Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Is it against the law to curse in public?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it against the law to curse in public?

is it against the law to curse in public?
is that considerd free speech?

Zeo
Rating
Actually yes it is illegal but i don't think anyone enforces it until they are the ones being cussed. And yes it is freedom of speech. It's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't things.

Mickey Mouse Spears
Rating
It's free speech, and you can curse in public. Just make sure you're in a public place. A privately owned zoo, for example, wouldn't be a public place.

the b-i-s-h
actually if you are causing someone else to be offended it would be considered disturbing the peace or disorderly conduct if you upset a civillian

Christy G
Rating
We have an ordinance called disorderly conduct. It covers any abusive, threatening, offensive behavior, or actions to a person or persons". So yes it can be an arrestable offense.

Sheila E
Rating
Yes, if you are cursing someone it is considered intent to disturb the breech of the peace. At least that is what they charged me with about ten years ago when I cursed my sister-in-law.

I♥Choir
Rating
Yes

jamesmom2
it depends on the state and the county and the municipality, all obscenity laws are 'local'

defendant
Free speech has a boundary, especially when there are laws that protect each citizen. You could be charged with a disorderly conduct by using profane or abusive language or gestures which includes giving some the straight finger.

Logic316
Not in and of itself. If you use naughty words in a normal conversational tone, that's quite legal. If you're screaming and yelling like a lunatic, you could be looking at disturbing the peace or disorderly conduct.

Meatloaf
As long as you don't offend anyone, or else that goes against the 13th constitution of free will and proprietary governmentation, which can actually get you imprisoned. This was tried in the Halfer vs Supreme Court Case of 1983. Kinda trippy.

psycho99
no, cuz otherwise i'd have been locked up years ago, right up in there with my best friends, cuz we all swear like crazy, my sister would have a life sentence just for the last two months

Depends where you are.

Some kid over here got smacked with a fine.

Not for swearing at anyone rudely, just for casually saying F*** in a conversation.....

It's crazy.

Just... be careful what you say when the cops are around. I doubt they would do anything. I mean pretty much everyone swears.....

PSU840
Rating
Nope...it is considered free speech

Max
Rating
Yes, punishable by death.

lukeee
Depends who your cursing at. Say a cop not a good idea its considered assault and you can be arrested, cursing because you kicked your toe is a different story.

terrormachine
Rating
Depends on where you live. In the USA? No. In Canada? Depends on what you're saying really. But some countries have stricter speech laws than others.

bls1177
Rating
yes it can be against the law & no obsenity is not covered by first amendment

Totally American
Rating
it should be

G-Baby
Rating
No its not against the law, but I'm sure some crooked cops would bring you in on disturbing the peace, or something like that.

shardy
Its okay to curse in public...Im 10 years old I curse sumtimes not dat much of bad words all I say is id iot fat pr ick and anything I want to say.So its okay 2 curse in public.

Hello
Some of you need to do your home work... it is distrubing the peace very where. It is your freedom if you are in your home and no one else can hear it but in public no one wants their children to hear the filth.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do you believe it takes a certain personality type to be a police officer?

What can I do if a PA state trooper pulled over the wrong person?
I was driving south bound on I-79 about 3 miles north of I-80. He came to the window asked for license, insurance, and registration. I gave it too him, he went back to his car and came back gave me ...

How we can define terrorisim?
what are the basis of terrorisim?...

What is the "right" answer to give when a law enforcement officer asks "Do you mind if I search your vehicle?"
We've all seen "Cops" and/or heard stories from friends on BOTH sides of the equation - cops who tell you of pulling over little old ladies for a busted taillight only to find $500,000 ...

Should National Service be re-introduced to help deal with persistent antisocial behaviour?
I don't mean just for young people either, there's plenty of older people who are guilty of anti-social behaviour, so I'm talking about all age groups not just young people.
A...

Is it against the law to "flip off" a police officer?
Would love some strong evidence here if you could....

Did anyone ever dial 911 by mistake and the cops showed up?
i did....

I just got a £60 fixed penalty notice for not displaying tax disc but?
it had fallen off the windscreen,and was clearly visible on the dashboard, can i complain?
it was a jobsworth statement if ever
Additional Details
i have witness and picture to ...

Can you be arrested if you don't sign a speeding ticket?
I just got done watching a video where a cop was going to arrest the guy b/c he refused to sign the ticket. Long story short, he got tasered for stupidy, but that is beside the point. I know that a ...

Should bush and blair be extradited to the hague for genocide against the world concise answers please?

Why do police feel they can do whatever they want now days?

I threatened someone online can I go to jail?
Okay well I'm 13 and I threaten to beat someone up online because they cheated on my girl friend and I dont know him and he lives in another state but could I go to jail? I also said he should ...

How many Manchester policemen does it take to arrest a plastic Lara Croft?

Should the UK bring back hanging or do killers need more understanding ?
to all them that will say prison is to soft and hangings the only way, then why did shipmen and fred west die in such a nasty way rather than spend the rest of there lifes behind bars....

How to beat a speeding ticket?
Cop said i was going past the speed limit, I dont think so, cop did not mention nor show me a the radar reading. He was coming from opposite traffic, so how can he tell my speed. Meanning he was not ...

A judge dismised a charge of disorderly conduct. The arresting police officer has appealed his decision,?
The police officer is appealing nd issued another complaint and taking it back to court is this ok to do once the judge dismissed the ...

She is sixteen-years old and facing 10 years is that right?
For Trafficking Exctasy first offence..no prior record for drugs.

She should get a chacne to get well I would think not be convicted and sent to prison. Everybody desrerves a chance first ...

Why are the cops so grouchy? And why is it that I always get the worst one everytime I get in trouble?
Cops need to lighten up and relax!!!!
Additional Details
sweetheart2005, I don't give a sh!t if people think I'm a bad a$$ or not because nobody knows me on here. I'm not ...

Guy pulls a gun on me and doesn't get in trouble?
I got caught cutting across some guys backyard at 1 am last weekend. My friends and I were at a party and the cops came so we went out the back. So, I'm jump over this guys fence and he ...

Can I still become a police officer if I was raped as a teen?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links