Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

If you catch somebody trying to steal your car, can you hold them at gunpoint until the cops get there?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you catch somebody trying to steal your car, can you hold them at gunpoint until the cops get there?

Or will you be arrested for brandishing a firearm? Would you hold him/her at gunpoint if you knew it was against the law? Remember, you are the one who is going to be paying high insurance rates if he steals your vehicle.

wscarpelli@sbcglobal.net
I am not a cop, or a lawyer, but I think maybe you can if you have a concealed weapon license. It also depends on the laws of your state. Good question though.

KC V â„¢
Rating
You may not accept the answer, however, every citizen is bound by law, including the police, to use the MINIMUM amount of force necessary to effect an "arrest."

By "holding" a suspect until arrival of the police, essentially you are effecting a "citizens arrest" pending a more formal arrest by the responding officers.

Being that the average citizen does not maintain the same training as that of the police, serious ramifications COULD occur should the situation turn "sour."

If someone were to attempt to steal your car, once you've informed the suspect that you've detained him, pending arrival of the police, I would not make any other concentrated effort without sufficient numbers of witnesses to hold a suspect who COULD be armed and dangerous.

If a suspect were to attempt force upon you, of course, you can use that force necessary to subdue the subject provided it's the MINIMUM amount of force.

Shooting a suspect who is clearly not a threat to you or your safety could bring serious charges against yourself.

Hope this helps.

Sewer Gas
You bet your *** you can! Other charges against you depend on where the gun came from i.e. your coat pocket as opposed to your house. But I wouldn't worry about it 99% of D.A.'s wouldn't bother with such charges as long as you are the owner of the weapon or it's legally registered.

The other poster is sure right in that if you point it be ready to use it.

One other thing: make SURE the dispatcher knows the owner of the car has the offender at gun point and TELLS the responding officers! You don't want to get shot by accident.

Keith
Persons have the right to protect their property.

Matthew L
Rating
You could say you're making a citizen's arrest.

vanamont7
Rating
Look up the codes on ' Citizen's Arrest.'

Nooka
I believe legally, you are allowed to subdue, or restrain somebody who you physically witnessed commit a crime....called a citizens arrest and all have the right, but are not encouraged to do so because more often than not, the citizen doing the good deed is killed.

also, with the weapon, depending on what state you live in, you should be able to use to hold somebody as long as its legally registered. Remember though, once you pull it out, theres no going back, you can not let the criminal know if your bluffing because thats when they get bold, take the gun, and , use it on yourself.

MOON
In La. you have the right to shoot them for trying to steal your car!!

cArTeR
just shoot 'em. say he was mugging you also.

You can hold them at gunpoint, because it is reasonable to think that the robber may be armed, but do not shoot him until he makes a threatning move, and if he runs let him, because you have no justification to shoot.

fr_chuck
Rating
This may vary by the state and even city laws.

Here in TN and GA yes you can, BUT you could not actually shoot them if they ran off, you can not use deadly force to stop someone from merely stealing property.
Deadly force can be used if your life is endanger.

But it is the same thing with thepolice officer, when they pull thier gun on someone, if the person just starts walking away the officer can't just shoot them either.

gaggednprodedat421
Rating
As stated before each state has their own opinion on this and similar matters. Deadly force will always be questioned by the officials that arrive at the scene however. You will likely have to at least go to court and could be charged for it even if the laws in your state are lenient on the matter.
In Florida the law states that so long as the criminal remains in the act of a crime you have the right to use force. However the moment the stop the act you have to stop. So, if someone were breaking into your car and you drew your firearm and they stopped you could not shoot them. However if they continued to, or turned on you, you have the right to use force; given the firearm is registered, etc.
I do know someone that was in a situation where they had to enact this law and ended up killing the suspects involved however... they went to prison, although their home was broken into and his family was held at gun point.
There are a lot of factors involved, the best thing to do is report it, try to get a look at the perp and stay out of the way.

Christopher H
It depends on where you life. In most states this would simply be a citizen's arrest and is perfectly legal. However in some areas, you will go to jail simply for being in possession of a firearm.

Make sure you understand the laws in you state when carrying a weapon.

Brutus Maxius
if you've got a concealed carriers permit and think that you and your gun will be able to contain him safely than you most likely wont get into any trouble

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If you are a 'free' thinker and explore ideas 'outside the box', are you a target of the security services?
I refer specifically to use of the internet - do the security services monitor both questions and answers on 'Yahoo answers', and do our questions and answers make it more likely we will ...

Why would you want to get a gun in the first place?

Is it illegal?
Is it illegal to drive in the uk wearing wellington boots?
Additional Details
yes I am serious......

Has anything happened?????

What should I do after being arrested for battery assault, even if I have witnesses that I didn't start it?
While working at a restaurant, I bump into a co-worker whom I had altercations with before, I spilled water, he punch me on the face, we fought. I thought it was over after they pull us apart, and ...

Can a cop pull me over after i have parked?
Last night i was making a quick run to 7-11 which is in the huge shopping center and was pretty much empty. the cop was parked in a space in front of the 7-11. i found a space across the cop which ...

If you worked in the police force?
and you were called out to your house, would you arrest your wife / husband / mother or dad etc? or let someone else do it?...

Is verbal abuse on the Internet a criminal act?
I have been verbally abused, lied about and threatened by a poster, on several sites. I have also received nasty emails under the name of several of his avatars. He has used my initials and even the ...

What charges do you get from running from the police?
What would be the charges added on with whatever you did if you ran from the police and got caught?
Additional Details
If your underage what would those charges do to you?...

Can the police get a reading from an airplane then allocate this reading to your car ?
I've heard that the police have been known to point a speed gun at an aeroplane above in the sky, record a speed of say 70mph then they record this speed as your speed and there's nothing ...

Driving under the intfluence of weed?
How bad is driving up to a mile and a half high?...

I need to find out if I have a warrent out for my arrest in New York state how can I go about this?

Additional Details
P.S. I'm not dumb enough to go IN the police station to ...

I got in a accident with on a suspended license it was not my fault?
My license is suspended for failure to pay for a ticket. I was on my way to church to pick up my daughter when this car made a left turn infront of me and I hit her but I had the right away. Am I ...

Is giving out?
ASBO'S enough to tame the yobs of today? How would you like to keep them inline?
Additional Details
Donna M....Thank you......some just a bit slow to catch on lol....

Can the police seach your home for a wanted person without a warrant and if so how often before it is?
deemed ...

Is it legal for a cop to pull you over when you are parked in a driveway and out of your car?
i was going the speed limit,going to the back of a houseing track. he followed me but not when i turned onto the street. i got home got out of the car and was walking to the house and he pulled up. ...

Do street cops in England carry guns like in the USA? I'm not talking about airport police, but regular street
Do street cops in England carry guns like in the USA? I'm not talking about airport police, but regular street cops. I know about 12 yrs ago they didn't carry guns normally, but has that ...

OJ Simsn hs been cleared of murder and has been proven innocent. Then wy arent the police looking the killers?
Oj is an innocent man. Proven innocentin a court of law.

People should just leave ht ep poor guy alone....

Do you think that police are rather corrupt in society or do their job to serve and protect?

Can the police come into your house for a party if you are 26, and they get a noise compliant?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links