Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Is it illegal for the mailman to skip your house?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal for the mailman to skip your house?

I have a big, white van that is sometimes parked in front of my mailbox. When the car is there, my mailman does not put mail in my mailbox, and skips my house. He/She will go to every other house.

Is this illegal? I want my mail.

Erick
We're not suppose to deliver to blocked mailboxes. Due to safety reasons we can't exit our vehicles when we don't need to. Your van was parked in front of the box when it doesn't have to be.

stanleys_2001
Rating
No - actually it's illegal to park your car anywhere that the postal worker can't get to without backing up.

waynebudd
Rating
"illegal" is not a parameter in any case. A postman can refuse to enter a property with things such as icy walkway, untied dog etc. If the box is not obvious, move it to where it is! He/she is under no legal obligation to enter your property..

ornery and mean
Rating
If your mailbox is blocked by a vehicle, or snow, or anything ... the mailman can (and usually does) refuse to deliver to you.

You can call the post office to complain, but I'll bet your delivery person has a record of how often your mailbox is not accessible.

If you want your mail, keep your mailbox accessible by car!

Mister2-15-2
It isn't illegal. If they can't get to your mail box, you have wild turkeys or unleashed dog in yard they can skip your house.

a gem
Rating
call the post office and ask. maybe you don't have mail to be delivered.

Rayvin
Rating
No it is in his right not to delver mail if the mailbox is obstruted--snow, loose cement on sidewalk, dog and apparently large white vans

delacruzluis@rocketmail.com
MMh probably YOU GOT NO MAIL

CiCi
Rating
Try not to park your van in front of the mailbox if at all possible. My mailman has been known to skip my house if there's a car blocking his access to my mailbox. He also requested we cut some branches that block his approach.

camryangel33
you're not suppose to block mailboxes is why! its not illegal, its your fault. Plus if he has nothing for you and your flag isn't up with something to be picked up, he won't stop anyway.

Gretchen A
Rating
no. your mail man probably just hates you.
JUST LIKE ME!

marine5
Rating
As long as your Van or something else is blocking the
mail box he/she is not required to leave your mail...ever.

You really must learn to take
responsibility for your actions...
You caused the problem they didn't...
Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse...

k-li
Rating
i you park your car in front of the mailbox then they are supposed to skip your mailbox. so move your car.

Ziggy
Hi:

Call the post office and find out what is their policy on delivery mail.
Maybe its in their contract or something.
To be polite you can also ask them.....???

Becca D
Rating
Yes it is.
The mail man is supposed to
deliver your mail to your house.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is phil spector guilty, or what?

A cop pull me over on suspicion of drunk driving, I step out the car and he said for get it, can I report him?
I'm 6'5 and 368...

Street fight legality in UK?
I had an argument with a coworker,so we decided to settle it in a fight, 1 on 1. The bout would take place in a park or a garden. Is it acceptable by a British Law ? No moral advice needed, just ...

I think the Human Rights laws are damaging my Human Rights, can I challenge there existence?
Criminals getting compensation, kids running riot, I'm not safe on the street or in my house and I can not defend myself. The police have become next to useless because of it.
Additional D...

Speeding fine and penalty for doing 85mph on dual carriageway (70 limit) in UK?
If I were, hypothetically :-), to be caught t on camera (by a mobile camera unit sitting on a bridge over the dual carriageway) doing something between 80-90 mph (according to me satnav, not my ...

Killed a man in self-defense, but still feel bad about it.?
Back a week ago, I was burglarized in my home and shot the intruder with a shotgun after he started toward me. However, turning on the light, he wasn't much younger than me. Ended up later ...

Another ? mom moms boyfriend just got out on parole and he has like 3 class x felons can he be around my guns?
even if the guns are lockup and will they take my guns away from me if they found out that he is living here with guns locked ...

How do you feel about Capital punishment?

Does Kevlar really protect you from a bullet or does it just minimize impact?
A voice of authority please. Im looking for one that will just make painballs hurt less. I know the pain isnt that bad, but when they hit me in the chest it really hurts....

If the police have no duty to “protect” the public, shouldn’t the taxes we pay for their “services” ...?
...go to civil servants that actually provide services; like fire fighters, postal workers?

Why, exactly, do we (the taxpayers) pay them...other than because we're forced to?
A...

Help! Im scared... I think I have a stalker... RIGHT NOW!! someones outside my house i think?
For about the past 4 months ive been (on and off) hearing what sounds like someone walking in the woods behind my house. Its only about 20 foot-wide wooded area... right behind an car lot (well ...

Is fighting this speeding ticket even worth it?
Pulled over on a major highway for 71 in a 60. My FIRST speeding ticket ever, been driving 5 years. 21 year old male. My excuse: i merged on to the highway only to be behind a 18wheeler who was ...

Is there a real threat of terrorism or is it just another Labour spin?
How could they prevent any terrorist attack while there are hundred of thousands of unknown people inside the UK.?...

What is some good cop lingo to use when I tell 911 i have shot an intruder?
1) I have shot an intruder

2) I have dispatched an assailant

3) I have liquidated a scumbag

4) Punk was feelin lucky, but he wasn't

5) An attacker has ...

Can we now assume that the police force in this country are above the laws?
that they are employed to enforce. this is a follow on to the question about the cold blooded assassination of the brazilian citizen on the london tube! i would like to hear from serving officers of ...

Why dont the police listen?
my atv was stolen 5 weeks ago ,i told the police who stole it where they lived and all that good stuff ,then we seen the boy on it, it had diffrent plastic on it well we finally went ourselves and ...

Should prisoners be made to pay for there time in jail ???
This includes all the expenses it costs to keep these people.Staff wages, Bed and Board etc.

When they were released would this not give them a sense of responsibilty to what there actions ...

Today i was going to my house at lunch during school with my girlfriend and i got pulled over?
i turned right without stopping at the red light first.

im 17 provisional, and i have 4 more months until my provisional license is up (i live in california).

i got a clean ...

Does anyone disagree with JOE HORN from Pasadena, TX for the burglars that he killed?
I think he was rite. and theres people out there who are trying to make it into a race issue....

What is the fastest way to contact the police?
My wife will be coming home from work around 1am... I have to work graveyard so I will not be able to help if she gets rob. What is the best way for her to contact the police if she gets rob? Is it ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links