Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

What can happen to you if you do not pick up a certifed letter?
Find answers to your legal question.

What can happen to you if you do not pick up a certifed letter?

is it illegal to not pick up a certified letter

Mama Pastafarian
Rating
You won't get arrested just for not picking up the certified letter. What will happen depends upon the contents of that letter.

If it's from a debt collector, you might get sued anyway. They could serve you by publishing the information in the newspaper, and then everyone will know your business.

If it's from the police, it won't stop them from issuing a warrant for your arrest.

If you're being sued, the sender can keep the certified letter sealed to show proof to the court that they tried to contact you and you refused the letter.

Wendy B
Rating
No its not illegal it will go back to the sender

Juan Valdez
Rating
You will be arrested

James
No, you can refuse any mail, certified or otherwise.

fr_chuck
no, it will just go back to the sender, but this will be considered legal enough attempt at service, so if they are sueing you, they can go ahead iwth the court case and you will not be there.

claude
No - in the UK it is just returned to the sender if you haven't picked it up within 3 weeks.

bmwdriver11
Rating
No, its not. Just dont pick it up if you dont want to, they will find a different way to serve you though, so it will only help so much.

eehco
Rating
After 3 attempts to deliver to the address, it gets returned to the sender. It's not necessarily illegal not to pick up a certified letter, but the fact that you didn't pick it up doesn't change the fact that attempts were made to contact you and you didn't respond.

JULIE
nothing will happen to you but the letter will be sent back to the sender

The Rebel
No.

ray
after a couple of days, it will be sent back to the sender.
it's not illegal. I can send you a certified letter, but it's your right if you want to pick it up or not.

kathy059
Nothing will happen to you. The PO will make a few attempts at getting you to go pick it up. When you don't, it will simply be sent back.

kjonno91
Rating
no its not

Michael S
Rating
Of course not. It's your mail. You can do whatever you want with it, including not picking it up.

Dan W
Rating
It is not Illegal to not pick up mail or refuse mail
What can happen varies by state law

Usually they have to get it hand delivered to you [ unless you signed refused ]
That will happen by civil service ( Sheriffs Dept.) or private service - certified server

Some places they can get an automatic default judgment because of non response - you lose with no chance in court

If it is a loan company they can default you upon return of mail

A spouse can divorce you after serving old address in areas

Get a lawyers advice or check State statutes please

But you will not get jail anywhere for refusing or ignoring

Helyne H
It's not illegal, you have a right to ignore it if you wish.

Mr Answer
Rating
Nothing happens. They send it back to the sender. If it is a legal matter you will end up in court anyway. The sender just has to prove that they notified you by certified mail. The sender just has to show the retuned letter to the judge if the judge asks for it. Like if you did not pay the rent. The landlord will send you a certified letter containing a notice to pay the rent or vacate the premises.

mcm
a friend has ended our relationship, he had his business send me a certified letter , i did not go get it. i'm sure it says something threating like stay away or they will take out a resptaining order. what can they do if i do not get it and I do not intend to see him or contact him again anyway. I have info from him to bury the Co. and he is afraid I will tell. so he is threating me.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What happens if i throw juice at a cop?
if i told him "hey dont i pay your salary you p*r*i*c*k in a hat got get me a glass of water " then take the ticket out hjis hand and look it over then throw it at him and throw juice at ...

Is it against the law not to give way to emergency services when have blue light working?
thought the sevices had to obey highway code. who is at fault if service went through red light and caused a death??
Additional Details
so when the emegancy service goes through a red ...

Re; The unlawful killing of Jean Charles DeMenenzes.?
After 2 years of lies and coverup in the case of Jean Charles DeMenenzes unlawful killing by anti-terrorist police on the London underground it seems the truth might now be emerging with the ...

If your car has run flat tyres would they help you get away in a high speed police chase?

Probable cause for pulling me over??????????
I just went to a local convenice store with my boyfriend where he purchased some alcohol. Apparently there was a prison guard in a truck near me and thought it was kind of odd that i pulled around to ...

Speeding ticket question?
Ok, a few days ago I got a speeding ticket for doing 23 mph over the limit in a 45 zone.

The ticket is payable and I plan on going in to pay it this week before my court so that I do not ...

Is it legal for you to put a container on you back yard?
yesterday i put a container on my back yard and the nightbor was yellin because i put it there and he says that he is going to call the police can they make me take it out?...

Boyfriend in jail for FTA while on probation..?
My boyfriend was put on probation back in march or so for posession of controlled substance [adhd medication that someone left in his car, drug dogs searched and found at school]. He got 2 years ...

Finger prints?
if u r finger printed, how long would it take for those to no longer be valid or is 1 time printed good for a life time. just wondered because every time i go to jail they re print me....

Are speed cameras good or bad?

Is There Ever Likely To Be Another 9/11?
The Americans were caught offguard on September 11 2001.

However, now their intelligence services (as well as those of their allies such as the UK) are focussed very much on the activities ...

Police took my DNA and thumbprints after cautioning me over a minor offence. what happens now?
My friend lent me his oyster card. I was caught by transport police. To protect my friend, I told them I took the card without his knowledge. Police let me off with a caution for finding/theft of ...

Do the Police think they are above the law?
Twice this week i have seen a police officer driving a police car on his mobile and one not even wearing a seat belt,if i see this again i will walk in front of it so he/she as to brake hard see what ...

Can a traffic warden still issue a ticket if i drive away before he finishes writ ting it.?
i parked in a disabled area and the traffic warden saw me as he was walking over he was writing what i assume was my registration number down however as he approached i attempted to drive away he ...

What is Swat???!!!?

What do you think the terrorists were thinking?
What do you think those terrorists were thinking when they flew the planes into the towers? Did they honestly think they would see their god? Or would they see only the devil with a lot of angry ...

I just read that 50% of the population hate Police Officers. Do you? If so, why?
I do not hate the Police. Just trying to see from the responders how accurate a statement this is. If you hate the Police, can you give us a reason why? Thank you....

Partner being punished for hitting youth for firing at his 8 year old son in window?
few weeks ago our son was looking through bedroom window seconds after the window was broken with a catapult, my son had seen 4 youths over the road told us who they were so my partner ran out to ...

Where is Bin Ladin ?
Is it possible he would hide where he would least likely be sought,
in New York City perhaps, and could he be in diguise?...

What should be the punishment for a cop killer?
A couple of weeks back a police office was killed in my town. He was 30 years old. He pulled over a guy for speeding and when he approached the car the drive shot the office once in the mouth ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links