Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

If an officer writes incorrect data on a traffic ticket, is it dismissed when I contest it?
Find answers to your legal question.

If an officer writes incorrect data on a traffic ticket, is it dismissed when I contest it?

I have a citation that I am contesting by written declaration. The officer wrote on the ticket that I have a 1985 vehicle. In point of fact, it's a 1995 vehicle. I'm sure this will be taken into consideration, but will this fact alone dismiss the ticket? Thanks everyone.

bretttwarwick
Yes it should get you out of a ticket. I got out of one because the officer spelled my last name wrong.

smu_cb
Rating
Yes.

I had a ticket that was written for me doing 62 in a 42, when in fact it was 62 in a 45. It was immediately dismissed by the clerk and I didn't even have to go to court.

Movie Guy
Rating
My brother is a trucker, and when he gets a ticket he always takes it to court, and he usually wins. He stragedy is to keep postponing the court date, because hopefully the officer will forget to show up after it's been changed so many times. Also, some counties (some in FL for one) don't pay the cops to go to traffic court, and make them go on their day off. Guess how many of them show up? Not many! When they don't show up, the judge automatically dismissed it.

And I'd say you have a good case if there's innacurate data. Go for it!

fr_chuck
I am glad you know this will be taken into consideration, because it would not in any court where I have ever worked.

The judge would tell the officer to write more clearly next time, or even a joke about the year of the card, and then ask you if you have any evidence to support your claim that you are not guilty.

So nope don't expect it to have any bearing on the case being dismissed. IF you would like, since the statue of limiation is not over, they can dismiss that ticket and merely write you a new one at the court house with the correct info, since the ticket is merley a summons to appear.

so I would say you are better off looking at the evidence of the case

Country Girl for Life
Rating
They will not dismiss a ticket because of this. It makes no difference at all if an error was made on the vehicle infomation, if you contest it you will still have to pay the ticket.

Sherlock
Rating
You can quite rightly claim that the vehicle described is not yours. But you will probably not be successful in any attempts to avoid payment. If it goes to court, it will be judged as an acceptable error, which still determines that your car is in breach of the law, regardless of the faux pas.

mawma
Rating
no you could try but want matter.

Mazz
Rating
no. Usually only if they got the violation wrong, not the vehicle type.

Drive carefully.

Judge Dredd
More than likely not. People get lucky once in a blue moon but it doesn't happen often. Your taking a chance because I've seen some judge's get bent if you take that to court. Then again the judge may just shrug still find you guilty and tack on a court fee. So if you want to listen to the YAHOO! ANSWERS lawyers, take it to court.

koolnsweett
nahh they still going to try to take your money this is the end of the month that cop was trying to meet his quota unfornately you got caught and are probably innocent

Mommymonster
Nope. You can try, but it won't do any good.

‚ô•Hon‚ô• Luvs the Lizard King!
Rating
No. I once got a ticket and the last name was totally different than mine, but I still had to pay for it

pat s
Rating
NO

Fred C
Rating
Sorry, but you are likely out of of luck. If the make, plate #, and driver are correct, as well as the date, and location, a malformed digit is really small potatoes. If you are contesting because you are not guilty, good luck, but if you are contesting because you can't afford another mark on your licence, I am afraid it's tough noogies.

SST
Rating
not a chance. good luck trying though. be careful... if you go into court your fine could multiply because the judge sets the fine.

Lori H
Were you speeding? Instead of trying to "Beat" a ticket because he inadvertantly wrote the wrong year, pay it and admitt you were wrong instead of trying to find a loop hole to crawl thru. Chances are the traffic stop is on tape. So it doesn't matter if he got the year wrong on your car.

Also Police Officers don't have quotas "hey you wrote a hundred tickets this year, your wife gets a toaster over", thats stupid,

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How come i've driven like a twot for 10 years and never had an accident or even been done for speeding ?

Additional Details
rikki: i think you could be right!...

What would happen if there were no laws...?

How do you become a police officer?
I'm very interested to know how to get into this line of work. I'm thinking about first applying for the MVP to give me an idea of what it might involve, but I don't know where to go ...

In the US, specifically California, do you need to carry your Driver's License?
I heard if IF you get pulled over, the officer can just look up the ID and DL# for you....

Is it illegal to flick off a cop?

Should drugs be illigal?
Cause people are going to do it anyways
Additional Details
if we now people are going to do it anyways why stop them cause they will try harder if it is more ...

Can you get arrested for killing a snowman?

Is this fair for a police officer to write someone a ticket for doing this?
driving without registration, but the person has a print out operating permit from the DMV allowing the person to have their driving privelage until their car is registered?

The cop was ...

What would happen if....?
What would happen if two people who are conjoined twins committed a crime, but one of the twins was not active in committing the crime since he or she had no control over the arms and legs? Would ...

What is the basic reason for most people who go to prison?

Have you ever ridden in a car with somebody that drove so crazy that you felt your life was in danger????

Which is the best product to use for protection; Pepper Spray or Bear Mace?

Additional Details
I work with mentally ill patients and after last night, I think I need additional protection as oppose to the self-defense classes the institution offers......

Can i get a car tax by showing faxed copy of my insurance?

I am 17 years old, but I don't drive. How can I get an ID?
I do NOT want a fake id. I have a debit card for my bank account and I work, but I have no ID. For instance, I went to Walmart to buy a game rated Mature, but because I don't have ID, she ...

How can you prove that you were not on your mobile whilst driving?
I got pulled over last night for supposedly being on my mobile. The police past me going the other way i was doing about 50mph and so were they. I definatley was not on my phone, they checked my ...

Can you get arreseted if you flip off the cops?
i was just ...

A girl get's arrested for 118 mph in a 55 mph zone in New Mexico. What will happen to her?

Additional Details
The only other details I know are she spent the night in jail and was released on $500 bail. She was getting arraigned this morning....

How do you get out of jury duty?
How do you get out of jury dutie? I work as a trader. I trade stocks for a living. I can't go to jury duty....

By law can a cop tell a person that they can' t go the bathroom before they put them in the cop car?
a friend of mine got stopped 4 no turn signal and dui before they was putting her in the cop car she asked the cop twice if she could go 2 the bathroom he said no i can't let u do that and on ...

What happens when somebody reports you for drink driving without the police seeing you in the car?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links