over by the police last night for having a rear light out and it scared the wotsits out of me. Pathetic, i know, but i thought i was going2...

You hear all the news about Racial Profiling, but, even if there are 5 times more blacks in jail,?
Does it really matter? I mean, a crime is a crime and punishment is punishment, no matter what color you are....

Why do police officers "protect and serve" themselves and each other more than the public?
If they really care about justice being served why do they want to stop people from taking matters into their own hands? At least when people take matters into their own hands things get taken care ...

Would you go to jail for 23 days for a million dollars?
Safe in solitary confinement for 23 days, sure. Well thats what Paris gets, a drunk driver getting paid 1 million by NBC. I am not going to watch their interview or any of their shows from now on. ...

What happened with your last encounter with a policeman?
Ticket? arrest? bad news?
Additional Details
Olf Fuzz, What were those stories?...

If a Cop knows something that is illegal, are they obligated to report it?
For example, say a cop found out that his brother bought/sold, produced/cultivated and used drugs.. Would it matter if they are on the clock/in uniform?...

Why was Ted Bundy the greatest serial killer of all time?

Would you call the cops if someone egged your car?
I found 2 eggs someone threw on my windshield. Should I call the cops? Is it worth it? Would they do anything?...

How often should you be able to be caught breaking the speed limit?
http://www.ananova.com/n "Drivers who break the speed limit by a large margin could be given six penalty points, a consultation is expected to suggest, ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links