Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Rights when being pulled over, Refuse a breathalyzer?
Find answers to your legal question.

Rights when being pulled over, Refuse a breathalyzer?

One of my professors was speaking off topic in one of our lessons and he asked us if we knew our rights when being pulled over. He said his son was a lawyer and that's how he knew. He said if your ever pulled over you only need to pull down your window a tiny bit for your own safety. He also said that if you are asked to get out of your car, you can say no, and also if they ask to search your car and to take a breathalyzer you can refuse? I've never been pulled over, so are these things true. If not, what are your rights when you get pulled over? He may just hate his students and wants to see them arrested. This is on Ohio.

Andy G {Join The Resistance}
Rating
Your professor may have told you conflicting information from his lawyer son. Your professor is not wrong, but there are a few discrepancies with his statement.

1. You can roll down your window a tiny bit, and you can explain to the officer that it is for your own safety. However, an officer does have the right and the authority to ask you to get out of the vehicle. Failure to do so can result in obstruction or failure to follow the orders of a peace officer.

2. Once an officer has probable cause, they are allowed to search your vehicle and detain you while they are searching your person and your vehicle.

3. Most states have laws that if a driver refuses a breathalyzer their license is automatically suspended for over 30 days, this is "implied consent law". But the reason you are being told to refuse a breathalyzer is because a defense attorney can argue during trial that there was no way to determine the accurate Blood Alcohol Content of the body. And since alcohol metabolizes, even with a blood sample an attorney could argue that you were within the limit. You can refuse a breathalyzer but not without consequences.

However, you are allowed (in OHIO) the right to counsel before taking any field sobriety tests or breathalyzer tests. The officer must grant you sufficient time for your attorney to be present. And you can bet that if someone called at 3 AM to represent someone on the highway I am going to get there ASAP. Once those handcuffs are placed on a suspect, the best defense is to stay quiet until you have consulted an attorney.

youthpastor1955
He is dead wrong. If an officer asks you to step out, and you refuse, you are disobeying a lawful order. Refusing a test gets an automatic suspension on your license. If they can prove Probable Cause, they can search your car at will.

I have found many times that those who cannot do the job themselves become professors.

DrinkingAndDriving.Org President
Rating
As you've seen from other responses here, refusing a breathalyzer test WILL get you arrested and WILL result in suspension of your license.

A lot of his other advice was crap too. You can find that stuff all over the web - "How to Beat a DUI" - yeah, right! Most such advice is littered with actions guaranteed to piss off the officer who pulled you over, like not cooperating.

That said, it is important to know your rights. But be very careful because most advice you hear on beating a DUI will just make things worse!

Remember, there is only one true way to beat a DUI. That's to never driver drunk, stoned, wired or tired in the first place.

kerfitz
YOu do have the right to only open your window a little, you have the right to ask the police officer to call backup if you "are uncomfortable with only him being present" but you must comply with their orders to vacate the vehicle. If you refuse the breathalyzer it is an automatic suspension of your drivers license. They WILL confiscate your car right then and there. You do have the right to say "no" to an unwarranted search, they will say they could easily get a warrant and then you should tell them to do it. Of course any refusal to comply with the lawful directions of a police officer will only get you into more hot water. It is usually best to just get out of the car if they ask, be polite as possible, refuse to let them search, (because that usually takes up a lot of time, and they will not push it if they have no cause)

trooper3316
Rating
Your professor is wrong.

There is a US Supreme Court case on this, so it is applicable in all states. In Maryland v. Wilson, the Court determined an officer can order all occupants to exit the vehicle.

As far as refusal to to field sobriety, that is evidence of intoxication and will be used against you in court.

I realize this is outside the scope of your question, but I will address it because another post is wrong. When performing a K-9 search, you can not detain a person while waiting for a dog. The dog must arrive during the normal time frame of the traffic stop.

The K-9 would not apply to your situation anyway, as if you refuse field sobriety you will be arrested. The officer then can search your car incident to the arrest.

sensible_man
Rating
Roadside sobriety tests are usually given before a breathalyzer is requested. Refusing to submit to the test (in most States) automatically suspends your license. It is also a separate charge from a DUI. Even if you went to court and were found Not Guilty of DUI, the refusal would still apply. Refusing to obey a lawful order will get you arrested. Refusing to allow a search of your vehicle can cost you lots of time. After you refuse, the officer can hold you until a drug dog can be dispatched to sniff the outside of the vehicle. This may take a couple hours.

mr. son of a bitchh
Rating
I work in Ohio with one of the captains of Cleveland City Police.... We were talkin about this one day and he gave me one piece of advice if you get pulled over..... "never take the test"... he said 95% of people who are found guilty of DUI self incriminate themselves by submitting to a breath test.... if you don't take the test, there's no evidence you are DUI. And, smell of alcohol is not probable cause for anything.... He said that with a refusal, you will go to jail for the nite. But he told me to say as little as possible and don't agree to anything

Gundam94
Most of the answers here are correct. But one:
"Refusing to allow a search of your vehicle can cost you lots of time. After you refuse, the officer can hold you until a drug dog can be dispatched to sniff the outside of the vehicle. This may take a couple hours."

That is wrong. While they can walk a dog around your car, they cant make you wait longer "than a reasonable amount of time to conduct a traffic stop". That's what the US Supreme Court has ruled.

homeboybeastwar@sbcglobal.net
Rating
Not true. Basically if you tell them no, you're giving them probable cause. If it's safety you're worried about, I've heard of people who told the cop they wanted to go someplace safer (better lit area, etc). One of my teachers at community college worked for a large police force, and said that if a person refused a breathalyzer he has every right to take the person's license and cut it up right there. And I have another cop friend who basically said they can make up anything to say they have probable cause (say they smell alcohol, weed, etc)

The Ugly Truth
Police are humans with a badge, i.e. they play God. They make the rules. If they want to pull you over, they can make up any reason they want. They make up their own probable cause. You just better be nice no matter how nasty they are. In Georgia, you are allowed to request a blood test at a facility/hospital of your choosing even though you refused their roadside tests.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What does concerted discipline mean?
REGARDING MORE THAN A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF CUSTODIES IN A CELL BREAK THE RULES...

I just got charged with a misdemeanor and I am going overseas on May 7. Does this impact my travel?
I got charged with a 3rd degree misdemeanor and my preliminary hearing is scheduled for late April. I am going overseas on May 7. The crime happened after I bought my plane ticket. This is my first ...

Is the the current ressession affecting the Police Forces up and down the country?

What does a special detective do?
I was wondering what you call those people you hire to spy on your partner if you’re suspecting them from having an affair. What do you call that guy that follows and spies on your spouse?
Is ...

I am receiving threats via voicemail that i consider terroristic threats.?
I live in Georgia and am wondering if the police can put an end to all of this. I am worried for my personal safety....

**HELP ME**...If i have probation in GA..but violate it in Tn will i go to jail for the remainer?
I was arrested dec in cobb county for dui, underage drinking, possession of liquor,wreckless, and speeding..but mainly DUI the other were charges.

I got probation till Nov 2009..my license ...

Are you allowed to have a keyboard cell on you if youre a cop?
and on duty....

I was caught for petty theft 484pc the item stolen was less than $200 what are my options?
The item stolen was valued at under $200. I am a first time offender. Theft took place in California at a university bookstore. I am 21 years old. What do i do when i go to court? How much will court ...

Could I get in trouble legally from letting 99 red balloons loose in the air?
I was going to let them loose in the park this summer with little notes inside them. But could i get charged with like, mass littering or something? ...

Will they let you pay off probation fees as well as anger management by doing community services?
is this for most states, if unable to pay?

how much do they pay to do this?

do they give you more hours than you have to pay ?

please explain how often this is done?<...

What will happen if you're on probation and you leave the state and don't come back?
Say someone lives in Michigan, and they're on probation in a certain county. Then they get in trouble in another county, and knows that if their probation officer from the other county finds out,...

I got a DWI in MD can i see my police report?
3 days ago i got pulled over for my right tag iluminator being out, long story short i am not 21, so i am in big trouble. I am against drinking and driving i had one drink all night a friend needed ...

Can you still have a bachlors degree but not complete all the credits required?
I wanna look into becoming a US marshall but i dont know if i need all 4 years of a bachlors degree.
Im planning on joining the Marines and being an MP but i wanna earn some college credit while ...

What will a 950,000 volt stun gun do to a person?
i was wondering how much impact will it have?...

What are the reasons why you would be denied a gun?

How long does a DWI stay on your driving record?
I was just curious, it came to my mind after talking to my girlfriend about how long minor violations stay on record (which is an average of three years)....

Is it true that rookies cops try to chase everything and veterans prioritize?
In other words, rookie cops pull over every seatbelt violation they see and veterans do not because all they would be doing all day long is writing seat belt tickets.
Additional Details
S...

Correctional Officer!?
I wanted to become a correctional officer for a really long time.. I need to know what to study or if its hard.. Please help me out.. my test date is april 4...

What is the law about "run aways" in Washington state?
I moved out of my parents house at 16 to live with family, I was then kicked out of there but called in as a run away for a short time. My mom wrote off the run away charge because I agreed to move ...

Can police match buckshot from a shotgun to the shotgun it was fired from if used in a crime? If so how?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links