Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Is a cop allowed to give people rides?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is a cop allowed to give people rides?

I'm just asking out of curiosity. Is it allowed for on-duty police officers to give civilians a ride to some place if they asked?
Additional Details
I'm just wondering because I have seen people in the front seat of police cars before and I am pretty sure they were not being arrested.

Dog Lover
First, the people you see in the front see are probably Civilian Ride-a-longs or Collage Interns on a program to ride a shift with the police.

Or, it could be a victim being transported..... but, they will usually always go in the back.

Next, giving rides is per agency policy.

But, I will tell you the police will give you a ride if you are broken down or something, but you will still go in the back seat.... But, they are not going to drive you home to save you cab fare or something silly.

Rottluver
Rating
It is up to Department policy, but most places allow their Officers to give "courtesy" rides for people in need. Don't expect us to be your taxi service, but once in a while, for the right situation, it will happen. That situation is not because you need to go to the mall and you don't want to walk or take the bus though.......

Sway_27
I once was out at a club and went to leave but didnt know where my friend had parked my car, a nice officer drove me around the streets around the club to locate my vehicle. I assume its ok in certain situations

janamichella
Rating
I got in a bad car accident a few year ago and my car was totaled (I wasn't hurt) and had to wait for someone to come pick me up...well, the accident was on a busy highway, so a cop drove me to a gas station and waited with me - but he made me sit in the back!

Grant Ray came on 12/8/08!
Rating
Yes. My father in law was a police officer for 28 years.

John
Rating
sure, I'll give you a ride any time.

Kat
Rating
Yes. Law inforcement officials are allowed to give civilians rides if they want to. Most times, it's someone without a car, (i.e. they broke down and couldnt get in touch with anyone to come get them), It's always up to the officer.

pensk8r
Rating
My dog ran away once and I was following her and I ended up really far away from my house and out of breath and it was really cold out and I stopped a cop to ask if anyone called in a loose dog. I also then asked for a ride home. He did give me a ride home but I can't remember if I was in the back or front of the car.

Rating
In their personal car, yes. Some depts. may frown on giving rides in a marked police car.

creatrix, nutter extraordinaire
I was walking to pick up my car on a really hot day once and a cop gave me a lift.

They also brought my mom & dad home when they went out on a date and got too far to make it back by curfew, but that was a LONG time ago. (My grandma had a fit that dad brought her little girl home in a police car, LOL!)

Still, cops aren't a taxi service. the answer is yes, but their first responsibility is to public safety.

Ching-Chong
yes, if the person really need desperate they should help them get there somehow. i mean what kind of person is a cop if they don't even help their citizen. if he doesn't or doesn't have a good excuse not to help the guy out, he should be fired.

sirbobby98121
Rating
yes you can...

they call it ''cuffed and stuffed''........

Copgirl
Rating
Sure. I go out of my way and give people rides all the time.

SWAT
Rating
Yes They Are But They Aint No Taxi Service.

mystcarol
Rating
No there is insurance issues. Only on special days like a special programs that lets them do so.

ahsoasho2u2
yes in an emergency situation?
definition of emergency is at the discretion of the officer.
if they have a call they will have to let you out and respond to call.

The Voice of Reason
Rating
Thank God many do. I broke down once and an off duty officer gave my family and me a ride to a local hotel.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What is the longest time people can be kept in police cells?
I know with the prisons overcrowded this happens. I spent a weekend in a police cell waiting to go to court on Monday - was arrested on Friday night. There was just a mattress on the slab and had to ...

Is it considered a crime if some person presents himself as policeman in your country? Does the police react?
I feel frustrated, because it seems that it is not considered by police to be a crime in the country I live.

I informed the chiefs of operative police about tricksters, who play ...

How to see if I have an arrest warrant?
Is there a way to see if i have an arrest warrant? I am in Wayne County IN and want to check fo free online....

Police question?
so im writing a book where this young woman has an affair with a police officer. The officer is 23. but i was wondering if that is realistic, can someone that young be a police officer? would it be ...

Why do some people think punishment doesn't deter crime?
Should this not be looked at in tandem with the risk of being caught?...

Are you satisfied with the amount of service your BANK provides to black americans?

Is it wrong to post the same question in different categorys?
I thought that by posting it in more than one relevant category - more people would get the chance to read it and ...

When will W be thrown in jail?
After breaking so many laws. One would think he should be impeached and serving jail time. Illegal wire tapping, torture of prisonesrs, illegal detention, faith base initiatives, etc....

When is it appropriate for a police officer to draw a gun on someone?
A friend was on national forest land, target shooting legally. He was shooting into a target using a hill as a backstop. A cop entered the woods, drew his gun and demanded that my friend drop his ...

Why are cops going crazy with the taser these days?
I mean we've had numerous deaths already, and i've seen it used on people for nothing more than acting silly while drunk to the cops.

Are cops given too much lee-way when it ...

Do you think I should report this violent ex-gangster to the police?
About seven years ago I developed a relationship with a man who was much older than me and we became very close friends (he had been a family friend for a long time). He started telling me about his ...

Two Lifetimes in Jail?
When a person is convicted of what is usually a heinous or multiple heinous crimes, the sentence of "Two lifetimes in jail" or "A lifetime in jail plus 6 years" is sometimes ...

Swiss army knife?
is it illegal to carry a swiss army knife(concealed -of course) in public?...

If I get pulled over for making a rolling stop and the officer asks to search my vehicle?
Will he really call for a warrant if I say no?

He said he would, and that it would be easier if I just let him search my car. I told him I'd rather he didn't, and he told me he ...

Can you report rape without any evidence can the trial still go to court?
Let's say you were raped seven or eight months ago. You didn't see your attacker but kept having weird dreams about this symbol. One day you are at the pool with one of your friends and his ...

The cops say it is a civil matter????
A friend of mine wanted to buy my car, she had poor credit and couldnt get insurance in her name therefor I let her make payments and kept the insurance in my name, I also kept the title in my name ...

14 year old threatens to kill me?
I am so tired of my fiance's 14 kid threatening to kill me. The kid threatens to kill me when he has a temper tantrum and becomes defiant. First he acts abnormal and immature, then he cusses me ...

Is every cop a criminal?
I see my local police in the bar drunk and watched them get in their car and drive home. These are the same cops that give out DUIs in my town. Something just aint right about that.
Additional D...

I am glad that someone posted names and whereabouts of pedophiles on net?
arn't by absconding. they breaching their parole, probation,and realease licence,and therefore should be returned imediately to prison.to serve the rest of sentence and more for breaching order....

Can a highway patrol pull you over in town if they didn't follow you in?
Say your driving around town, and run a red light or something. Can a highway patrol pull you over and give you a ticket? Does he have jurisdiction in the city? If he does pull you over, what are ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, July 26, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links