Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Is it illegal to curse at a police or be respectful to him?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal to curse at a police or be respectful to him?

Is it illegal to curse at tnem or may be just turn on high beam when he walks past me or act like he's smelly.

I'm not saying I'm going to do those things. I'm just curious.

joevette
Rating
It is not illegal but it is not very smart either. They came get you for resisting arrest, disorderly conduct or obstruction of justice and take you in for those. At a minimum you would get printed and probably get to sit in the clink for a short while. You may win in court but is it really worth it?

HeTrp
Well it is but its all up to police officer if hes like good man then he would ask for reason and smile. but if hes a s s then your in big trouble he will get you some how the others.

SeahawkFan37
Rating
Nope. It's covered under the First Amendment of the Constitution, Freedom of Speech.

Rooster/Blaster
Well, you see, all laws are subjective. It would not be a good idea to curse at a police officer- he or she could arrest you for any reason. That language may even be considered assault (verbal assault).

Most police I have met do NOT have a sense of humor- certainly not a self-deprecating sense of humor. I would not chance it. It is better to be respectful to the law.

On a bad note, the police are getting more militarized in the United States- they are often now carrying automatic weapons, in addition to automatic donut machines, automatic coffee beans, etc. Don't fudge, or you'll have to face a judge!!!!

PS- hey, did you ever notice how Police Chief Wiggum (on the Simpsons) looks...I mean, what he looks like? Ya know, his nose, face, etc. LOL!

Okay dude: On a serious note- I just asked my law professor this question, and he said that you could be fined if you profane a police officer, or if you disrespect an officer in uniform. You might even be arrested, or, if you live in a place like Dekalb County, GA, you might even be subject to a severe Rodney King-esque type of beating.

duc602
Rating
do not piss them off, it will cost you in the long run. just play their game and go on your way.

mxbrown
Rating
the cops will arrest you for BS things then make you look bad to a judge. you can try that freedom of speech thing but by then it's all up to the judge.

Kay_Zoo
Remember the old saying, "curiosity killed the cat." Don't do it...you could get in some really serious trouble. And, if you do decide to exercise your curiosity on this matter, we will read about it in "America's Dumbest Criminals."

meathead76
Hope you don't live in Orange County, FL. TASERTASERTASER!

sosickiam
Rating
use your common sense you were born with

tx_ndh
Years ago the courts ruled that a police officer could not be "offended". That ruling was overturned and now a police officer CAN be "offended". In Texas disorderly conduct has many variations. One of them is the use of foul or abuse language that can be offending to another person. So to answer your question. You can be arrested for cursing at a police officer. As for the second part of the question, if you high beam an officer it could be construde as an attempt to cause an accident or to misguide the officer and lead him/her to believe he/she is being "blinded" in order for someone within the vehicle to do harm to him/her. The officer is then justified to take the appropriate action to protect themselves from harm.

csucdartgirl
Rating
I don't think it's illegal unless you make a threat which would be assault. But if you annoy him with the high beams or something, as he walks by he'll bump your mirror. Then he will right you a ticket for a maladjusted mirror. They will do something to find a way to write you a ticket, some obscure law that no one ever gets a ticket for. So, treat people as you wanna be treated.

evancds
Rating
yes they can get you for disorderly conduct and a bunch of other crap, so wait till he leaves if you want to call him something

Kathy 1
In the United States you have the right to free speech, however if you threaten a police officer you will go to jail. Also depending on the officer, and what kind of day he is having you could be putting yourself in jeopardy. My advise, leave them alone.

northerndisclosures
Rating
No, it is NOT illegal to cuss at a police officer, because A)These are man-made "bad words", and therefore fall under the Freedom of Speech right. B)>> Is the use of the G and J words, The H*** words, the D*** words which are forbidden by the Bible, yet still legal as well. Most people think that man made cussing is worse than the Bible bad words which is not so. God only forbids His Words from misuse. Anywho, anyone that is stupid enuff to cuss out a cop, can certainly be maced for disorderly conduct, IF attached to drinking and driving, during some criminal act. Cussing in itself is not illegal. Tell them you have Tourette's.

kristal d
Is it illegal to curse at a police officer? It might be. Some may say that it is intimidation, threatening. Being respectful is not illegal, but should be practiced!
Why all the hate mongers with the law enforcement?

sharon p
Rating
yes because you can be charged for obstruction of justice if you are yelling and cursing at a officer. It could also be assault.

buggirl
Rating
In the State of Texas you can be charged with Disorderly Conduct by Language for cursing at a policeman. Also, you can be pulled over and cited for failing to dim your lights.

phillipgdmn
as long as you do it behind there back and they don't see i think you'll be fine. also just do it once or twice then a good policeman will ask you to calm down and only arrest you if you continue doing after that.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If I have a warrant for my rest, how many cops will come serve it to me? I'm 6'5 and 325lbs?
Will they mail it or try to call me?...

Did you deserve the last ticket you got?
Be honest now. We all complain when we get stopped, but thinking about it......did you honestly deserve the last citation you got?...

What's the stupidest question ever asked here?
I know it's hard, there are so many......

In the next ten years to you expect crime rate to go up?
Expect to go up.........................
Down
or do not know
Additional Details
This is getting so scarey - only a few minutes on and we all think UP - perhaps our MPs in UK ...

Why do people ignore the police warnings to not drive when it's been snowing?
Seriously, you are not indispensible - I'm sure the office will live without you for the day.
Additional Details
italienne: don't know where you live, but here we can't be ...

I was dragged by my hair and thrown out of an open house by a scum realtor. Can I sue the realty company?
I saw a sign that said " OPEN HOUSE DRINKS AND SNACKS "

So I got my husband Argus, Friend Donna Jeane, Shirley, Anna, Wilbur smith, Aggy and her 5 children, steve, Hank and his ...

Can stun gun knock people out?
Can Stun Gun knock people out?
If so, how much of votage do i need and how long would it take?
Thank ...

Are you satisfied or disappointed that Cho killed himself?
Some want answers, some justice, some revenge, some want to save money. What say you?...

SURVEY: If you're about to be put to death by lethal injection, what would your last meal be?

Why are people so concerned over the rights of criminals?
why are people so concerned over the rights of people that have murdered or raped, people are concerned about their humanity, when that person wasn't concerned regarding the rights of the victim....

How do i report a pot smoker?
this is important.
Additional Details
this woman snitched on me and got me kicked out of my house. so if you think im a snitch think of a 37 year old woman who got me a 15 year old girl ...

Our cities police cars are white. YOurs?

Who else thinks guns make the world a better place?

Corruption in America?
Is it true that there is not corruption in America? I mean, if I gave $1,000 USD to an officer if I was driving drunk, what would happen?

P.D. Or $2,000 USD, whatever....

What happens if a cop pulls you over and you forgot to bring your drivers license?

Additional Details
thanks for all the answers guys.hopefully i wont get pulled over on my way home....

Are the police as good as they were say 30 yrs ago.?

When is it possible to get away with murder?
i am aware it isnt, but when is ...

In what instance does a cop have the right to arrest someone without reading them thier miranda rights?
is that legal? i thought that no matter the situation they have to inform you of the rights that you ...

We have so much crime and yobs causing havoc on our streets because the police are useless?
We see the police allowing these yobs to carry on with yob behaviour on the street....

Should people in prison not be allowed go to a funeral?
I was in prison last year when my Dad died. I got taken out to see him a few days before he died with a guard but they wouldn't take the handcuffs off and give me some time alone and I got a bit ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, September 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links