Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

If you ask someone if they are a cop, and they are, do they have to tell you?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you ask someone if they are a cop, and they are, do they have to tell you?

Thifty Little Lady
Nope...you shouldn't be doing things that make you worry whether or not you're going to get in trouble with the law!!

holocene epoch
Rating
No.

bryan s
Rating
I am a police officer and I will let you know...the police do not have to let you know they are police when you ask...in fact, the police are allowed to lie to you. The only time an officer is required to tell you they are police, is when they are affecting an arrest, or any other police powers.

Good luck and stay out of trouble!

ItsJustMe
No they do not. They have the ability and authorization to work under cover, so as not to compromise an investigation.

Gentle Giant
Only if the Cop is trying to use his police powers to make you do or refrain from doing something. Otherwise he has no obligation to tell you he is a cop.

Kirk Spock
nope. Kind of defeats the whole "under cover" thing, doesn't it?

Catherine E: VT
No. That's an urban legend.

MP US Army
no

woodyhou
No.

Kimberley Wise
No, that's why we can have undercover police officers and sting operations.

Officer Sunshine
In MOST states, when you ask a uniformed officer his name and badge number, they are required to give it to you. Which, is kinda redundant since MOST uniformed officers wear nameplates and a badge (usually with a number on it) and I know that some departments use a second number as the officer's ID number which is not the number on their badge....

Any way, if the cop is undercover, of course there is no requirement to identify himself to you or anyone else.

HECK, half the time unless you know the cop personally, there are several times an UC cop gets pulled over only to THEN be recognized by his teammate . Oops!

In short, uniformed officers, are usually required to give name and badge number while UC cops are not.

Matthew O
No. That would sort of defeat the whole purpose of undercover investigators, wouldn't it?

rumbler_12
Laws vary by state, but if you ask directly if he is a cop and he says no but charges you, in some states it is a defense on the grounds of entrapment. That does not mean there will not be enough other evidence to convict, though, but in a weak case, it has been known to work.

For the best answer, check your state laws, though and ask an attorney

Not To Serious
No they can lie to you.

Kevy
Heck no! I don't know about you, but I don't like getting a gun screwed into my ear while undercover.

LOOSE BOLTZ
Rating
it depends if he on duty and what type law enforcement

-
This is a really old urban myth.

If a cop is undercover he does NOT have to tell you if he's a cop.

JJack
No, but if they coerce you to do anything then you have an entrapment defense.

Pliny the Elder
I think that if you ask and s/he says no, but then tries to charge you for something that you reveal to him/her, it's entrapment and those charges won't fly.

But I guess I could be wrong.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Jails full?
tonight on tv statment says the jails are full and there is 240 police cells to be used which will not take long to fill then what ?, as the weekend is upon us 240 cells will fill fast
A...

Are there any other police officers on this site?
Just ...

Police didnt read me my rights?
hey, the police officer didnt read me my rights, but i am a juvinile.
he didnt read them to me when he put me into the car, but he didnt hand cuff me.
Additional Details
Okay, like, ...

What makes people think gun control could work?
Remember, in that yesteryear haze, when we started to try out "drug control"? How well is that working?

What makes anyone think we can succeed with guns?...

Just wanna know how you all feel about police officers?
how do you all feel about them? tell the truth, any thing you expect of them? any thing they don't do right , any thing they can do better?, what's you're idea of a perfect officer?

What's with this?
Ok, so something completely obvious that I just now felt like asking a question about...What's with everyone saying they "hate cops" all the time? Why did it become "cool" to ...

I have a warrant for a bad check a wrote in tx, im in mexico for vacation will they arrest me crossing back?
it's a misdeminor and it's from texas and i wote it like 2 years ago, i really want to talk to someone that knows because i dont want to go to jail i want to take care of it back in tx, ...

Since when does police brutality exist?
what are some of the causes of police brutality?...

I Stole Money. What Is the worst thing that can happen?
I have never been in trouble with the law, and I never been in court. This would be my 1st offense if caught. So what is the worst thing that could happen legally?? Jail?If so, how long? Probation? H...

If you saw somene attacking your mother in the street and ran up & hit him with a bat, would you get arrested?
If he was violently hitting her and you hit him with a bat and killed him, would you get arrested and charged for murder? I didnt do it, just curious....

Have you ever known a police officer to tell a blatant lie?
Has anyone experienced, or known of a police offer to lie on oath in the witness box to cover their backs. Does this kind of thing actually happen in this day and age. Do you still trust the police ...

Can I still be a police officer?
In the past, I did some illegal drugs (most of them being over 10 years ago).
I did them casually, and never got into the "druggy" lifestyle.
Now I am a responsible, absolutely ...

Why are Pit Bull's painted as mindless killers?
I'm the proud parent of an Amstaff (also known as Amercain Pit Bull). My baby is gentel, sweet, well-behaved, and smart. He helped my babysitt my 7 month old nephew and even was a comforting ...

What are your views on adult recreational use of marijuana?
Marijuana has been used on almost every continent in the world for centuries. Historians believe it was propaganda against mexican immigrants which led to it being illegal in the U.S. The only ...

What is the most offensive thing you have heard a police officer say?

I need help please 10 point if you help me
i got arrested 20 years ago for running over someone and i just got out today now the police are looking for me again and they have a warrent for my arrest i don't know what to do i don't ...

Should santa be monitored when emptying his sacks ?

When are the police going to do more to curb nuisance youth?
ASBOS dont work! they are a badge of dishonour! all around the UK gangs of nuisance youth prey on estates.So called multiagency are quite obviously not working or we would not have the problems we do....

Why are the men in suits and dark sunglasses following me?

My neighbor is shooting his gun in his backyard What do I do?
My neighbor is shooting his gun in his backyard What do I do? It's not a bb gun, not airsoft. and he doesn't like us. Do we call the cops?
Additional Details
we're within ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, October 26, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links