Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Is it an offence to obstruct someone's drive?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it an offence to obstruct someone's drive?

A person keeps parking in the road exactly opposite my drive, this makes it extremely difficult to leave and enter my drive.

It is actually dangerous in that the attention that would normally be given to other traffic and pedestrians is distracted, when trying to avoid this persons car.

xsnudgex
Rating
Its not exactly an offence but they should not be doing it if its dangerous!

You have to get access to your driveway.

I would go over and explain to them and ask them to park further down a bit.

Val G
Rating
Afraid not, unless there are 'No Parking' lines or signs.

I have the same problem - in fact a couple of years ago, my son parked MY car there and I reversed (in my husbands car) straight into it totally buckling the back wheel arch of my car. My hubby's Volvo - built like a tank - wasn't even marked (thank goodness!)!

So all I can suggest is go and buy a good old tank like Volvo! Or better still, one of those 4X4 jobbies with the massive great tractor wheels. THEN if anyone parked there you can simply roll right over them!

Serafina Pekala
Rating
We had the exact same problem with a neighbour but we started to park one of our cars on our side of the road to stop anyone parking on the other side and therefore opposite our drive - also, if they continue to do it, why should you take care not to prang their vehicle...? it's their own fault - if you slowly, 'accidently' drive into their car it does no damage to your car! I'm not advising you to do this of course...i wouldn't dream of it!!!

allen555
The law says you are entitled to access to the highway. It does not say you are entitled access to your driveway. Therefore if someone parks in a dangerous position denying you access from the driveway to the road, they commit the offence of dangerous parking. You'll need to convince your local plod that there is an element of danger created by this person. Not easy to prove in my experience. Usually it is only after a collision has occurred that a person who parked the vehicle in a dangerous position was prosecuted and convicted.

AL G
Rating
My neighbour had the same problem. There isn't much that can be done as it isn't actually blocking your car in, it just means you have to manouvre more than you would have to if they weren't there. Have you actually explained the problem to the person who's car it is?

laughter_every_day
Parking regulations are local, not universal. I don't know of any city that prohibits parking "opposite" one's drive, forcing a sharp turn. There are many cities the prohibit blocking the drive, such that there is no room to get out, but none that prohibit parking across the street from a driveway.

Kevin L
There are generally two offences of obstruction, firstly Wilful obstruction and secondly an unnecessary obstruction, from what you describe i would say that neither offence is applicable, as there is no direct obstruction, your car can still leave and enter your drive.
Are there any parking restrictions on the road? such as double yellow lines? if there are no parking restrictions nothing is actually stopping the vehicle from parking there.
There is an offence of leaving a vehicle in a dangerous position, but again what sort of road is it? what is the speed limit? i presume that as it is opposite your house it is in a built up area, meaning that the road is a single carriageway, one lane in each direction with an enforceable 30 MPH limit. As such i doubt that the offence of Dangerous position applies. Have you tried approaching the owner? usually a first place to start. Or ask for your local beat Officer to attend and view the car, maybe the approach from an Officer to the car's owner would have beneficial results, though don't expect Police action to be taken, as i do not believe, from what you have said that much can be done.

joan k
Rating
I would have a word with your local Police as it could be classed as obstruction even though it's not directly across your drive.

Gavin R
No offence committed,however,are you reversing out of your drive onto a carriageway?That IS an offence and if you hit something it is your fault.

Sal*UK
Unless they are parking in front of a dropped curb, then no.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

On a police report, what does arr and vic stand for?
like the title says, what does arr and vic stand for in a police report?...

A commercial vehicle. I got a ticket. Traffic cop put down passenger vehicle as my plate type, can I fight it?

Help with pressing charges on someone......?
my ex-boyfriend pushed me down my stairs causing me to bruise my ankle bone and bruise my elbow bone also there was some scratches on my back, I went to the hospital and had the nurse call the cops, ...

What is a star number on a speeding ticket?
i just got my first speeding ticket and i was woundering what 'star #' means?...

I heard that if cops get into trouble it's because of a woman?
Your thoughts?...

Is Trespassing a misdemeanor or an infraction?
I was charged with "Trespassing property other than structure or conveyance" while hanging around on a field that we never knew was private. When I received my "Notice To Appear" ...

Caught shoplifting, but no police involved?
I was caught shoplifting at Sears, I am 17 from Oregon. It was my first offense, they had my mom come get me and sign 2 papers. They told me they weren't gonna call the cops and that I am banner ...

End of Probation in Michigan?
My Probation in Michigan is over, how does the end part work does the judge just send papers in the mail,or do I have to see him one more time? Any help would be really grateful. Im looking to be ...

I have a police record from 2 years ago?
It is for something pretty minor (i got aressted though) anyway they said it would be erased by the time I am 18 and now I am 18 and I am trying to be a working member of society can I trust the ...

Multiple Choice Question: The "Burden of Proof" in a trial refers to:?
(a) Which party has the responsibility of establishing the truth of their argument

(b) A person cannot be tried twice for the same crime if more evidence comes to light years later.
<...

Whats it really like in jail?
You read in the press that its a cakewalk.
Tell me what its really like, no nonsense.

I am not going to judge, just want to hear from someone who has experienced it themsleves who can ...

Should the police be called about this matter?
My daughter recently broke up with her boyfriend. Out of spite (?) he returned a T-shirt to her that she had given him. He had ripped the shirt, burned it in places, and wrote the following message ...

An appeal against a decision in a criminal case in the Magistrates Court will be heard by which court?
(a) The Districts Court (One Judge)

(b) The Supreme Court (One Justice)

(c) The Full Court of the Supreme Court (Three to Five Justices)

(d) The Court of Criminal A...

Are u scared of being killed?
Me, I am not scared when people threat me to kill me, they can get capital punishment....

Can anyone tell me if personal tasers are legal in Kansas?
I am interested in purchasing a taser, and I live in Johnson County Kansas. Are they legal? Where can I get one?...

Fire Fighters, Police Force and The Military!!? Please Anwser?
Now this is a complicated Question!
Ok when Im 18 years Old I plan On joining The United States Army, and after those 4 years go into college and get a degree in Criminal Justice, from the go in ...

Do you think an individual should be Mirandized at the point of arrest? Why or why not?

What's the best way to help youth who have committed crimes...?
What is the best way to help youth who have committed crimes to become law abiding citizens and promote victim restoration?...

Could i go to prison for dealing?
I got caught a second time selling drugs. The first time i got communtity service but i dont know what will happen this time. I am 15 can i go to prison?...

What are the requirements that someone must meet in order to join a SWAT team?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, April 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links