Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

If a 17 year old runs away from home, what can the parents and police do? PLEASE ANSWER!?
Find answers to your legal question.

If a 17 year old runs away from home, what can the parents and police do? PLEASE ANSWER!?

My best friend left her home, and stayed with her boyfriend for two weeks. She now wants to come live here with my mom and I. we have no problem with it, but we want to know what her mom can do. Her mother is "forcing" her to go home, but she doesn't feel safe there. her mother is constantly kicking her out, screaming at her, hitting her, etc. HER MOM KICKED HER OUT, BUT IS NOW CLAIMING SHE RAN AWAY! her mom also has a handicapped daughter, and uses my best friend as a babysitter. my best friend feels like she is not treated fairly. We live in MA, if that helps. can her mom force her to come home? and what if she were to go speak to an authority figure, and ask to legally live with my mother and I, how would she go about doing that? any information/websites are GREATLY appreciated, thanks!

B-Jrizzle
Wow this same EXACT thing happend to my friend. Well, if her mom has filed a missing persons report, and the police find her with your mother, your mother can go to jail, and if you hide her, and the police find out your mother can be charged with abedding a minor, because any child who is reported as a run-away instantly has broken the law and will be taken to juvee until the parents come and pick her up. The only thing she can really do is turn herself in a file for emancipation and explaim that she doesnt feel safe living with her mother and that she has a place she can safely stay.

There are many programs for children like this you just have to find them but becareful, some are on the parents side no matter what and the real ones look out for kids interests i have a really good one, but i cant see mto find the number, illl get back to you and let you know :)

KIELi
Rating
my sister did the same thing. if shes almost 18 i'd say stick it out. if she has a while to go, go speak to the local police. get a court date and have your mom become her so called "foster parent"

spaceoddessy1
Rating
Because she is claiming her mom uses her for daycare and she is being abused.She can call CPS child protective services.and tell them the story and they will more than likely let her stay there with you until the court hearing which could take months.by than she might be 18.But if the authorities find her before you do this legal, whoever she is staying with can be charged with harboring a runaway.

Lady Strange
She should contemplate being emancipated.

fluffy in Cali
Her mom has to say that so she will not get in big trouble. Contributing to the delinquency comes into mind when you mention your mom.

Beth
My brother did the same thing. he came to live with me afterleaving our mother, who was a very dysfunctional person. She had the cops at my door that night. My fiance and I had previously called a Judge in Boston (friend of the family) He stated to us, that if the child is over sixteen, a parent cannot legally kick their child out, but a child can legally leave the home. Because my brother was seventeen, it made for a stronger case. I should also mention that he was not my biological brother but a child placed in my mothers home by the Dept. of Social Services. When I spoke with the police and showed that he had a safe home, a room of his own and food on the table. They spoke with him separately to make sure he was not being held against his will, and to ask why he left. After the stories he told, the police suggested WE file for a restraining order and that he could stay.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Will the law enforcement investigate a $600 credit card fraud?
Law enforcement dont investgate credit card fraud unless its over $2000 is that correct?
My friend stole my card, an Fcking spent $500, and i reported to police, its been 2 months, still nothing ...

Bought a new ( used ) mercedes 600CLK.. Crack Cocaine everywhere in the car..?
I bought the car on Wednesday, registered on Thursday, and went on the road Friday.. Miami Dade police pulled me over about 12 last night and searched the car.. Car had small bags of crack cocaine ...

A cop said my boyfriend was "indisposed" what does that exactly mean?
my boyfriend had called me earlier today to come over and hang out, when I arrived at his house there were two police cars and my boyfriend in the back seat. A cop came to my car and said "Matt ...

Why am I in better shape than many, many police officers?
Why are police officers allowed to be fat? Don't they have standards you have to maintain?
Additional Details
I just think it's sad that many of them are so fat. It looks bad! I...

Question for police officers?
when someone calls the police station to complain about something (an ababndoned car, barking dog, illegal activity, etc...) the secretary always asks for your name.
Do you check the persons'...

I dont want a warrant out for my arrest?
i got a ticket back in september for driving with no license but i now i have it and i went to court and they cut my fee in half but see i lost the pink paper saying how much and when? im pretty sure ...

What is your favorite part of being a police officer?
Other then just putting away the bad or misbehaved people.Theres got to be something else you love about being a police officer.So is there?if so what is it?
Additional Details
Except ...

How many days are you suspended for?
its been @ least 2 days and my frend is still suspended....

Do you get an ID card for going into the Police Cadets?
Just out of interest when joining the police cadets, do you get an id card?...

Is anyone following the race for LA City Attorney?
I have been seeing a few thing and this Trutanich guy seems like a pretty bad choice....

My court date is monday... HELP :(?
I am under 18 and I have two tickets within a two month period. Both times the cops didn't actually clock me and give me how fast I was going, they just knew I was speeding. I got failure to ...

Stopped by the Police ... What will happen?
Me and 3 other friends climbed over a fence in order to get into a childrens play centre, which is basically a park with swings and a slide etc. After we'd finished playing, we climbed back over ...

To all Govt. servants. what was the feeling when you took your first bribe ?

Additional Details
PAMP
i am from India and i can vouch that there is not a single public servant in my country who is not corrupt including the highest of highs and the people who ...

Did three law enforcement officers in Pittsburgh, PA really die over a dog peeing in the house call?
That seems kinda crazy to me.
Additional Details
Seems like if more people solved these little domestic squables without involving total strangers less of this thing would happen....

How long would you go to JDC/jail?
i have some friends tell me that you can go to JDC for fighting,if you in a sport like boxing. iv been in boxing for 3 and 1/2 months and all i want to know is how long would you go to JDC if you get ...

Is it possible for a 17 year old to be an undercover cop?
I really want to be one. How would I look into it and find out about how?...

Received a speeding ticket in Pennsylvania and I live in Texas. Do I have to pay it?
I know some states aren't in alliance with others, so I was wondering if I didn't pay it that I would just have a warrent for my arrest in Pennsylvania and not T...

Is there a website where to find out if I have a warrant?

How many female police chiefs/directors in Illinois?
Where are they located and how long have they been in the position, include campus law enforcement....

Is it legal to carry a shotgun in your trunk in southcarolina?
I just bought a 12 gauge pump shotgun and i drive a hatchback if i put it in the hatch and its not visible or loaded is it legal to carry? o and btw im only 19...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, July 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links