Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Is it true that cops cant search your glove compartment if it is locked when searching your car?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it true that cops cant search your glove compartment if it is locked when searching your car?

trooper3316
If they have reason to search the car, they have reason to search the glove box, even if it is locked. This does not vary by state, it is a Fourth Amendment issue.

Searching vehicles was decided by the US Supreme Court in Carroll v. United States. They ruled you have a lesser expectation of privacy in a vehicle, and also ruled you do not normally need a warrant to search a vehicle. If you have enough evidence to get a warrant, you have enough to search without one.

ps
Rating
THEY CAN SEARCH ANYWHRE

Daniel
NO!! Police Officers with probable cause can search your glove box. They will find a way to unlock it even if you have "ever-so-smartly" locked it. They WILL unlock it, or get the key from you to unlock it.

dickn2000a
Rating
No! If they have probable cause they can tear your car apart.

Citicop
Rating
No. I can search the entire passenger compartment of a vehicle, including any containers inside, during a search incident to arrest.

STEVEN F
It MAY vary based on WHY they are searching, but I am willing to bet that any situation that justifies searching ANY part of the vehicle also justifies searching the glove compartment.

Craig
Rating
how does one lock it?

de
no they have the right to search anything they need to.
plus they would find it strang that its locked.
ddd

Steven C
Rating
I would ask for the key and if you don't give it to me then you will need a new lock for the glove box.

‚ô•‚ô•The Queen Has Spoken‚ô•‚ô•
Rating
If they have cause to search your car they can open the glove compartment even if it is locked. The keys would be at their disposal. They can also search your trunk.... even though it too is locked... Again.... Keys!

Grandma of 2
If a policeman has reason to believe it contains anything illegal they can search a locked glove compartment, the same as a locked trunk.

Lane P
Rating
false. they can do a complete cavity search on your car if they have what is called "reasonable suspicion"

Green
Lol, they do not need a warrant for a vehicle. There is a mobile conveyence doctrine that allows for a warrantless search on vehicle due to the fact that the owner can drive off and escape or discard any evidence while the warrant is being produced. It is black and white on vehicle searches, dont be fooled by your "know it all" friends!

AnswerManDan
Depending on state it changes. But for the majority of states, If you don't consent for them to search, That is tell them they can, the cop can only search when he has probable cause. Usually being a cop dog that signals contraband is in something. If they have a warant they can also search but that is very uncommon on traffic stops. The trunk is part of this the cop cannot open anything or enter anything without permission from you or a positive scent of contraband.

LT
I'm not real sure about the laws in all states... but you do not even have to let the cops search your car. But if you have nothing to hide, the this would not be in your best interest. They can hold you, or your car.. get a search warrant and then search it. While this is being processed.. well where do you think you are going to be. The same would/could apply to the glove compartment. Now if an arrest happens, the all of this is changed.

babybear
why dont you just ask them if they want to have some of your stash when they bust you? haha

jezzabell
yes, if they have reasonable cause to search, or you give them permission, they will go anywhere in your car, they can cut into your seats if they want to, if they ask to search, say no, unless they can provide reasonable cause, however, I have told them that, so they brought out drug dogs, who sensed something, so they searched anyway, but it has stopped them from searching before.
If they search your car and find a locked compartment, they will DEFINITELY search it.

????????
No. BUT REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!.........THEY HAVE TO ASK FOR YOUR PERMISSION TO SEARCH YOUR VEHICLE UNLESS THEY HAVE REASONABLE DOUBT....WHICH GET'S ABUSED....OTHERWISE TELL THEM THEY NEED A WARRANT IF THEY WANT TO SEARCH YOUR CAR.THEY MIGHT MAKE YOU WAIT TOO BUT YOU MIGHT HAVE A CHANCE IN THE MEAN TIME TO DUMP YOUR POT.

Chrys
no...they can search ANYWHERE on your car or person.

Ozzfest 2007 ROCK3D
Rating
Nope they make you unlock it. If you dont have the key they always write that you had a locked glove compartment and that makes you suspicous.

Kaity
One of the Admendments in the Constitution state that you must have a trained search warent when searching other people's belonging's.

DANBOSPD
yes they can if there is a dept policy on inventory or they have PC. This also applies to trunks - to see how much junk you got inside your trunk!

Fernella13
No, with probable cause, they can search

Affan S
Rating
i think no

Quincy D
Rating
no

Joshua B
No false. Probable cause allows them to do so.

Chriztina
No, they will find a way to open it.

QWERTY
No.

My Tractor Is Green
No, it's not true. It depends. The law isn't black and white on any issue.

hekt0re
Legally cops aren't allowed to search your vehicle without a warrant. But if you give them permission to, then yes they can. So if a cop pulls you over and ask to search your car say no.

(DISCLAIMER IF YOU ARE PULLED OVER BY A COP I WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANYTHING THAT GOES ON. USE MY ADVICE AT YOUR OWN RISK)

dguth44
an officer cannot 'search' anything that is not in public view, as in if he/she need to move anything to get to it, it is an ILLEGAL search and therefore inadmissible in a court.

however if you get intimidated by them and give them permission to take away your fourth amendment rights to 'be secure in your belongings, and against unreasonable searches and seizures.' then they can tear your car apart if they want to. this is all dependent on if you havent given them 'probable cause' to search your property because there is a reasonable assumption that you have broken the law. (i.e.- your car is full of smoke from pot when they pull you over, or you have an open container.)

read the constitution and bill of rights. cops are trained to get you to give up your rights willingly, which is why the supreme court mandated they 'read you your rights' when you are arrested. this is why they will ask 'why did you not pull over back there' instead of getting you to admit directly that you ran from the police. like 'when was the last time you hit your wife?' it is an answer that if you respond to you automatically admit fault to something else.

see the first, fourth, and fifth amendments in particular.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can I legally remove my personal possesions from someones elses property?
So called friends have some possesions of mine in thier house. Now we are not speaking and they wont let me have them back! Nice I know!!! If I can get into their house (without breaking in!), am I...

Do the police really care if I do 90 on the motorway?
70=boring 90=fun
Additional Details
Okay, its a dry day the motorway is clear and I'm doing 90. Of course i'm in the right hand lane yet I have to move to the middle lane to ...

I need to call the police now, please help me..........................
what's the number? I'm in Los A...

Say the police pull you over.....?
lets say my friend was driving my car, who isnt insured for it..the police pull him over for a minor traffic offence, they ask to see driving licence and insurance etc... could he say he doesnt have ...

What song makes you cry?
Which songs do you know of that make you cry when you hear them?...

I was in an auto accident yesterday and the lady that hit me left the scene. All I have is her license plate?
She left the scene and the police never came. I have her license plate number. This is in Texas. What do I ...

Can a police officer arrest you without a hat/helmet?
My brother said a police officer can't arrest someone if they aren't wearing a hat/helmet, because they aren't in full uniform.
Is this true or a myth?...

Why is terroist activity mainly in the Northeastern part of the US?
Reports indicate that terroist activity is mostly concentrated in the Northeastern part of the US. Why would this be?...

Are the police allowed to break the law?
I live on a one-way street; I've just seen a police car driving the wrong way up it. It had its lights & sirens on, & stopped a couple couple of doors up from my house; for all I know ...

What form of punishment do you think would deter killer-thugs?
If for instance the two thugs who murdered the London lawyer were subjected to public slow-hanging and disembowelled, in say, trafalgar square, or were blinded and crippled and then set free, would ...

Can I file charges against my own child?
My 14yr. old stole two guns from homes he broke into. He brought them into our home--loaded and kept them in his dresser til we found them. Can we press any charges for him bringing the guns into our ...

If a cop tells you to "put the camera down" do I have to?
lets say he aproaches me and i film him in a public place
Additional Details
To the person who gave tumbs down to those who answered yes - thank ...

Would you tell the police if you knew a kid was growing weed?
I know a 16 year old kid in my neighborhood that is growing and selling weed. I cant decide if I should call the cops or not. I only want what is best for the kid, and I dont want him to mess up ...

What would he be charged with if...?
a friend bought 20 boxes of tiles for a bathroom from b&q.he used more or less all of them.he went back with his reciept,loaded 10 of the same tile boxes on a trolley,went to the till and said he ...

Can you get arrested if your 17 for breaking and entering and stealing?
or will you just get fined if you have a good record (like me i have great grades) and btw i'm not planning on breaking in somewhere and stealing anything i just wondering because my cousin did ...

Do i need a gun for home protection?
i live in oakland, not a very safe place, my cars have had their tires, deck, battery jacked in differnt times, my house has been robbed once, and once was an attempt, my neighboor's house got ...

Do policemen get a bonus for the amount of arrests they get?
they must have some incentive apart from promotion......

Has the world gone mad!!?
prisoners getting an out of court settlement by the home office because thier incarceration in our prison system made them go cold turkey? boo bloody hoo do you agree with me and they should have ...

If murder were leagal, would you kill someone?

RE: The smoking ban?
I'm a smoker but don't own a car, does that mean people should have to switch off their engines as I walk through the street?
Additional Details
Ha, what a bunch of self ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links