Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

If someone is provoking you to fight with bad words are you allowed to hit them?
Find answers to your legal question.

If someone is provoking you to fight with bad words are you allowed to hit them?

Allison from Puerto Rico
Legally the first one to swing is guilty of assault; however, if you resist the temptation of putting your fist where their mouth is you will develop something called tolerance which will make you an even bigger MAN/WOMAN. It may sound cliche like stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. If they are provoking you constantly you can charge them with harrassment or even stalking if they are following you around. Always try to avoid violence, its safer to let the person grow tired and just look for another tree to bark at.

garrisonbight
Rating
NO... it is an established in law, that WORDS is not sufficient cause for violence.

CGIV76
Provoking is not actual contact, but you do have a right to defend yourself. If you strike first, you could be arrested for battery.

Meeeee!
nope.

antswife
Rating
no- you are supposed to walk away so that you can avoid a fight. However, if they actually strike you then it can be classified as mutual combat if you strike back.

Good luck!!!

kevin friend
Rating
not if theres any witnesses around,

kenziebenz
Rating
dont resort to hitting and frighting with body strangth until they hit you. just walk away

☻Got Emma?☻
no, whoever thows the first punch is the one to get in trouble

Joe S S
1. Make sure no one else is around to witness....Unless its YOUR witness...

2.Beat the sh*t out of 'em....Then just say they struck first. That's self defense.....

In other words just lie about it. That's what the c*ps do!!

EDIT"
And by the way anyone that says that violence is never the answer...Or that violence never solved anything...
Is full of sh*t!!!
Historically violence has given birth to all great civilizations and countries...

That is the biggest piece of propaganda that is floating around today....Its not just stupid. Its absolutely wrong!

volleyballchick
Rating
Why? They are just words!

Grow up. If someone is smack talking, walk away. It keeps you out of trouble.

Yesugi
Not in America, unless you're a cop or a celebrity.

rachel t
People can only make you feel provoked if you give them permission to. C'mon, be the bigger person with more class. Put on a good movie or go work out and quit giving them the attention they DONT deserve from you.

John H
Believe it or not, some courts in some jurisdictions have recognized the concept of "fighting words", usually a threat, as a valid defense for some assaults. Don't count on it being true where you live without consulting a lawyer.

gremlingts
Why not provoke them BACK, then when they strike at you, you can hit them back,and claim self-defense? Words are just that, if you let them bother you, you will lose. But you can use them as a weapon as well, against the other person, by insulting them or their family until THEY try to hit you. Then you can legitimately strike back to protect yourself. Smile while you insult them. Taunt them with the fact that their insults come from a small mind. If you refuse to play their game, or throw it back at them, you will get greater satisfaction than if you give in and let them provoke you. Words are not illegal, and are protected by law, so if you try to hit someone, YOU will be in trouble, not the person taunting you.

Don't let the other person's petty insults bother you, if it does, just smile and come back with a bigger insult to them, and try to provoke THEM to hit you first, so you can claim defensive priority. That would be the best challenge to their attitude. Take a better one than simply getting mad and trying to hit them, you need a more sophisticated ( and grown-up ) way to deal with it, that maximizes your chances of being the "victim", instead of being a punch-thrower due to "mere" words. Yes, they can hurt, but only if you let them. Turn them around on your verbal attacker, and you will be the better for it. Good luck!
- The Gremlin Guy -

otisnick
no. you cant legally lay a finger on them. but if they throw the first punch then you can go ape **** on them. the first punch is what is considered. if you hit them first you can get charged. just make sure there are witnesses around to account for you being the first one hit.

nickyboy666
Only if you are a cop or the son /daughter of a cop.

CAring Dude
If you hit someone who verbally assaults you, you are going to be in greater **** than them. You will be charged with assault, which is a crime. Verbal assault is not a crime. You have to go to court to sue that person. But physical assault is a crime and the person who committs it will be charged by the attorney general.

geniaus
according to the castle doctorine if you feel threatned you can defend yourself without being attacked first, Just convice them you were threatned and you should get off.

kreacher92
legally no, but i agree-you totally should be able to, they're doing it for exactly that reason...so, give them what they want and beat the **** out of them!

Nickname
Rating
Yes, you could hit them. But unless it's self defense (which in that case it's not), they could press charges and you would be the one at fault.

Tigger
Rating
Walk Away, do not lower yourself to their bottom feeder level

jenny
Rating
technically speaking, you can hit them, but you could also be charged with assault and battery, but best advice to you, let them hit you first, then you strike back, then you could say you defended yourself

Courtney
no

*~*C*~*
Rating
Nope... But clearly they're smarter than you... If they want to get into a fight with you, they provoke you, you throw first punch, they can kick the living sh*t out of you and if you try to press assult charges, as soon as the cops hear you threw the first punch, they pretty much dismiss it. And in fact, if you give him so much as a black eye he could press charges against you. Then he says you assulted him during a heated discussion and he simply defended himself.

I had someone try to press charges against me when I literally beat her to the ground. Everyone who watched the fight told the cops she started it. I got off, no further questions asked. Same thing happened with 2 of my friends.

Play it smart.

Whistler R
That would mean they have won and provoked you in to an act of violence. What is wrong with just walking away? If you are big enough you could always hit back after YOU had been attacked.

Liz P
I sure feel like that sometimes! On the legal front, you will be held responsible for assaulting someone and their words won't excuse you. I have several counselor friends who will see the physical person as more at fault than the person who provokes with words. I do think that words can be very aggressive but on most fronts if you hit, you will be seen as more wrong.

free_beer_tonite
Not if it doesn't really matter. If someone was doing that in my house, yeah, I'd knock 'em flat and throw 'em out, no harm no foul, but on the streets, you're taking your chances. You don't know who else is gonna jump in.

Robert W
Allowed? By law, no, it's assault. Schools are against it too.

If you're in school, tell someone who has control over the system and doesn't care. And prepare to have bad words used at you for the rest of your life.

And that's how it works!

karine6619
Rating
No

Walking away is the hardest thing to do, but that is what you should do or call the police.

kamrizzle
Rating
In this scenario, they're probably provoking you so that you'll take the first swing, and thus they can fight you with the defense of stating that you swung first and started it. In my old high school at least, the rule was that the person who started it got in pretty deep trouble, whereas the defendant was rarely punished. Don't fall for that BS.. be the bigger person so to speak.

I have a 15 year old teen ad I'm 14 he came out of a hose breaking my frien I called him a homo and the fing stop breaking and go away so his friends gf came out told use to leave so we did me and friend where walking down the street they followed use and was braking use so we went to my house to get clothes the where waiting in my back alie kept breakingme an my friend never said anything to them besides to stop and go away and now he won't stop texting me and braking me so am I aloud to beat his head in and not get charge because he is harassing me and stalking me .

Redruck
Under the American Uniform Code of Military Justice it is a Courts Martial Offense to provoc someone to violence by using words or jestures. If the person actually acts on the provocation then that person would likely be charges first. I was involved in such a trial where someone screemed profanities and insults at someone else. When the receiver of the screeming testified he was moved to strike the other person but did'nt the person doing the insults was sentence to jail for use of provocing words.

LAPD07
Ima cop this is how u handle a situation luke this, Simple if you talk mess and they approach u and try to hit you u can hit back, you can also strike first if you feel they are a threat to you,

jiffylube
What if they throw the first punch and you block it and beat the shit outta them can they still press charges even tho he made the first move

jiffylube
What if they throw the first punch and you block it and beat the shit outta them can they still press charges even tho he made the first move

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How much do you respect the Police?
My respect for the Police used to be total. However over the last few years my mother, my wife, myself and now my son have been the victims of crime, but this one really annoys me.

My 11 ...

Alright, where were YOU on the night of October 2, 1984?
And don't give me any false alibis, I'll be checking up it....

Do you beleive the police can "have it in for someone"?
And harrass them. I know someone, who has, admittedly, been a bit of a pest, but his worse crime has ever been drunk and disorderly. He is an ex squaddie, suffering ptsd, and is now in rehab, but ...

Where were you when...?
the world trade centers were hit?
Additional Details
was in 6th grade. it was the end of the day and the teacher finally told us what happened. i was taking out the garbage for the ...

Is it worth filing a complaint against a police officer?
I was startled to get pulled over in Pasadena, Maryland and then the officer accused me of swerving. He brought another officer and yelled a lot and wanted me to take tests for drunks. I looked at ...

Capital punishment for these b,s who abuse and kill children who cannot protect themselves. Its too often now?
I have just been reading the news and all it is children being horrifically abused and killed. This country has got to get a grip. Our forensic and DNA is sufficient nowadays to make sure nobody gets ...

Who pays my landlord for a new door that the cops kicked in?
Last week I was sitting at home minding my owns business and here come the cops with six cars, a paddy wagon, a helocopter and two dogs. They come up on my house and kick down my door, throw some ...

Why have so many people lost faith in the police?

Why do you believe that the crime rate of African Americans is higher than other groups?
Coincidence or do you have a theory....

If i refuse a Breathalyzer test could i lose my license?

Do you think the police used excessive force on the two bank robbers today?
or do you think they were justified in taking down these ...

What would happen if i shifted into reverse while speeding down the highway?

Do you think guns kills people or people using the guns kill people?
If yo uthink about it, guns are fairly safe, they can not just shot them selves, so i am just a lil curious....

What would happen if we DID put a total ban on guns in this country?
i'm guessing that gun crimes statistics go way, way down and the incidences of murder by some other means goes way, way up...

what say you?......

I accidentally ran over a swan, so I took it home and ate it - can I be hanged for treason?

Additional Details
It was quite gamey. I roasted it but it was a bit overpowering so I made a huge stew - that was much nicer....

Can police come into a house without knocking first?
the police come to my home last night to arest my nephew that lives with me. for a minor assult.that we didnt know anything about.thay just come in opend my kitchen door then souted hello. didnt have ...

I was pulled over by the police, asked to step out of the car, and instead I drove away. what willl happen?
I was pulled over for no turn signal, but wasn't written a ticket. I was in a known drug area, and the police wanted to search my car which I refused. This happened 2 counties away from where I ...

I have used someones credit card details, and they want to press charges.?
what is the procedure of the investigation? when will the police come for me? what is the likely punishment?...

Do you agree with all these people who claim quotas and revenue generation as the only reason for tickets?
Seems like someone is always claiming the police have quotas, and the reason for tickets is to generate revenue. Of course, I know both are false, but am I the only one that knows this?

H...

If my dad hit me can he go 2 jail?

Additional Details
my dad has an angermanegment problem and he gets mad easily but we have had our problems lately with my boyfirend and stuff b/c my parents dont like him and told me ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, August 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links