Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Police officers: I want to show my appreciation to a cop that helped me after an accident, what do you suggest
Find answers to your legal question.

Police officers: I want to show my appreciation to a cop that helped me after an accident, what do you suggest

I was a victim of a hit and run today in Denver, CO and the police officer that came to help me was so kind to me! Do you know what would be the best way to share my appreciation for his kindness? Send a letter to the police department telling them what a great cop I think he is? Just send a letter to his department addressed to him to thank him? both? what would you suggest?

xphxpd
Rating
Send your letter to the chief of police explaining the details.It will go down the chain of command with comments added.Then placed in his file forever.

Kenneth C
Rating
As some people suggested here, serious or not. Sending gifts is not a great idea. Most PDs don't really officers to accept gifts worth money. So it would probably be just a waste.

Write a letter to the chief and officer that says thank you, that will be enough.

fideux
Send the letter to the officer, and a copy to the Chief of Police. That way he will get both the thank you from you, and the credit for a job well done from his employer.

It will be very beneficial to him at his annual review.

Kitties_4me2
Rating
You can do all of those suggestions above, as well as, write a letter to the Editor of your local newspaper, or call them and ask if you can submit a story, or take an add out and thank him for the world to see!

Cindy
I'm not a police Officer, but I am a retired Federal Officer. I would do both, send a letter to both the department as well as the officer. I would think that would be a really nice thing to do for that person who was so there for you. It will show his superiors what a good officer he is, and I'm sure that it will be put into his permanent record and that will be a nice thing for him. I'm sure that he will love to have a wonderful letter to put with all of his other things that he has earned over the years. He will have an appreciation for your letter to him.

Good for you, that you want to take the time to do this for him, to show your appreciation. That is a wonderful thing to do for him. God bless you.

Daisy
Rating
I would send a letter to the police chief and cc it to the mayor as well. That way the letter will be put into the officer's file and he'll get a copy of it from the police chief's secretary. Also, you could write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper and hope that maybe they print it.

kolya k
Send a letter to the department and they will show it to him. This is the best way.

flafuncop
Rating
Everyone has great ideas on here with the exception of the donuts LOL.
Cindy the retired FED summed it up. I would write to the Mayor, Chief and go through the chain of command and in addition maybe just give the officer a short note of thanks. I can tell you that a short note of thanks is invaluable to an officer.
The other user is also correct in saying to not send gifts. Officers are generally not allowed to take gifts (gratuities) of any kind and if you send food (donuts) most officers wont eat them for safety reasons. If you are male and send flowers as one suggested it will cause some issues with his co-workers as well.
A nice letter goes a long ...long way..
Thanks for recognizing his efforts and all my best!

mikey
Rating
A letter to the Sheriff or Police Chief depending on which it was is usually the best idea. I have gotten letters, cards and even a batch of cookies from a little old lady I pulled over. Any recognition feels good. Great idea.

elaeblue
A letter of commendation to his superior officer will be put in his file and could affect his chances for promotions.

Brian C
Rating
Send a letter to the Chief of Police and have him relate your thanks to the individual officer. Please don't send gifts, your thanks will be more than enough.

billy
Rating
GOOD POLICE OFFICERS DON'T LIKE GIFTS AND SOME DON'T EVEN LIKE BEING RECOGNIZED IN PUBLIC, SO CHAIN OF COMMAND LETTER WOULD BE THE BEST IDEA. LET HIM BE RECOGNIZED BY HIS PEARS AND PROBABLY EARN HIM A PROMO SOME DAY. LEAVE ALONE DONUTS, EVEN THOSE WHO LIKE SCOTCH WILL NOT TAKE IT FROM YOU.

Shwig
Rating
Find out which department he works for, go to their website and they may have a commend an officer for you can fill out which will be given to the officer. Or, call the department and ask for the officer's name, badge number and if the department has an option for commendation from the public, most do so I'm sure it will be OK.

Dont get Infected
you could send him a letter or email. if you really wanted to you could give him a gift certificate for Starbucks but its not really necessary. and the donut thing isnt as true as people think. i dont know many cops that like donuts.

my avatar's hot!
Letter to the Police Chief, they'll make a fuss over him at roll call. You could also send a gift card for dinner for him and the missus, I'm sure he'd appreciate that!

clearthinkingamerican
Send a letter along with a donation to the cheif of police suggesting that officer get a pay increase.

Susan L.

unknown_king
send him a whole buncha donuts but dnt over do it

<>mishi<>
I would send him a letter or make some thing like some delicious food and bring it over to him at the police station..

AlaskaMusher
Write a letter to the Chief of Police or sheriff. You could send him a $20-$25 Starbucks Gift Card. Keep it small.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I received a speeding ticket in Iowa, but I don't want to pay it.?
I'm from Minnesota, will the state know about it? I realize that I would be in trouble if I went back to Iowa and got pulled over, but I don't plan on that. If all they did was essentially ...

For law enforcement or attorneys - is this vehicle theft?
A "friend" of mine asked to borrow my car for a specific amount of time and purpose. His intension, however, was to take my car and not give it back. I didn't know when I lent him ...

Fake name on a ticket for drinking.
So I went to a party and was on my way home when a cop stopped us. I'm only 16 years old and was with my boyfriend and two friends. They got me for underage drinking and I was an idiot and gave ...

Can i find out online if im wanted by the police in the uk.?

Is it an offence to pose as a police officer if you are only a special?

About 8 weeks ago my neighbour was brought home by plain clothed police and removed things from his?
home ,then the police took his keys and gave them to a neighbour. He then drove away.He is now back (6 wks on) but parks his car out of sight.Can anyone tell me why this could be,he has a history of ...

Can you be a police officer if you have been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder?
Supposing, that is, that the bipolar individual is properly stabalized on medications and regularly evaluated by a psychiatrist....

Is it illegal to ask for an identification card when a customer uses their credit card to purchase their items?
I'm an employee at a retail store. Our store policy is to ALWAYS ask for identification if the customer wishes to use their credit card to make sure they're not using any but their own. R...

Should i go to college if i want to become a cop ?

Do you think self defense should be considered murder when someone ends up dead????
Say you were getting attacked and you fight back and you end up killing the person that attacks you. Should u be charged with murder or just self defense. Do you think that self defense should be ...

Will i get jail time for getting cought steeling twise?
I got charged for stealing in Fl, at sears, am i gana get jail time?
at sears, the amount was 58 dollers, and sears decited to press charges,I have a court date in a month, am i gana get jail ...

Honest homeless people have nothing! Robbers and killers get everything when caught.?
Honest homeless people struggle to survive while robbers and killers get air conditioning, heat, tv, decent food, exercise, a roof over their heads. Our legal system stinks. Jail should be a horrible ...

Is anyone else sick & tired of the Police BASHING?
I can't believe these idiots who get a ticket or commit a crime of some type and write lie's about the Police just because they have a need to blame someone other than themselves. A ...

Is there such a thing as the perfect crime?
Surely the perfect crime is one where no-one realises it is a crime?

What do you think?...

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF THEY WAS A BANK ROBBERY AND YOU WERE A WORKER THE GUN WAS POINTED @ YOU?
the question I need answered is if you were terrified how would you respond to the robber who had a gun pointed right at you and said you'll be the first to go if anything goes wrong? would you ...

Why do crooks rob the pore?
If this is you, im sorry? I cant be nice to people if they force me to not trust them....

EVERYBODY PLEASE ANSWER!!! What is the best way of reducing youth crime?
I'm trying to get a ton of responses so please answer! Hoping for at least 100 answers. This is for school so please answer seriously. What do you think is the best way of reducing youth crime?<...

Don't be offended } please read though?
Ok anybody, i want to know what you thin about abortion...
All i know is that my church does this thing with a group of people. We go out and hold signs on the street to stop abortion. My friend ...

Should the main goal of prisons be to rehabilitate or punish?
I need information on this topic as well as opinions. I REALLY need stories of how rehabilitation is unsuccesful and examples of recidivism. I'm completely on the punish side. I believe ...

Is this guy the world's dumbest criminal or what?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ ROFLMAO!!!...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, December 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links