Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

If someone is on your property, and you ask them to leave, and they don't, can you shoot them?
Find answers to your legal question.

If someone is on your property, and you ask them to leave, and they don't, can you shoot them?

If you have a REGISTERED gun and the gun is completely legal?

Just something I've always wondered!
Additional Details
I live in PA, and say you come outside with your LEGAL firearm and the person tries to attack you after repeated commands telling them to get off your property?!

consrgreat
I am also in PA...and the rule is ..after telling them to leave you may yse force to remove them..HOWEVER..you may NOT use lethal force if you can avoid the situation

In order to use lethal force 3 things MUST ALL HAPPEN
1 it must be your property
2 The entry must be illegal
3 You must feel that serious harm or death will be caused by them..and there are no other options,,,,,

aka if your trapped.....and they are gonna hurt you bad after breaking in to the house....yes...

trespassing in the yard...no...but you can push them off...

Best bet......Call a COP

SmartA$$
If they are an immediate threat to your safety (or the safety of others) then you can shoot them out of self defense.

If they are not an immediate threat, you are supposed to call the cops and let them come and remove the person from your property.

A tip my sister received when taking a gun class: if someone is breaking into your house, let them get inside before you shoot them. If they are outside, all they have to do is claim that they were going to knock on the door and ask to borrow your phone or ask for directions or something, but once they have entered your house, you can claim that they were an immediate threat to your personal safety and you will have a legitimate claim of self-defense.

Bill H
Rating
depends on where you live, and if there are any witnesses.

john c
When I lived in Colorado you didn't even have to ask them to leave, and the gun didn't even have to be registered.

There were very few burglaries back then.

Pfo
It varies by state, but I can't imagine you could ever shoot someone that didn't pose an imminent threat and not face repurcussions for it.

Giggles
Rating
In Florida I believe you can even shoot them in the back, if they are in your home. Outside I don't know.

Specifics depends on local laws.

Apathy020
I think in Florida you can do it, and im pretty sure that is illegal in Baltimore, where im from. Other than that I dont really know

Headtater
That really depends on your local laws and the situation. Most of the more liberal "blue" states would not support you, but most of the more conservative "red" states might. In any case, if the trespasser is not threatening anyone's life or limb, you should not shoot them. For example, if some idiot is just standing on your front yard, just standing there, you can't shoot them. However, if that person is acting threateningly with a knife or something, then you are more justified.

Some states allow you to shoot anyone as long as you have clearly posted signs warning that trespassers will be shot.

Mr. Goodhi
You can if they have a weapon & you think your life is being threatened. That only applies in some states.

Hue
Rating
uhmmmm..... back in the days like in the 1900s yeah!!!!
But these day its called
ARRESTED FOR "ATTEMPED MURDER", You can go outside with a bat and woop their ***!! But that will still get you into trouble with the law {do at your own risk}
OR just called your local police department, and tell them there are hoolagians on my property and they wont leave when i asked them too!!!

Put_waste_in_its_place
Rating
Sure, you could do it with an unregistered gun, but be prepared to go to jail either way.

Spots * B4myeyes
Rating
Nooooooooooooooo. Only if you fear for your life; and it has to be a credible threat, not just standing in your yard making faces at you.

sensible_man
No. You would need to prove your life was in danger. My car is registered and legal but I can't run you over for not leaving my property. Just call the police.

answers2questions
NO. You can't use deadly force against someone unless they are threatening you or another with bodily harm.

If you have a problem with trespassers you should ask your local police or sheriff to explain your options. If you live in a rural area, you may be within your rights to brandish the gun, and ask them to leave, but you'd better check with the law enforcement first.

You can get more with a kind word than you can with cruel ones - however, you can always get more with a kind word and a gun.

july5_uk
Not if you live in the UK. if you live in America or Iraw or Afghanistan... then using guns appears to be second nature... so I am sure many people would shoot first and then ask questions later. Strange world.

knight of the Kings Kingdom
Rating
this is america
you can shoot anybody
it's guaranteed in the constitution

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Anyone know law on going through red light.?
A few weeks ago friends were visiting from, were visiting from Holland. I have been sharing a few peoples cars.,when there not getting used. The owner of one of the cars asked me if i had been caught ...

I got pulled over for running a yellow light i got a ticket?
I did speed up to make the light, however i never broke the speed limit. I also got a ticket for not having a my current address on my license. Should i fight these tickets or i am screwed?
i ...

What states allow women to be Police officers?
I was told that the only jobs that are available for women are teacher, nurse and secretary. I was thinking of becoming a police officer, but since women are not allowed to train for this kind of ...

Did the police perform an illegal search on me?
I was in my friends backyard. The way his house is designed the front porch entry of the house leads to the backyard withour one having to step foot into the house. The police officers where ...

Why do american police eat doughnuts?

Who do u beleved killed oj simspons wife?
do u think oj had anything to do with it? just a bit concerned since the book "if i did it"...

What crimes have you committed?

Who are the most disgusting criminals on th planet? what should we to with them?
I've gotten so many interesting answers for my previous question I decided to ask this one too.

I think the most disgusting criminals on the planet are those who get pleasure out of ...

Are you a police officer?

Should u really go to a maximum security jail for selling 9.2 grams ($20 sack) of weed to an undercover cop?
my friend now has a class B felony charge for selling weed to an undercover. She has no priors and she was with someone and he got probation. She had a $10,000 bond
and had to go to Prison for ...

What tools are the most effective in fighting illegal drugs today?
What enforcement tools would you suggest be used?...

My friend who visits me often has a motobike?
the other day a neicbour said that the noise from the bike is too loud and that he is to turn it down and that other neighbours have been complianing and they are going to report me to the council it ...

Cops in america?
i just finished watching an episode of 'cops' and iv come to a few conclussions...

1. cops ALWAYS have their guns drawn

2. god forbid you get pulled over with a broke ...

Can police just come in your house without a warrant?

If we leaglized pot?
couldnt we fire about half of the police and get rid of those loafers .it seems like we have all these dumb laws just to keep these generaly unemployable people working we could have much cleaner ...

A cop wrote the wrong date on my ticket.... can it be cancelled???
i got in a lot of **** last night from a speeding ticket... but i got a ticket for driving past 12am with a provisional license... but i didnt know that i had to get it changed after a year. im 19 ...

How can I get rid of a stalker?
Six days ago a young women(about 28 I think)asked if she could share the table at our local coffee shop I said certainly. While chatting she brought up politics and asked what i thought of the ...

If I stand in front of the police station all day with a Barney uniform singing I love u, can they arrest me?
Will their taser work through that thick Barney costome?...

What do you find most disgusting about cops?

I got a ticket for going 59 mph in a 40 mph zone, do you think i can win the court trial?
i got a ticket for going 59 mpf in a 40 mph zone. My actual speed according to the officer was really 69, but he told me that he was going to write 59 on the ticket, and that if i chose to go to ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, November 28, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links