Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Is it illegal to flip off a cop?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal to flip off a cop?

Xavasia
Rating
While I don't believe that it is illegal, I am almost positive you will not like the consequences.

Keith
Rating
No but I'm sure he'll find something else you did that was illegal after you do it.

Thor's screwdriver
As a police officer I can tell you that it is not illegal in my state. I encourage anyone so inclined to do it often. Show off your contempt for authority as well as your huge balls by flipping off the police. That'll show'em good. Like any police officer worth his salt gives two sh*ts about somebody's finger.

Alison
Rating
Just extremely stupid. Do you want a cop pissed at you? They will give you their 100% attention then, and be looking hard to find something to arrest you on. Do not disrespect or you will be disrespected.

giggleboxx_d
Rating
No, but it's very disrespectful. Not all cops are out of get people despite what some people say. They're are typically doing their job.

Theresa H
I don't know if it is illegal or not but my Aunt use to beep, wave and flip off this one cop who sat in the same spot everyday! Of course, he already had given her 3 tickets for speeding but she was never ticketed for that behavior.

kapute2
Rating
no, but it's rather stupid. you could get a nightstick upside the head. is it worth that?

grldragon101
Rating
Depends on the officer.

But really it's just an immature thing to do. If they gave no reason, why even get something started? Just because they're doing their job? or because they're in uniform, upholding the law? Better yet, why would anyone want to start drama like that? Sometimes there are grumpy ones, sure, but does that help the situation, or make it worse?

That's what I though....

ashleyd
Rating
It's disorderly conduct.

vincent g
If not, you should be turned over an adults kn ee and spanked. You deserve more for being stupid if this is what you did.

steddy voter
Rating
Lol, I really wouldn't recommend it. They'll find something to get you on - public lewdness, disturbing the peace, etc.

lovemytc
Rating
When done to a peace officer, it is disorderly conduct. On YouTube, this idiot thinks it will be funny to run up to a cop and flip him off. His buddy is filming in a car. The guy jumps out, runs up to the officer, flips him off with both fingers right in the officer's face. The officer got startled and thought the guy was going to attack him so the officer whips out his expandable baton and starts beating him, LOL. Spitting on a cop is a battery, I wouldn't recommend doing either.

zebj25
Rating
It would be disorderly conduct and or harassment. And depending on where, why, why, and other considerations, it could be other things as well.

rhymingron
Rating
It depends on what you mean by flip off.

dchead22
Rating
No, because it's freedom of speech. Everyone who said it's stupid is correct though, especially if you're driving- they can always find something to charge with on the road, whether you were driving badly or not. If you're just standing there and see some cops and flip 'em off that depends too- if you're a homie with a long rap sheet, they might smack you around- your word against a cop's. But if you're a suburban teenage girl who decides to 'rebel against the man' they'll probably just scold you and send you on your way.

Alina >_<
doubt it. (what do you want em to say? ''oh sure give him the finger whenever you want'' ) that probably wouldn't roll well.

Dani
not illegal but probably not the best of ideas either. unless of course you have good reason :P

shalwechat2000
Rating
Well depends on the state you are in. Here is is not an offense to flip any one off. The courts in my state of the USA has also ruled that one are allowed the use offense gestures and language because that's covered by the bill of rights as long as there is no cause or suspicion of violence to that person who its directed to. If there is a reason or suspicion of violence it can be considered disorderly conduct. Hate crime laws are also worded in a similar manner here. It can be argued thet a simple "flippn the bird" has no violent intentions to the cop but only a expression of that person dislikeing cops.

withluv7
No, go ahead, have fun!

nicole g
Rating
a good way to start a big problem for you

mr_white_the_secure_american
Rating
Not illegal, just stupid.

tocarra m
Rating
No it is not illegal...just stupid. The people here that are claiming that it is a crime to do so are all wrong. In fact, you would get in more trouble for doing so to a private person than a cop. Law enforcement officers are held to a different standard and are expected to take more crap than the average person.

george e
i don't know i never don it why did you get in some s,hit over it

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How long does a police criminal record last i was convicted for theft when i was 17, 26 years ago?

Is this police brutality?
My 50 year old husband was tazed yesterday. He came upon my daughter's car which he believed had broken down. He approached the police officer who was with the vehicle. They got into a ...

Can police do this?
my friend was driving and was pulled over by a bunch of narc officers. they were expecting the car to be driven by someone else. they were not pleased with their mistake (not getting the guy they ...

Is It Legal To Use My Web-Cam?
Is It Leagal To Use My Web-Cam As I Home Sercity Camera I Put It In The Window Behind The Net Curtain In This Room Where My Computer Its Upstaires, As I Want To See What Is Going On In My Front G...

Hypothetical bank robbery question.?
If an armed man goes into a bank and robs all the customers without robbing the bank itself, and is arrested when the police arrive.
Is he charged with bank-robbery, as the offence took place ...

My Dad plead guilty to Assault with Domestic Violence. Is he forever going to be known as an abuser?
He and my sister argued and ended up shoving each other. My Dad is the one that walked away and went outside to get away from each other and calm down. He was outside working in the garden for 10 ...

Cop pulled me over. No ticket, took license?
Okay a cop pulled me over tonight and asked to see my license and insurance and stuff so I showed him it. He gave me back my registration and insurance and took my license. I was really nervous so I ...

Are most cops corrupt, psychotic, and wife beaters?

If you live in a house with marijuana but are not using, will you still be arrested?
To settle a dispute that came up in class today....

Can someone send me a link to a story where a person died from a taser?
I see the message boards are lighting up over the pregnant woman tased in Ohio, and several responses mention how deadly the taser is, so I thought I'd post some facts.

Voltage does ...

Why are sawed off shotguns illegal?

This question might offend some people?
Ok, so here's the situation. I presently have a court case pending. The charge is theft over $500 and theft scheme over $500. I had a previous charge in 2004 for the same charges but, they ...

Why are we been punished fro smacking my son?
my 10 year old son called my husband a f@"king gimp on sunday and my husband smacked his bottom twice leaving no mark. on tuesday my son who has autism told his one to one and they reported him ...

Can you???
can you pay off a credit card in cash by mail?...

How can i get out of a speeding fine that was picked up with a hand held device?
i got caught speeding and wondered if i could get out of it because it was a hand held device not on a tri pod the police woman was pointing it out her car window
Additional Details

Can the police do this?
I was stopped today by two cops for no reason and they started searching me. I was wondering if this is allowed?...

Is my mom going to jail?
my step dad claims my mom threw boiling water on him and he has the wounds on camera. she is charged with assualt in the 3rd degree. do you think she is going to prison.. i looked it up and it is a ...

Which Do You Think Is Worse?
Which Way Is The Worst Way To Die Out Of These?
Being Beheaded, Getting The Electric Chair, Or Being Gased With Poison Gas?...

Since when did it become so popular to hate your local Police Official?
I'm feeling pretty mean today, especially after reading all the hate and anger directed against those who have taken an oath to serve and protect you. I know it comes with the territory of the ...

What if I commit crime before I go on vacation?
I mean supossedly hypothetically I comited a crime and then I left for vacation to like for say Asia, who is gonna get me?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links