Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

I threatened someone online can I go to jail?
Find answers to your legal question.

I threatened someone online can I go to jail?

Okay well I'm 13 and I threaten to beat someone up online because they cheated on my girl friend and I dont know him and he lives in another state but could I go to jail? I also said he should of died for cheating on a girl.

k-li
no you would not go to juvie, but the police could talk to you about it.. just dont say that to the same person more than once....

mrscasti
Yes, online threats are illegal. I doubt you will go to "jail" for it, but you did break the law. Given your age, if any charges were pressed, it would be in juvenile court and therefore would be sealed and would not appear on your adult record. But practically, I doubt the person you threatened will report it, or that the DA will press charges. Good luck!

:)
Rating
uh yeah......if they report your threat to the police and file a complaint/charges you can be in alot of trouble. Internet threats and threats of bodily harm are no joke. If you get put in juvenile hall do you think the girl will come visit you?? LOL your stupid!

TG
This is actually an issue going through the courts right now. The internet is a whole new ballgame legally speaking.

fiddegirl
OK, you're 13, and what you did is make a terroristic threat. You're too young to have a steady girl friend, too young to go to jail or get the death penalty, but not too young to be charged either locally or federally with making terroristic threats or assault if the other kid reported it to his parents and his local police department.

⌠AқS⌡
Yes, this is called cyber bullying. If he does report you to some authority that connects you two and say that your comments make him not want to go somewhere or do something, you can go to jail or have a fine

BCs Do It With Intensity
Rating
Yes you can actually, even if you are 13.
Depending on where you live.
It will likely only be a holding cell even for a few hours. Depending on the time that you are taken in, you could spend the weekend in jail waiting for a court hearing.
Then there's all the nice court trips and lawyer fees and all that nice stuff.

But that's *if* someone calls the police.
Which I doubt there are very few people idiotic enough to do so if you are stating an empty threat.

stephens.chan
Rating
A) You're 13, and would be tried as a minor. So no, you wouldn't.
B) I doubt he's going to resort to reporting you to the police, as you are merely 13. If it was a 25 year old man making the threats, the situation would be a bit different.

This is because a 25 year old has the means and the motives to accomplish such a thing, while a 13 year old probably doesn't have the means, and likely won't have the motives to seriously attempt to kill anyone.

taby2007
Rating
no i dont beleive you can you are still young and you are right he was wrong but let her handle it next time i know it is hard because she is your friend. i understand guys can make you that mad

bow
HAHAHAHAH

well you will prolly be sentenced to death!!

Q Continuum
You're 13. I assume the other guy is of similar age? Chances are very good that you will be fine.

♥taken♥
Rating
naww u shulndt be worried
nice job tho =)
yehh people who cheat on girls SHOULD die!!

Jessica C
Rating
NOT A GOOD IDEA...TRY TO DELETE THAT. I'M SURE YOU WILL BE FINE. YOU MIGHT HEAR IT FROM THE KIDS PARENTS AND THEY MIGHT TRY TO MAKE A BIG DEAL AND THE WORST THEY CAN DO AT YOUR AGE I THINK IS CALL THE COPS AND THE COPS WILL HAVE A TALK WITH YOU AND TRY TO SCARE YOU SILLY SO THAT YOU NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. AT THIS POINT JUST RELAX!

Sandra S
Your not old enough to go to jail, just a jouvinile delinquent center or something, but that IS illegal, it depends if you get reported by that kid.

råïñßðw gïrl
Rating
Yes, but the governemt doesn't really care about doing all that work to try and get your IP, etc, etc

you won't go to jail, most likely

but stop doing that...

zephanblaxberg
Rating
You're 13, you can't go to jail...It amazes me how stupid young people are.

LilQ
Rating
No. But, you shouldn't make such comments online.

atlanticpepsi
Rating
Yes. Especially since you are an official teenager, you are probably looking at 50 + years and maybe even death row.

Abby C
i think so

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do you think officers are wrong in some cases and arrests?
i was arrested for assult by a prisoner on a police officer while handcuffed.witnesses had said i cooperated and did not assult anyone.do you think police exaggerate sometimes just to get an arrest ...

With all the street crime in London, is it time to introduce New York style Zero Tolerance?

Immigration - should I help?
I work at a retail store. For one of our services we need a social security number to run a credit check. I get about 3 customers a day who don't have social security numbers or work permits ...

Is it possible to pull a cop over as a citizen?
Here's the story... it's like 9 pm at night and I was driving on Business drive and I saw a vehicle ahead of me and it didn't have any lights on... no headlights... no nothing. So I ...

Whats your thoughts on all police officers in the UK carrying Taser ?
Taser is the electric stun guns that are being trialled over the U...

If I found $10,000 on the ground...?
Would i legally be allowed to keep it? Does it matter what it is i pick off the ground or much it is?...

Shouldn't we ban every word that is offensive to anybody?
why stop at the "N" word? why not ban every word that offends anybody. We should enforce it with strong penalties - 1 year in prison per offense. I know that it might be "...

If a cop stops you for no seat beat by law does he have to write me a ticket or can he just give a warning?

Indecent exposure ???Court date??What if you cant pay the fines?
I am 19 yr old the guy in question is 18.It is a Indecent exposure fine that we both got.Neither one of us can afford to pay because we dont work (college students living on an allowance).I really ...

I defended myself in a fight and I go to jail?
I own a small business and a guy comes in and nails me in the face. I proceed to fight him until he is not coming after me. I call the police and they arrest both of us. After the fact they find a ...

Ticketed for allegedly running red light.?
Ticketed for allegedly running red light.?
Cop falsely accused driver of running red light.Definitely light was not red at the moment driver's vehicle entered intersection.IHow can driver ...

Does it cost money when you call 911?
i called the cops on the non emergency line and was woundering if it costs me money to do so. what about calling 911?...

What happens if you use a fake ID?
f you are trying to get into a club 18 and up and you are like 17 and have a fake...

saying you are like 21.

what happens?
do you just get rejected...
or do they like ...

If you were a witness to a murder would you talk to the police?
I saw 2 rival gangs fight and stab someone. I also saw which way the suspects ran. I am afraid to talk to the police because i'm afraid those guys will come after me. They saw me looking and ...

What will happen if my husband got caught driving under influence of marijuana?
My hubby is a local dump truck driver who got pulled over for light but police found over ounce of marijuana and small scale,they dropped dui but will d.a file for possession or drug classes? he dont ...

I just received my very first speeding ticket but I did not sign the ticket. Can I get out of the ticket?

Is it illegal for civilians to use flashing lights and sirens?
Is it legal in the United States for a civilian to operate a flashing blue and red light and/or a police siren? I mean, as in, flashing the lights or what not, not pulling people over....

If The Police Come To Your Home To Question You, Do You Have To Let Them In, Or Even Talk To Them?
I've noticed on episodes of Law and Order, or Without A Trace, when they go and question possible witnesses or suspects, that they get the door closed in their faces, refusals to talk, etc. I ...

People attcking fire crews?
What 's happening, why on earth would people want to attcack fire fighters whilst they tackle blazes? There are reports that they have had bricks, stones and bottles thrown at them, they have ...

Can police officers search your home without a warrant?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links