Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Is it illegal to drive with your high beams on all the time?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal to drive with your high beams on all the time?

my brothe and i are in a heated discussion he the jail house lawyer say ohh you can get a ticket for driving with your high beams on when there is no need for them

captn_carrot
The Code of Massachusetts Regulations, Chapter 540, Section 22, "Failure to Dim," says you must flick off your high beams when you're within 500 feet of a car approaching in the opposite direction -- a considerable distance.

Yes it is because it is distracting and dangerous to other drivers.

Dan H
You are supposed to dim your high beams when you approach another car from the rear and when you and another car are coming toward each other. Each state mandates a distance. It's usually around 1000 feet for oncoming traffic and 500 feet when behind another vehicle.

thanson73
Your brother is right. The charge is called "Failure to dim lights"

Officer
YES! I pull people over for it all the time. It is also an indicator of impaired driving.

C22
Yes there is a statute that states that you have to dim them when following a vehicle less than 500 yards away , and when meeting oncoming traffic. Try it on a cop and I bet you will even get the statute # for it.

brat
its not fair on other drivers if you have your high beams on all the time so its polite to turn em down when other vehicles are around.

Shortstuff13
Rating
Yes, it is indeed illegal, as it can be blinding & cause an accident.

mickkooz
Rating
I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for failing to dim headlights to on coming traffic but I have a pet peeve for people having those so called sport lights in their newer vehicles located in the lower part of the bumpers. I have written police departments, traffic control officers, and in Canada the ministry of highways. The all responded to me in saying that it is illegal not to dim or turn these lights off to oncoming traffic. They went on to say also that they are not priority and that in most cases they do not bother to enforce these issues. I finally gave up trying. I guess someone must pay the ultimate price with their life and have it proven in court that this was the cause of someones demise because someone forgot or refused to dim their high beams and so called sports lights.

FJM
Rating
Yes, it blinds the person you are meeting.

curious115
Rating
yes, they blind other drivers

iltmaemc
Rating
My Volvo has its light on all the time.even during the day. it is safer and no law against it. except at night . be courteous to on coming traffic

Claire M
Rating
well at night you can cause someone temporary blindness if youre blasting your high beams in their eyes and they can crash...people that do that make me furious. no offense.

burning for you
Yeah actually the police can stop you for that and give you a warning. Plus it's not a good idea anyways, you obstruct people's views and that might make them crash into you.

Gwen
Rating
I don't know if it is illegal but I know it is very dangerous to other drivers. It could possible keep you from getting into any accident if you keep them off.

pixieotr
yes it is illeagle to drive with your hibeams on all the time. you need to be courtious and dim them for oncoming traffic and when you get within 500 ft of the car in front of you. you can seriously blind another driver and cause an accident or kill someone, also the ticket varies from state to state, but here in AZ they start at $150. for the first and go up each time you are cited.

I drive a semi all over the country and it is illeagle in all states.

Bill S
Hi...... The answer is yes. Invitation to a nice big fat ticket!!!!

Bill

onyx1
Rating
sorry, but the jail house lawyer is right, it is against the law, at least in my state, the high beams can blind the other driver and low beams are preferred.

Gone for good...
In the UK yes, it is. Same as driving rear fog lamps on unless conditions require this.

nyczxlilray
yes i think law enforcement discourages high beams when not necessary. I was crossing a bridge at 3am one morning and my high beams were on cuz it was raining so hard i could barely see. A police car was facing my direction sitting there and he high beamed me back. I assumed it was because my high beams were on and he wanted it off. because i was going the speed limit. I turned off my high beams and he stopped beaming me too

evander
why are north american drivers so clue less to driving habits of common sense if you used your high beams on all the time in Europe you go to jail your brother should get an IQ test

nick
Rating
yes

rhonu
Rating
Yes, it is illegal to drive with your lights on high beam. It is only legal if you are in an area that doesn't have any lighting on the roadway for a long stretch.

nubsnovets
Rating
Yes you can get a ticket, sorry. It is very dangerous to drive around like that. Not so much for you but for other drivers. Some people, especially older, have a hard time adjusting their eyes from that bright light to complete darkness. It could cause another driver to crash.

Valley R
Yes, you will be ticketed.

lachulablanca
Yes you can get a ticket because it distracts other drivers and can cause an accident.

Anthony
Rating
In most states yes and it's very inconsiderate, not to mention dangerous for other drivers on the road. Just use your high beams when your on a very dark road with no other traffic.

Copgirl
Rating
Duh, of course. I have given tickets for it before- Failure to dim lights.

mrybry
yes, esp in a city.

marty
It's illegal and very dangerous to other drivers. It's basically a moving violation but if you get the cop sore at you, he might cite you for "careless driving" which is a high points offense.

Good luck

"THE DEVIL"
Yes

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

The most frightening serial killers?
Can you guys name the most famous or frightening serial
killers that you guys know of???...

Who owns this computer?
About 6yrs ago my ex's dad gave us his computer (he also gave one to my ex's sis). A year and a half ago we split up and I moved out. The ex said i could have it as he had no use for it. N...

Will I go to jail?????
I got a ticket for no insurance and then didn't show up for my court date. I had my lisence suspended and i just set up a new court date. When I go to court are they going to put me in jail?...

Can the police identify you using your bank account number and sort code?

Is it ok for the front passenger of a vehicle to drink alcohol in the car?
i live in texas but dont know much about the texas laws. just wanted to know if i was the front passenger in a car in motion, can i drink alcohol? i am 21. and the container is ...

How come animals never get charged for murder, is that fair!?

What do you call the police where you live?

What can I do to help my daughter?
My daughter is going through a dangerous divorce and I don't know how to help her. Her husband is stalking her, beating on her, and threatening to take their 2 small children and leave with them....

Will i be over the limit?
ive had 2 shots of bailys irish cream tonight and what i want to know is will i be ok to drive in the morning without being near or over the DD limit might sound a silly question but i dont usually ...

Give a SINGLE WORD answer to, what do you think of the british police?
Remeber, just one ...

Is it pointless to file a police report over a stolen bike?
since the chances of getting it back are so small?...

Can a Police Officer make me pull up my windows?
I have my front windows tinted at 20% which is pretty dark but in the day time you can see through it. My question is if my windows are always down and when a cop stops me can he make me pull my ...

Can my boyfriend plead not guilty for DUI?
My boyfriend got a DUI last Saturday night and he's also being charged with underage drinking and having an open container but it wasn't his bottle it was his friend's who was sitting ...

If you egg someones house, can you be arrested?

How much time would a 15 yr old female get in jail for comiting murder??

Do you like cops?
The people, NOT the tv ...

What will be my punishment for doing 110 mph on an A road!?
was the middle of the day, open road, unmarked car got me? gotta go court, now what!! first offence?? what will i recieve!!
Additional Details
A road is a duel carrageway!...

Do you feel more, less, or relatively unchanged regarding your safety since 911?
Please explain your answer....

Owner of dog that killed the little girl?
Should the owner of the dog that killed that little girl be tried for manslaughter because he had already had warnings about the ...

If you are stopped by the Police in your car for any reason, and they ask you to get out of it are you legally
entitled to refuse?
Additional Details
Thank you for your answers, I notice some are from our American friends, I have seen some of their police heavy handedness on TV which is fast ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, July 28, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links