Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

If someone say they are going to kill you will they get in trouble,that what my brother in law said to me?
Find answers to your legal question.

If someone say they are going to kill you will they get in trouble,that what my brother in law said to me?

Shakespeare
Rating
Only if you squeal on them!!

Sshshshhhshhh!

Star
If you feel it is a real threat, you can call the police, but they will just take a report for future reference, and tell both of you to cool your heels..

firstmammaw
they should, however when this happened to me i was told that it was my problem by the police officer, needless to say he no longer works on our police force in my county

cdwjava
Rating
It depends on the details and the law of the state where the statement was made. Most states make it a crime only if the threat was so unequivocal as to put you in immediate fear for your life.

If you truly believe he is going to carry out this threat, call the police immediately.

- Carl

Usually when someone comes out and says that directly, most of the time they are bluffing. Now if he was waving a knife or gun in your face it would be a different story. I would just work things out and not use confrontation. Diplomacy works alot more efficiently for everyone. Dont forget about both of your families. Because the victim is not the only one that suffers when something bad happens.

mr_white_the_secure_american
Rating
Do you take him seriously?

joeanonymous
In Canada, threatening death is a criminal offence and a person can be charged and arrested.

Did anyone witness it? If it his word against yours it may be difficult to prove. Do you believe he will do it? Do you fear for your safety? If you do call the police and make a complaint.

the old dog
Rating
It's called "uttering a death threat", and yes it is illegal. Someone who threatens to "kill" you,or "murder" you then you have every right to seek the protection of the law agencies. That is what they are there for.
However; have a care with this because some people are just spouts for idiocy. If you take these fools to court all the time the law agencies will start to believe you to be "crying wolf".
Once that happens they will not be there when you really need them. They will think you are crying wolf.
If I took legal action for every time I heard that against me I would have gone broke in legal fees for nothing.

Real Estate Para Legal
Rating
It is actually a crime of terroristic threats....that is one trouble...the other is that if they say it to the wrong person and the person fears for their life or grievous bodily harm..they may LEGALLY shoot and kill them....self defense...
So it is not a recommended saying....

lady0112
Rating
It depends on if you take his seriously and if you do then you need to do something about it. Go to your local law enforcement agency. Now depending on where you live, here we can get an exparte. This would be signed by a judge saying that if your life is in danger this person is not allowed to call you, come near your residence, come where you work, not allowed to stalk or harrass you in any way or form or call you. If this exparte is violated by the other party then they will go to jail. If you don't want to go that route then you still need to tell someone what was said and who said it. This way if something was to happen you to then it can be noted.

bob P11
I'm sorry to tell you no.

In California, the stupid liberal Unionized state, all you can do is call and file (on the phone) an "Incident Report".

Nothing will be done and no action will be taken by the Police.

However, if you are murdered...they will be there like white on rice.

daddyduh
This could constitute a "terrorist threat", which can be punished by prison. Contact your local police department and give them the facts. They will know how to deal with the problem.

Jak K
Rating
I don't think you can legally shoot and kill anyone. First of all, that is a death threat, and its about 50/50 what the cops will do about it. If a mature adult was to call the police, they could possibly convince them to do something, it really depends who's talking to the police. In Wisconsin, I was arrested on a false death threat and put under a section 51 (threat to yourself or others), and locked up for 72 hours in a hospital or mental facility. The person who called in the false death threat also did it to someone else now. I now pursue to have have a lawsuit against the state and the person.

racingirl14
Rating
terrorist threatening is not taken lightly

Anthony
yes they can if you push it

Daniel
Guys I have a question. My friend is in trouble for saying I'm going to kill you to some girl, but..... That girl physically hit her. What can she do? I really want to help her. Please help

Connie
Someone threatened me can some body convert me

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Who is in the wrong?
hello good people
my girlfriend been hit by another woman the other woman start it first and my girlfriend said the other woman hit her in the face hard as can be and now my gf has to go to ...

Did Mark Fuhrman plant evidence in the OJ Simpson case?
I personally think OJ was Guilty but did the police try to frame a guilty man?
Additional Details
One of the things that always annoyed me was that Fuhrman never gave a satisfying answer ...

A cop lied to me and my Dad; I need advice?
I got search by a cop illegaly in wich I did not consented and he found 2 grams of pot on me. The officer told me that if I told him where I got the pot he would drop the charges and let me go. I was ...

Summonsed to court to be a witness?
i have been summonsed to court to be a witness is there any way at all to get out of it please ...

Cutting through a Parking lot..?
If you cut through a parking lot to aviod a traffic light could a cop pull you over for a traffic violation? I'm just curious, I do it all the time at a certian light near my home....

Are your local police value for money?

Who else here believes that the constitution should be burned?
After all, it's not being used, anyway! Same with the bill of rights. Let's just burn those two things. While we're at it, let's through the flag in there! YES, now we're ...

Question for Cops?
Are patrol officers allowed to carry shotguns in their car? Cause I've heard of police shotguns, but never heard of them being used. Just ...

Why is it that police have been tasering everyone for no reason lately? Do they assume they are above the law?
Police tasering people who shout, kids who look at them the wrong way, grandmothers sitting in wheelchairs.. when will the corruption and unethical behavior ever end?...

I just noticed that my drivers license is expired...what'll happen if I get pulled over?
I just realized today that my driver's license expired 2 days ago on my birthday. I paid my license renewal fee by mail about 2 weeks ago. Do I have to go to the secretary of state and get a new ...

Will my son get bail?
I know this is bad..my son is 15 yrs old and has been charged with 3 robberies, which is going to crown court soon..one of his bail conditions was not to associate with the older boy involved..2 ...

How do i escape from prison?
No, I am not in prison, nor have I ever been. I don't plan to go there as well. However, I'm thinking of writing a story which involves a prison break. Does anyone know of any inteligent ...

True?putting your pin in backwards when being robbedat an atm will give money but also call the police?
I have heard from a relative that if you are at an ATM machine aand are being robbed that if you enter your personal pin BACKWARDS the money will dispense but the police will be called.....is this ...

What should I do if I discover a moonshine still in the backwoods of Kentucky?

If i was urinating in the street in front of some guys house, but not on his property, in the street, if he?
called the cops on me could i be prosecuted? if i denied doing it? since there is no proof?...

Whos glad paris is back in jail?

If an officer does not show up for traffic court?
If an officer does not show up for traffic court, who/how/ and when do I ask for the matter to be dismissed? Thanks legal eagles!
Additional Details
Thanks guys!...

What would the punishment be?
17 year old male who is charged with 2 counts of 'receiving stolen properties'. Both items are under 250. This is his first offense. Fines or Time..or probation?...

Officer to officer question????
I work for the local sheriffs office where i live. And the other day I was givin a ticket for my tint being to dark on my pov. I did not come out at tell the trooper that I was a deputy, but when I ...

Is there a number to call If i expect my downstairs neighbor is doing and selling drugs?
this is serious, i dont like this going on in my home area, and someone in my home has asthma.....i cant call the cops, they need proof, they wont just og in, ther eis a number i was once told of ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, December 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links