Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

If arrested and held for questioning,how long can the police hold you for?
Find answers to your legal question.

If arrested and held for questioning,how long can the police hold you for?

Can they extend that time? If yes,for how long?...
Additional Details
I havent done anything!
A friend of mine asked me the question as her boyfriend has been arrested,he is waiting to be questioned by the police.
He has been a naughty boy but what the 'crime' is we dont know!...

jamie m
48 hours. They then can apply to a magistrate for a further period if they really suspect you are holding back on info.

John D
Rating
If he is under arrest and in custody, they can hold him for a "reasonable" period before taking him to jail.

shirley v
is 48 hours if you are not charge

vdv_desantnik
Rating
24 hours but they can ask for extensions in the case of serious crimes and if its terrorism its 3 or 5 days depending on how long they decide to hold you

LIAM GERARD C
depend on the crime theft 72 hours but more serious crimes IE terrorists well check out Guantanamo bay although if its minor and you did it i always found signing for it and was bailed pretty quick

frankturk50
After 24 hours a superintendent can extend by 12 hrs then if further extension required the suspect can be taken before magistrates court this only applies to none terrorist offences.These times refer to custody without charge if you are charged then a remand in custody would be applied for at court if neccessary.

charlsyeh
Rating
it all depends on your laws. in texas is is 3 days and then they have to charge you or release you

Rahouel
72 hours.

laurie
Rating
in my city it is twenty hours. that gives the officer time to get a warrant from a judge. if a warrant is issued and bond set they can hold you until you come up with the bond or until court.

momma
Rating

greecepepsired
Rating
the police can only hold you for 6 hours unless charged. in scotland but i dont know about any where else

MenifeeManiac
Rating
They can hold you for 72 hours.

They must charge and schedule a hearing for within 72 hours of arrest and mandatory custody, or they must release you.

sarah1962
Rating
72 hours is the max they can be held for, before they need to charge them, they can also go to the court and ask for a further 48 hours, after that they need to be released,hope that helps, keep safe,all the best

Steven C
In the USA if you are arrested they can hold you until your trail if no bail was set. They can hold you until your bail is posted if bail was set at a certain amount. If you are arrested but not charged formally then we have 72 hours to let you go. Or you can be held for that same amount of time (72 hours) on a mental hold.

Bardic
Rating
Here you go for the genuine info : http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-rights/chapters/the-rights-of-suspects/police-powers-of-arrest/police-detention.shtml

linda p
48hour and then they have to apply to a judge to keep you longer

pstzqueen
Oh dear what have you done??
24 hours, then extend for another 48 hours
or if your a terrorist 90 days I guess.

HA HA at you!
Rating
The police can and will do whatever they feel like. They can hold you as long as they want or let you out whenever they feel like!

Just look at Paris Hilton! If it wasnt for the media, she would have been home in 3 days and stayed there.

raichasays
Rating
When you ask a legal question without saying where you are, not even the country, you will get a lot of different answers from all over the world that will be the wrong answer for you.

In the US, unless you are being held under the Patriot Act, the answer would be at least 72 hours. Courts are closed weekends, so it has to be 72 hours so that they can hold you all weekend and charge you on Monday.

If they don't, then you can talk about "habeas corpus".

naplusultra
Rating
Usually it,s 24 hours, they can extend it to 72 hours, then apply for an indefinite period depending on the crime.

The Parthian
Rating
Depends on where you were arrested, what law is controlling, what the charge was, how long was normal and what is extended?
Too few facts to give an answer.
Get a lawyer.

GAVIN E
Without charging you they can only hold you for 72 hrs.

After that they will have to charge you with what you have been accused or let you walk away.

silverfoxcb7
depends what you were areested for u can be held for up to 28 days thanks to recent events soon to be extended to 90 days dont worry though it will make the daily mail readers sleep easier

stinkypinkyteddybear
3 days without charge they then have to charge you or release you. I think it also depends on the crime.

Kenneth
Without charging you I think 72 hours.

mikey
If someone is "arrested" then the police can keep them as long as it takes for he or she to bond out. That individual can refuse to speak to Law Enforcement without an attorney present. Find new friends.

undercover elephant
Rating
36 hours, extendable by application to a court by 24 hours, and upto a maximum of 72 hours. Or 90 days on a terrorism matter, before being shipped to Guantanamo on a rendition flight to be beaten and anally probed.

Doctor John
If this sham democratic government gets its way..indefinitely

Emmah
Rating
Habaes Corpus. They can hold you without reason for 24 hours. If they charge you, you're stuck. Seriously, these people don't know a dam* thing.

Lori K
Rating
If you are charged, you can be held until trial. If you aren't charged, I believe it's 48 hours.

LT*KUSH*21
i t depends some are 48 some are 72

Politico Pablo
Doesn't seem to be any agreement on how long police in the U.S. can keep you in custody for questioning. How about they can interrogate you in shifts for 36 hours straight until you talk. Always ask to consult with a local attorney.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I saw a policewoman!!?
i saw a police woman today driving and using a mobile phone/radio what a cheek what are your thoughts?
Additional Details
Righto mab
and would the mere mortal be allowed to talk and ...

Where are the police?
why are police a complete waste of time, you never see them on the streets, stations are part time, crime is ...

If you see a police officer breaking the laws of the united states can you make a citizens arrest on him?
With the increasing rates of police corruption and police brutality we need to stop this evil.

Can honest citizens perform a citizens arrest on bad cops.

Let's say if we ...

Can you get a traffic ticket for cutting through a gas station parking lot to avoid a red light?

Can I go to jail if I hurt my wife?
I caught my wife with another man on Saturday and the guy thought I was gonna kill him but told him to give me a 20 he did not have one just a 50 he gave it to me and I threw him out. I put the 50 in ...

A man refuses to pull over and is pursued by police ...?
.. for a period of time. Finally he willingly pulls over, is quickly surrounded by squad cars and police aiming revolvers at him.
The police throw his door open and proceed to drag him out of ...

If a cop pulled you over and asked to search your car, would you consent?
If a member of the donut brigade pulled me over and asked me to consent to a search, I would refuse. Tyranny happens a little bit at a time and you have to fight it, even when it seems trivial.

Why are we so soft on criminals ?
It seems to me that we need to take a hard line with all criminals and forget about the do-gooders
Additional Details
Prisons were a great deal harsher in the 40s/50s, less chance of ...

Important: warning to everyone.?
I recieved an e-mail this morning claiming to be from the bank of Africa saying that in the year 2000 a family died in a plane crash and there isn't a next of kin to send 5 million US dollars to ...

What is the best thing to do if an intruder enters your apartment and you are in there?
There is no back door to escape. There's the balcony door, but I am thinking, it wont be of much use because there wont be enough time to get to it to go out and jump out (I am sure to break a ...

Do all Americans like to carry guns?
And would you ever really use one?...

I want to become the world's greatest drug dealer what do i do?

Additional Details
the wanted answer is become a pharmacist!!...

Why do famous people get paid more then the people who save lives?
Like policemen, paramedics, surgeons, etc....

Can anyone tell me why we have the police?
i have an assignment and my task is to give reasons for the roles responsibilities and purpose of the police and i'm stuck can anyone ...

If I killed in self-defense, would I go to jail?
I've been threatened by my psycho drug user ex-stripper neighbor yesterday and called the cops on her. It took them 30 minutes to get here. She almost broke into my house and I was ready to grab ...

What do you think about drink drivers?
Or people who try to avoid being caught by posting questions like "how do I avoid a breath test?" on here.

Serious answers only please as I have lost someone very close due to a ...

Leagalise all druge yes or no?
Would it be wrong to give everyone the complete known facts about all illegal drugs before either opening large compounds where those who wish to possibly become addicted and kill themselves could go ...

What is freedom ?

Do you have complete confidence in the British Justice system?

Why did the police NOT arrest the Muslim women outside court yesterday?
With the full black uniform [can't spell burka] waving banners screeming "Police burn in hell" being PROTECTED no less by police WOMEN incase someone were to attack THEM.
A...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, December 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links