Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

I defended myself in a fight and I go to jail?
Find answers to your legal question.

I defended myself in a fight and I go to jail?

I own a small business and a guy comes in and nails me in the face. I proceed to fight him until he is not coming after me. I call the police and they arrest both of us. After the fact they find a gun in his pants. They say that I should have not fought back and I would not have committed a crime. Is this right?

TY
You will always have the right to defend yourself. Self-defense will always hold up in court, unless you used excessive force.

goliathntime
Nine out of ten times, the police will arrest both parties until they can sort out the legalities. I doubt very seriously if you have anything to worry about. It's not really up to the police whether or not you will be charged, it's up to the DA.

limgrn_maria
Rating
The police weren't there to see how the fight started.. so in most cases they will arrest both parties then investigate...get yourself a lawyer and it will be handled..

copswife
yes i am sorry but it is, it is not their job to tell you that you were correct in hitting the person, that is the judges job. When they get there they need to diffuse the situation immediately then ask questions, if it is found that you were defending yourself then you will have no charges against you. it is the act of hitting is what they are there to stop, just because you got hit first does not mean you did not hit. it is different for different departments, some have leniency with this type of thing others do not. You may have an officer that sees things in black and white and always goes by the book. I am sure when you tell your side of the story in court, if it is the way you say it happened, you should be cleared of all charges.

iamct01
Rating
That is true but when it gets to a judge I think you will be OK.

Rob
Rating
You both were fighting and its your word against his to a point. The courts will have to figure it out.

Polo
Rating
Reasonable force is ok.

Vicky
That is wrong, you had no choice but to defend yourself and it is wrong of them to tell you that you should not have hit that person. What are you suppose to do let him beat you up and he also had a gun.

This is so wrong you need to report this to the authorities... (Good Luck)!!

innocence faded
Rating
Morally, no, I do not think it is right. Were you supposed to allow the guy to keep attacking? To kill you?

As for the legal part, you need to consult a good lawyer.

fr_chuck
Rating
You need to hire an attorney, if you had a chance to escape and did not, in many states that is illegal.

lomatar1186
Rating
wait till you go to court. and the judge shouldn't give you jail time.

Jean Paul
No matter what the cops or the law says, you were defending yourself and you didn't know about the gun!, I am sure if you knew you would have try to avoid a fight. Just be clear and honest most of all!! don't you think?

purple_kathryn_ni
Rating
as far as I'm aware you have a right to defend yourself.

Timeless - watcher
Rating
Defending yourself is not a crime.

mathborg3691
Rating
that was crap in arizona youd be able to shoot him and youd be a hero

kit
Rating
No. It wasn't. I'll venture to guess the guy waasn't white which is why you got arrested. And they say we don't have a big problem. This is key. Anyway, all are innocent until proven guilty. Let the judge hear your story, gather your witnesses if any or your security tapes. File your charges and hire a competent attorney. Be prepared to launch a civil suit offensive of your own. It will be a big help.

Pam
Rating
depends on your state. in other states you could have shot and killed him with no questions asked since it was on your property

waynekirsten
to us, no it's not right but that 's the world that we live in. I say they will never understand until it happens to them ......when some one walks up to some police officer off duty and beat the breaks off of him then they will start to understand. Sorry that you had to go through that.

Spirit Walker
Rating
Sounds like the cops are real stupid to me. Self-defense is permissible in any CIVILIZED country. The the guy was a cop's brother?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do cops have the right to enter your yard uninvited?
I know they need to ask permission to come in to your house, but what about your yard. I'm curious because the cops let themselves in my gated yard tonight because we were too loud. They were ...

Anyone know what the penalty is for shooting a dog?
My sister's dog was shot to death by a neighbor when he got loose and entered the neighbors yard. Her family is so upset and we are sick about this. Can this a**hole go to jail???? The dog ...

What can be done about gun crime in Britain?
visit this blog.
http://tamesidecitizen.b...

It is a concidered opinion, of mine, that the Goverment, both National and Local, have allowed a monster to ..
.. grow and perpetuate! The situation has now gotten so bad, that they are afraid to even mention it, let alone do anything about it! The POLICE! They are now a law unto themselves. We are the only ...

Serial killer?
II think I had a run in with a potential serial killer today. I was at work and this man came in and bought a lot of stuff and asked me if I could 'deliver' his purchases seeing as he has ...

Have you been arrested and why?
Was it something minor, embarrassing or were you being very naughty?...

'Officer friendly"?
WHO are the policeman that you see at night wearing black tactical uniforms NO.... It'S not the Swat Team, FBI, ATF, or DEA with the sunglass on, riding in special cars, with smoke coming ...

Why is it animals are treated better then people in prison?

I turned my CHEATING ex-boyfriend into the police?
Because I knew he had outstanding warrants. He'll be off the street for a while now. lol

Does that make me a bad person!? I mean come on! He's the one who broke the law, right?...

Is it illegal to kiss in a public place???

What is it like doing time in prison?

Additional Details
PLEASE dont answer if you havent been in prison......

A question about forgery????.....read here.......anyone in law enforcement?
My uncle was married for 25 years to a woman who turned into a meth head 2 years ago. They have been divorced for about a year now. Yesterday, she came to his house to "visit her grown son"...

Can the police seize a car that marijuna was found in but it is not the owner of the vechicle that was driving
my husband had marijuna it my vechicle and was pulled over. We are no longer together but he borrowed my car. My vechile has now been seized by police. What can I do to get it back....

Domestic violence?
There are my neighbours, they fight all the time, he throws chairs at her, and throws her against the wall, and she screams, and their children scream. One day it was worse than ever, so I called ...

Is it illegal to buy a baby from a crackhead?
if a crackhead were to come up to you and say "will you buy my baby for 70 bucks?" Can you buy it and take it to the police or somewheres. Your buying it for the childs future so how can ...

Ref:Help! I have been charged for Breastfeeding my baby and using the hard shoulder of the motorway to do so?
I have posted a previous question so please refer to this. I just want to say that my daughter is my whole world I would never do anything to hurt her or put her in harms way. She is the only family I...

If I got pulled over by a policeman for speeding.........?
Should I accept the ticket or ask nicely for a spanking instead?
Think he'd give it?...

Assault if some one uses martial arts in an assault what would the charges be?
if someone used martial arts when assaulting you would they be worse off if there were charges ...

What's a safe color to wear when strolling through gang-infested areas?

Do cell-phone users tend to think they are above the law?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links