Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

If I have a warrant and I go to court with half of the money I owe, will the judge still send me to jail?
Find answers to your legal question.

If I have a warrant and I go to court with half of the money I owe, will the judge still send me to jail?

Joe S
He could. Better be ready with a legitimate excuse and a realistic date of when the remainder of the money will be paid back if you are allowed to do so.

?!
its totally up to him, just hope you get a compassionate judge and next time take care of things before they get this out of control

talent4god
Rating
If the judge thinks you are worthy of it he will let you .. its up to him

Kacky
Rating
I'm afraid the warrant means they will put you in jail even if you have all the money you owe. The warrant means you probably missed a deadline or a court date so they decided to arrest you, even for a little while.

Charlie
If you take half the money and have a plan about how you are going to pay the rest you have a pretty good chance of staying out. Most judges only want to put people in jail as a last resort. If you show that you are serious about paying the money off, however long that may take, and do it you should be fine.
Good Luck

huesito
Rating
i would try to mail in the monye play it safe

Lawn Gnome
Probably not, you are making an effort at your obligations and the court should take that in consideration. If he places you in jail, you can make no $ to pay, so it is illogical to place you in custody when you are demonstrating and effort to abide by the original ruling.

That_ blue_ eyed_ Irish_ lass
Rating
Most likely yes . You must have all the money that you owe

?
Rating
it depends on what you did and how much your restitution is?

yes, a warrant is for arrest but it doesn't mean you'll go to jail. it depends on what the charges are and what is due.

It also depends if the any of the charges have to do with violence and your past record. Depending on if your state or fed the bonding process is different. you may or may not have to post bond.

if you edit your question with more detail, i can probably help you out.

from the way it sounds, i do not believe you will go to jail.

vince
Rating
Most likely, yes. It costs the courts money to process a warrant and serve it. So it's comparable to charging a credit card, not paying it, and then in the hopes of keeping your rate low, you want to make a partial monthly payment. The company will only entertain your requests to keep your rates at the present rate only if you can either pay the minimumm payment or total balance on the card. Honestly if you have more time than money, consider doing the time rather than paying your fines.

Jewel
Rating
PLEASE overlook any typos! lol

If you have a warrant you need to go to the court house and try to make arrangements to pay what you owe, before your court date.

If you go to court it ususally depends upon the judge. If you were given ample time and you did not make arrangements, the liklihood of your going to jail is moreso. But if you are trying they see that, and are easier on you. This is why I said try to now BEFORE the court date, if you show a willingness to try, they see things a little differently than had you no tried at all.

If you do go to court and have no evidence of trying beforehand, they will ask you to pay it in FULL before you leave to the clerk. If you can't then they process you into jail.

Now if this is a mistimenor it is less likely you will go to jail, and the judge will work out payments with you. If it is a felony, that is another story.

Sweet Mamacita
Rating
Depends on the judge and city you are in, were I live there is not room in the jails, so they will allow you to pay half the fine, and tell you when the need the remainder. Now if your town has lots of room in jail, they might take you....just kidding, just tell them this is all you have but will pay in full by such or such day.

webserfun
Rating
Probably not.
Most bench warrants are for unpaid speeding tickets.
They are best handled as soon as possible.
Showing up in court shows your willingness to work with the court to pay your fines.
The jails are for real criminals, and not traffic offenders.
But, that said, if you just wait to be picked up, then yes, you will end up in jail.
Go to the court and let them know you are trying to make good on your debt and give them a realistic timeframe in which to pay.
Most judges will work with you, I believe.

Marty B
Rating
get a lawyer

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What law would be enforced if a child crime took place in the 1970s?
if a child committed a crime in the 1970s what would the police and law do....

Why do the police always put their hand on top of a prisoners head when they are getting into a car?

If you are a 'free' thinker and explore ideas 'outside the box', are you a target of the security services?
I refer specifically to use of the internet - do the security services monitor both questions and answers on 'Yahoo answers', and do our questions and answers make it more likely we will ...

Why would you want to get a gun in the first place?

Is it illegal?
Is it illegal to drive in the uk wearing wellington boots?
Additional Details
yes I am serious......

Has anything happened?????

What should I do after being arrested for battery assault, even if I have witnesses that I didn't start it?
While working at a restaurant, I bump into a co-worker whom I had altercations with before, I spilled water, he punch me on the face, we fought. I thought it was over after they pull us apart, and ...

Can a cop pull me over after i have parked?
Last night i was making a quick run to 7-11 which is in the huge shopping center and was pretty much empty. the cop was parked in a space in front of the 7-11. i found a space across the cop which ...

If you worked in the police force?
and you were called out to your house, would you arrest your wife / husband / mother or dad etc? or let someone else do it?...

Is verbal abuse on the Internet a criminal act?
I have been verbally abused, lied about and threatened by a poster, on several sites. I have also received nasty emails under the name of several of his avatars. He has used my initials and even the ...

What charges do you get from running from the police?
What would be the charges added on with whatever you did if you ran from the police and got caught?
Additional Details
If your underage what would those charges do to you?...

Can the police get a reading from an airplane then allocate this reading to your car ?
I've heard that the police have been known to point a speed gun at an aeroplane above in the sky, record a speed of say 70mph then they record this speed as your speed and there's nothing ...

Driving under the intfluence of weed?
How bad is driving up to a mile and a half high?...

I need to find out if I have a warrent out for my arrest in New York state how can I go about this?

Additional Details
P.S. I'm not dumb enough to go IN the police station to ...

I got in a accident with on a suspended license it was not my fault?
My license is suspended for failure to pay for a ticket. I was on my way to church to pick up my daughter when this car made a left turn infront of me and I hit her but I had the right away. Am I ...

Is giving out?
ASBO'S enough to tame the yobs of today? How would you like to keep them inline?
Additional Details
Donna M....Thank you......some just a bit slow to catch on lol....

Can the police seach your home for a wanted person without a warrant and if so how often before it is?
deemed ...

Is it legal for a cop to pull you over when you are parked in a driveway and out of your car?
i was going the speed limit,going to the back of a houseing track. he followed me but not when i turned onto the street. i got home got out of the car and was walking to the house and he pulled up. ...

Do street cops in England carry guns like in the USA? I'm not talking about airport police, but regular street
Do street cops in England carry guns like in the USA? I'm not talking about airport police, but regular street cops. I know about 12 yrs ago they didn't carry guns normally, but has that ...

OJ Simsn hs been cleared of murder and has been proven innocent. Then wy arent the police looking the killers?
Oj is an innocent man. Proven innocentin a court of law.

People should just leave ht ep poor guy alone....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links