Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

I had my bike stolen today - what should I do if I see someone riding it?
Find answers to your legal question.

I had my bike stolen today - what should I do if I see someone riding it?

It was locked to a bike stand. It looks like someone cut my cable-lock with something quite substantial - while I was in Sainsburys for 15 mins.
The policeman I reported it to said, if I see it, call 999.
However I'm sure there are more interesting things I could do...
Additional Details
Thanks for at least giving me some laughs!

brazilleaux
A brush-handle through the spokes of the front wheel can have dramatic repercussions for the rider but it's all about timing.
A successful insertion will see the miscreant catapulted over the handlebars on to the tarmac, hopefully with teeth removed in the process.
You will require a replacement wheel but the level of satisfaction will outweigh the pecunary cost.

creviazuk
I too had a bike stolen from in fromt of my home. (£2500!!). Reported to police & insurance so all OK.

I saw a young boy riding it a week or two later as I was on the bus (no bike you see...), got my new bike & went out for a ride & spotted him. DO NOT call 999. Get the non-emergency number for the closest police station, and call them on your mobile. Keep the 'offender' in sight (they may have just bought it). To aprehend them or take it back is classified as assault / theft. You MUST let the police stop them.

It will probably be returned to you a week or two after it is seized..

charlie r
Rating
I've had a few bikes stolen in my time. The immediate desire is to knock the sh*t out of them. This can lead to all sorts of problems as you don't know if the rider is aware that it is stolen or if they are armed. Even if they are the thief onlookers might come to their assistance thinking you are a pyscho. Best is to play it cool and try to follow them. If they are travelling too fast try to maintain contact try to get as much of a description as possible. Call the cops as and when you can. They let the bugger get away when it happened to me - he was visiting a suspected dealer and they didn't want to blow the operation. **** happens I guess. Bottom line is it is only a bike Fight not the Monster lest ye become one - and if anyone knows where that quote derives I'd like to hear from you.

Avondrow
This actually happened to me!
I had reported the theft to the police, and just been given a crime number. I had given up, but my girlfriend insisted we take a tour of the neighbourhood, just in case. I spotted my bike (It was very distinctive) being pushed by some spotty youth amidst a crowd of his friends. I went over and took it off him (No violence, I just took the handlebars and wheeled it away from him) he ran after me, protesting, until I took out my mobile and offered to call the police. He muttered something about having bought it off a guy he'd never seen before and wandered off!

voluptuous
Rating
Boot the little buggar off

♥im turkey pizza girl♥
identify who that person is. best bring your camera along and take a pic of that person call the cops asap.

salforddude
Rating
Run after them,catch them,kick the living s h i t out of them ,take your bike back,rob the thieving scrot of everything.leave him naked in the road.Write "thieving scum"on it with black marker pen.If you have a car,gaffer tape the bugger into a package,and leave it on Saddleworth moor
Dont forget to tell the police you have recovered your bike
not that they were looking for it

Owlwings
Well, it would be exciting to make a citizen's arrest but it could be dangerous. If you do see it, a photo of the person would be good - you have a camera on your phone?

Frankly, I doubt that you will see it again. It probably went in a van to be sold elsewhere in the country. If it took something substantial to cut the lock, those things are not the sort of thing carried round in ones pocket.

Your only chance of seeing it again is if you had the frame number and if it gets picked up by the police and impounded - quite unlikely these days, since most professional bike thieves will change the frame number anyway.

The only thing you can practically do is to claim on the insurance and swallow the loss you will inevitably make.

Creviazuk has very wise advice. If someone has subsequently bought it in good faith, YOU could be in trouble by wrongly accusing them of theft!

harry
Rating
STEEL IT BACK

chrissy
Well my sons bike was stolen last summer and I went over to see the boys were teens and my son was 7 and they told him to get the F off the bike his older brother was with him. I was pissed my son was crying and I payed 150.00 for this bike. I walk over were they were and I told them they either give me the bike or I was taking theirs. And they said you can't do that I said watch me. I will let my son take yours and they gave it up. I had a few words for them but I got it back my husband was with me but I really did need him I was so mad. He still has the bike and those kids don't come near him anymore I also called the police on them to tey were on school property.

Aces N 8's
Rating
(1) ski mask
+
(1) baseball bat
+
(1) pissed off former bike owner
=
(3) missing teeth of bike stealer

LINDA P
knock them off it xxx

Wolf guy lupine
Rating
Why not push them and and get your bike back?it's not stealing it's claiming what's yours

deadly
Rating
First be sure it is yours. Speak to the person ask if they needed the bike or did they steal for the sake of it. It maybe they have purchased it from the thief. they maybe unaware of its history. If you ascertain that the rider is the perpetrator of the act stick the end of the crossbar up his rectum. This will contain him in an unusually position as you kick his head in. By the time the police come it will have been sold a dozen times.

sweets
Rating
knock them out and take your bike back. :)

Two-Bit
Dropkick him! Or charge at him screaming and yelling, and drooling, that will scare the little punk!

the_moon_ur_eys
Rating
Id to them what they did to your cable - lock , that would teach !

kj
you should ask them if they took your bike!!!!!

Mr. X.
Poke a stick through the front wheel, and then when the b*****d goes flying through the air and lands on the ground, pick your bike up and ride over them!!!

Pale Rider
There are lots of interesting things you could do, its better to do as the cop says tho.

What goes around comes around the thief will get whats coming to him some day.

Corky
Rating
Grab the seat tube as they ride past - the person on the bike will end up squashing his nuts on the crossbar - remove bike after delivering substantial kick to his bollocks.

summerlands_shadow
Rating
knock them out

jimmythebullstromboni
Kick hes *** all over da place and give him 1 for me they ar da lowest of da low

cutiepie11
if i saw the person riding a bike that was stolen from me.... my temper would flare and I'd do the wrong violent thing and beat the crap out of that person. BUT after asking for it back first and they refuse or disrespect

paul b
Rating
Push the person off it and ride off.

sandra b
kick the sh*t out of the bar steward who stole it

fumanch00
follow him home, then steal his car.

High-strung Guitarist
Buy a motherfecking shotgun and blow their motherfecking heads off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

locksniffer
Rating
Shove them off of the bike then kick them in the shin.Or wait for them to go inside and steal it back.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can the police bust a party if it is private property protected with a gate?
If i were to go to a party on private land with a gate ( piece of steel cable anchored between two trees) can they come onto the property in attempts to arrest people?...

What's the 1st thing that comes to mind when I say: Police?
1st answer that makes me laugh will get best answer....

Try answer this, the right answer gets the best answer for 2 points....?
You have two guys, they are neighbors. Lets call them Jack and George. George leaves for the summer to go to his cottage house. Jack goes into his garage and takes Goerges Lawnmower, Jack uses the ...

How much do you respect the Police?
My respect for the Police used to be total. However over the last few years my mother, my wife, myself and now my son have been the victims of crime, but this one really annoys me.

My 11 ...

Alright, where were YOU on the night of October 2, 1984?
And don't give me any false alibis, I'll be checking up it....

Do you beleive the police can "have it in for someone"?
And harrass them. I know someone, who has, admittedly, been a bit of a pest, but his worse crime has ever been drunk and disorderly. He is an ex squaddie, suffering ptsd, and is now in rehab, but ...

Where were you when...?
the world trade centers were hit?
Additional Details
was in 6th grade. it was the end of the day and the teacher finally told us what happened. i was taking out the garbage for the ...

Is it worth filing a complaint against a police officer?
I was startled to get pulled over in Pasadena, Maryland and then the officer accused me of swerving. He brought another officer and yelled a lot and wanted me to take tests for drunks. I looked at ...

Capital punishment for these b,s who abuse and kill children who cannot protect themselves. Its too often now?
I have just been reading the news and all it is children being horrifically abused and killed. This country has got to get a grip. Our forensic and DNA is sufficient nowadays to make sure nobody gets ...

Who pays my landlord for a new door that the cops kicked in?
Last week I was sitting at home minding my owns business and here come the cops with six cars, a paddy wagon, a helocopter and two dogs. They come up on my house and kick down my door, throw some ...

Why have so many people lost faith in the police?

Why do you believe that the crime rate of African Americans is higher than other groups?
Coincidence or do you have a theory....

If i refuse a Breathalyzer test could i lose my license?

Do you think the police used excessive force on the two bank robbers today?
or do you think they were justified in taking down these ...

What would happen if i shifted into reverse while speeding down the highway?

Do you think guns kills people or people using the guns kill people?
If yo uthink about it, guns are fairly safe, they can not just shot them selves, so i am just a lil curious....

What would happen if we DID put a total ban on guns in this country?
i'm guessing that gun crimes statistics go way, way down and the incidences of murder by some other means goes way, way up...

what say you?......

I accidentally ran over a swan, so I took it home and ate it - can I be hanged for treason?

Additional Details
It was quite gamey. I roasted it but it was a bit overpowering so I made a huge stew - that was much nicer....

Can police come into a house without knocking first?
the police come to my home last night to arest my nephew that lives with me. for a minor assult.that we didnt know anything about.thay just come in opend my kitchen door then souted hello. didnt have ...

I was pulled over by the police, asked to step out of the car, and instead I drove away. what willl happen?
I was pulled over for no turn signal, but wasn't written a ticket. I was in a known drug area, and the police wanted to search my car which I refused. This happened 2 counties away from where I ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links