Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Is running from the cops for no reason a felony what is the crime called?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is running from the cops for no reason a felony what is the crime called?

like seeing a car and for no reason start running

CGIV76
Rating
No felony, just stupidity.

James
The original running isn't a crime, just a reason for suspicion. If, after the cop gives chase and orders you to stop, you keep running, you would be guilty of resisting arrest.

Pablo Rueben
Merely running from a police officer is not a crime. However, running from a police officer that told you to "Stop!" is a misdemeanor crime of resisting/delaying a peace officer. It becomes a felony if someone, other than you, gets hurts during the process of you resisting/delaying a peace officer.

Brett E
Rating
stupidity

jules vane
Rating
Evading arrest- Resisting arrest- not a felony

justmyopinion
Running is always going to get their attention.... this gives them suspicion enough to stop and talk to you.

Generally people do not run from the police for no reason.

Chuck-the-Duck
Rating
While it is not wise to run from a Police Officer at any time, to do so, unless you are fleeing from the commission of a felonious act, would only constitute a "Misdemeanor" charge being brought against the person that ran. This is commonly called : "Evading Detention" because as soon as the Officer sees you run at the sight of Him, it constitutes probable cause for an "Investigatory Stop". In some cases I've heard of Police Officers chasing down a kid and when He found out the kid ran for the heck of it (for fun), the Officer actually planted a baggy of Marijuana on the kid and arrested the kid for possession, and asked the kid How do you like my game? So, It's not wise to play with the cops. Not to mention the kid in Texas who ran from the Police, and when the kids cellphone rang the kid reached in His jacket to answer the cellphone and the Cop drew His weapon and fired "Killing" the Kid. That's when they found out "IT WAS ONLY A CELLPHONE!!
GOD BLESS/GOOD LUCK!!

fugazi
Rating
It can be called Fleeing and Eluding, Hindering and Opposing a Police Investigation, or Obstruction of Justice. All 3 are felonies.

Don't run from the police.

Mike M
Evasion of an officer of the law is a felony in some states. If you have nothing to hide, you will probably be let off after some roughing up. Why would someone run from a cop if they have nothing to hide though? If you get caught with something or caught for something, that will consist of the offense.

dlm1ok
It depends on where you live. Pennsylvania is in the process of making it a felony.

bbasingal
Rating
In Illinois, the answer is - that is not a crime.

But what usually happens after that, is the officer tells the runner to stop, if he/she does; no problem. If he/she doesn't stop it's called Obstructing a Peace Officer (a misdemeanor).

(720 ILCS 5/31‑1) (from Ch. 38, par. 31‑1)
Sec. 31‑1. Resisting or obstructing a peace officer or correctional institution employee.

Link below....

Hope this helps.

jay L
Rating
Sure it's illegal, it's called *** Hole in the day / night time, usually a misdemeanor

Combatcop
In WA there are two different laws. Failure to yield (misdemeanor) and Eluding (felony). It does not matter why you are not stopping. If you do not immediately pull to the right and stop, you are guilty of failure to yield. If you continue driving and are actively trying to elude the officer (running stop sign, red lights, turning off headlights etc) it is a felony.

iluvmydingdongdoggie
Rating
resisting arrest.
depends on location.

SGT. D
Attempting to elude a Police Officer. It's a misdemeanor, not a felony.

Jake
Rating
If the officer Persues you and you run.

Obstruction of Justice.

Placido
Rating
2 pt: Its a small crime, like getting slapped on the hand.

However, considering that officers are abusing their taser powers, I would think twice about running and getting shocked. LOL

donricko
look dude not all feloned is stupid or bad like 4 me im a feloned im on house arrest right now and i dont think people r bad they just off a little and people who conmitted crimes r human 2 im not saying they should not be punish but they still are people

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Does anyone care if inmate's hang themselves?
I'm just asking....

Should police officers get better pay?

Can police break into a convicted felon's house without a search warrant.?
Takes place in Las Vegas, Nevada. The felon was charged for speeding and drug possession....

What is your duty to your Country ?

I need help please?????
My now ex bf claimed he filed a harassment report on me. The story in a nutshell..when i was w/ him, he mentally abused me, he made constant threats of suicide, only wanted my help, whenever I told ...

Are police trained to shoot to kill?
meaning like the sean bell case, once they open fire they shoot the target until it stops?...

SERIAL KILLER?? how would u people react if there was a serial killer for serial killers???
how would u judge him......

What's the best way to remove bloodstains from the trunk of my car???

If i have a warrant out for my arrest,will it expire on its own or do i have to hand myself in?

Help! My roommate stole my identity! What can I do?
My roommate is an identity theif. She stole my information and my friend's card number. I know this for sure because of the information and evidence T-Mobile, Peapod.com, and Musicnotes.com (The ...

If illegals work tax free, why am I forced to pay extortion in the form of taxes?

Does a probation officer have the right to talk about my relationship with my boyfriend?
Everytime I go to my meeting he tells me how stupid I am for living with my boyfriend of 5 years. How Im going no place in like with him...how he is never going to want to marry a criminal like me! H...

I have been sentenced?
I was arrested 3 weeks ago for smoking crack in an abandoned building with some homeless guys. Today they sentenced me to 60 days in jail, one year of probation after I'm released. Does anyone ...

Could I get charged if I went around robbing drug dealers?
For their money and drugs? What happens if I take the drugs and get rid of them but keep the cash?
Would the judge be harsh on me, I mean I don't want drugs in my community....

Which of the following would result in a civil case in court?
a using a mobile phone whilst driving
b dumping of rubbish in a councill pay and display carpark
c removing a whellclamp from your car
d being drunk and disorderly at a taxi ...

Fight a D.W.I.?
Is it even worth the time to fight it or will it just make things difficult and do nothing???...

What is aggravated vehicular assault?

Gun laws in america?
should gun laws be tightened after the horifying masacre of over 30 people in virginia,
Additional Details
well for starters it would make it illeagel to carry them if ya caught with one ...

Can a cop put me in hand cuffs or in the back of his car if i am only 14?
i know he cant pat me down or anything till my parents get around but could he cuff me or put me in the back of his car b4 they get there?

thanks.
Additional Details
back the ...

Is there an age bracket?
When becoming a police officer is there a certain age after where you are to old to join the force?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links