Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Police did not take witness names after assault!?
Find answers to your legal question.

Police did not take witness names after assault!?

I was working the door in my own pub recently & was assaulted by 3 men & their partners, They dragged me off the stair & punched and kicked me on the ground, They also deliberately tried to & succeeded to pull most of my long hair out of the back of my head!! the police who attended the crime only took witness statements from myself & 2 of my SIA trained staff. i asked them to go and take names of other witnesses who were watching the incident & they didnt, As a result i have been told that there is not enough evidence to charge them, so where do i stand??

LONDONER ©
Make a complaint, I don't blame you for feeling gutted

Ellie
Was there any CCTV? I'm sure that the police could look at that, even without the witnesses. Even if there isn't they should talk to other witnesses, because these people might go out and attack somebody else.

LISA H
Rating
contact the inspector of the officers who are dealing with this, and complain. Raise these points with him and tell him you are not satisfied. He must look into the matter.
I know what you mean though, my daughter was assaulted (she was 15), her witness was her friend who was in foster care and the police would not take a statement from her as they said anyone in care is an unreliable witness.
There are a lot of police officers who unfortunatley, don't deserve to wear their badge. If you still get no-where contact their complaints comission.

joan k
Complain to the Independent Police Complaints Commission, it will go to your local Police Force, but they don't like to going to the IPCC as they oversee the complaint. This is lazy and incompetent, I would be furious.

Thia
Rating
Go to the police complaints department. It may be better coming from a solicitor. This is lazy and incomptetent.

elyslund
You stand at the door of a Barrister's office and raise bloody Haell!!!! Take it to court!!!

st.abbs
Rating
The same thing happened to me with an armed robbery, the police wouldn't take statements from 4 witnesses.
You can always write a letter of complaint but nothing will be done, try writing to the Professional Standards Department.

Papa-Yogi
Rating
Contact-a-Lawyer-and-a-Private
Investigator.
The-Lawyer-may-have-one-that
does-work-for-him.
Make-sure-the-Lawyer-supports
this-action.

Ian UK
First off, do you know for sure that they didn't speak to the other witnesses? They may have done this without your knowledge.

If they didn't then they really should to get the full picture.

Bear in mind however that the decision to not proceed further would have been made by or with guidance from the CPS.

It is the CPS that you would need to speak to if you're not happy with the decision.

mjs
Rating
sadly you dont really have a case. if the inspector of the station doesnt want to push it-it doesnt even get as far as cps.its unfair-but the way it is

Tinker
Rating
Go to the Police complaints authority, if you have the names and or numbers of those who attended this will help you substantiate your complaint...Failing that make some time and go to the Citizens Advice Centre nearest to you and see what they have to offer in the way of constructive advice..
Being a doorman can be difficult enough without this nonsense.....

scrapnscream
You need to visit a doctor and have your injuries documented. Also, have photos taken of your injuries.

The police have not done their job. These people should be charged with Assault, Affray and Violent Disorder as there were more than five of them acting together.

If I were in your shoes as a licensee I would do the following to protect my business.

1. Get a solicitor to write to the Chief Superintendent informing him that you are not happy with the way the matter has been dealt with.

2. Get a solicitor to write to the licensing officer explaining the incident and send him a copy of the letter sent to the Chief Superintendent.

3. A solicitor should write to the police requesting the names and addresses of the people who assaulted you for the purpose of taking out a private prosecution against them.

If your customers made a complaint to the police saying you and your staff assaulted them, what do you think the police would have done?

You can be sure they would have arrested you on the spot so why should it be different when you are the victim. Being assaulted while running a pub should not be treated as an occupational hazard by the police.

From my experience the police will presume that you won't make too much of a fuss because you will be afraid of them objecting to your licence in the future. They can make up many allegations against your pub so it's important to record every time the police visit you and why.

You need to make it absolutely clear in writing that this incident was not your fault and your staff acted professionally.

Taking out a private prosecution against these people can sometimes force the CPS to take over the case for you.

It's not up to the police to weigh up the evidence or decide who should be charged. Thats a job for the CPS who make all decisions on who should be prosecuted. So, if the CPS has not reviewed this case how can the police say there is not enough evidence to charge? Thats not their job.

Your solicitor should enquire when this case was sent to the CPS and get the name of the person dealing so he can contact them direct. He may discover that the police never sent the case to the CPS in the first place, which would give grounds for an action against the police via Judicial Review.

If the police did not follow the correct procedure Judicial Review could get a court order against the police ordering them to follow the correct procedures including informing the CPS. They would in effect have to start from the beginning again.

MJS see this :

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-rights/chapters/how-to-get-redress/civil-actions-and-judicial-review/judicial-review.shtml

Heaven J
Rating
You have no other recourse than a civil suit.

imp
A) They Did Not Take Names Because Of "Legal Reasons", And That "They Never Could Be Bovered To Find Out The Names" Or Simply It Was Saftey Towards THe Witnesses!

B) You Stand On Planet Earth!

I.M.P

Angua
Rating
Have you sort professional help?...a local solicitor possibly personal injuries claims should be able to help you.

it is possible to make a civil claim but his can be costly. the trouble with witnesses is that they can be unreliable and many cases fail in court because of this. the polic e did the right thing by taking statements from your SIA's as they are seen to be reliable but drunken night clubbers are not.

lumpy
at the door to the pub

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I am going to court for a speeding offence. The NIP was over 4 weeks old when I received it. Win or lose?
The law states that a speeding fine has to be issued within 2 weeks of being caught. I recieved mine after 4 weeks therefore it should be invalid. I refused to pay and opted to go before the ...

What are would happen if someone stabbed me in the back of the head?
3 or 4 times...
Additional Details
i feel fine though

it is bleeding profusely?@$^%!...

Are police tasers more deadly than police guns?
I would like to know what people think about tasers being used instead of guns. Any studies to back up your answer would be great!!!...

If you killed someone who killed your cousin?
would you go to jail? or what will happen cause im about to do it
Additional Details
and also they didnt find him ...

My fiance is a police officer, what can I do for his birthday?
My fiance and I have been together for almost 4 years now. He recently graduated the police academy in July and is working as a cop for 2 different areas.. Any ideas what might be a good present for ...

Why do so many cops smell like pig sweat?
Haven't they ever heard of showers?...

My friend got cuaght stealing does anyone know what her punishment might be?
she was 17 when she got caught but now she's 18 and the court date is tomorrow and she doesnt know if they will punish her as an 18 year old or 17 or what might happen to her does anyone have an ...

Chris Langham - The Judge should not have been so judgemental?
The judge said that Chris Langham "will be shunned by many in public".
I think he has gone too far there - it is one thing for him to pass sentance, but to make those comments is using ...

How can a pellet gun kill someone?
There was a news story that said a home owner shot a man who was stealing his Mary Jane; he shot the guy with a pellet gun and the man died. How is this possible?...

If you are having a party at your house can cops enter without a warrent?
They shouldn't be able to right? If its a private party on your property!
Additional Details
Wow Jenny June, you really aren't a nice person are you? I am sorry I made a typo ...

Do you think this country is too soft on crime? Are prisons too much like camps and should the death penalty?
...be restored?....I think that prisons are too much of an easy option-pool tables,colour TVs,gyms,available tobacco and drugs,nice meals..no wonder offenders re-offend they don't mind going ...

HELP ive had a letter from stanford & green bailiffs,?
ive made a arrangment with the boss called mr stanford to pay them £20.00 every month. i pay this through recorded delivery but they said they didnt recieve the giro, i phoned royal mail up and they ...

Police records on some thing that happen over 25 years ago is it still on files?

Ways That The Police Measure Speed?!?
Does anyone know ways that the police forces can measure speed? My dad is a policeman, and he's told me most in this country, but its sooooo not enough.

Please help me?!...

If someone tries to black mail someone its illegal right? Meaning criminal court and jail time for blackmailer
Now if this is also used as proof in a civil case it would make the blackmailer less credible???? curious its a long complicated story but thats the basic info I ...

Is my police officer id considered a government id i am a county sheriff?

Additional Details
i am traveling by boat to bimini and lost my passport. For enrty it states i can use my birth certificate and a government id. But that drivers license and votes reg. ...

Is it really illegal to drive below the speed limit?
Or is that just a myth? After all, isn't it better to drive too slow rather than too fast?...

Neighbour problems...?
I have a neighbour who was in trouble with the Police for "flashing" some 3 or 4 years ago.Should I be worried about anything else happening?...

I got a ticket for no drivers lisence. I need find out how much I will be fined! Please!?

What happens if i stand up in a court room and start talking to the judge?
P.S. THIS IS NOT A JURY TRIAL, JUST SENTANCING INFRONT OF OTHER CRIMMINALS. THE DEFENDANT IS NOT IN CUSTODY.[[and i would do it when he was stalking to a defendant i came with]]
Additional D...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, December 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links