Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

What does three life sentences mean?
Find answers to your legal question.

What does three life sentences mean?

just wondering.

Nightrider
Some well meaning and some truly less than insightful answers above me here. I will try to give a better idea of what happens during a trial.

A person is tried for each crime committed. Take Jeffrey Dahmer as an example. He killed, cut up, cooked and ate children. He was tried for multiple murders and was sentenced to 15 consecutive life sentences. That was one life sentence for each of the murders he was found guilty of.

Although this may seem redundant, any person who gets a life sentence is going to spend many years sitting in the legal library searching for loopholes and filing motions by the dozens. He can legally get a charge reduced or overturned in an appeals case.

Suppose that various points of law were violated during 6 of the charges in that particular trial. He ( in theory) would have 6 life sentences overturned and be found innocent. Using our judicial system, he is still serving 9 life sentences. He would literally have to fight each and every charge in appeals court if he ever expects to be released.

Ronnie Shelton ( The Cleveland West Side Rapist) was charged with over 50 counts of rape. He was convicted on 38 counts. If his charges were added up per charge, he would have had 3,034 years ( over 3 thousand years). As it was, he was given a provisional sentence of 356 years with a mandatory minimum of 156 years. He will not see a parole board for a first hearing before serving 156 years. Technically not a life sentence, but I seriously doubt he will live out his sentence.

Sentences are stacked due to the letter of the law. When multiple charges are tried together, the sentences are stacked one on another instead of a single sentence just in case the person can find a legal loophole on a single point of law.

I hope this helps somewhat better than some of the above answers.

jj
Rating
Self-explanatory, isn't it?

Chains
It means that they will lock you up in a room, and then throw away the room.

You Know
Depends on if it is consecutive or concurrent. If consecutive your only hope of being on the outside of a prison is escape or pardon, because if you actually make parole for one then the other begins. Though probably not likely if concurrent you are serving them at the same time, but will still need to be paroled for all three to ever see the light of day again. So to sum up my answer if your serving three life consecutive sentences you better hope you know a good lawyer or politician.

Rocket-man
Rating
At least three different capital convictions.

firefrost8k
It depends on the state but a life sentence doesn't mean you will serve life in prison.

John S
Rating
Legally, an inmate may have a sentence commuted or reduced for good behavior / community service or reciprocity made to victims families. For example, In the event that 3 different murders are committed, the perpetrator begins serving one life sentence. If the parole board finds that good behavior and compensation was made to a family the sentence could be reduced or eliminated through commutation of the parole board findings. Then the inmate must begin serving the next life sentence of the 3.

Rod J
It means if you reincarnate they're still going to get you at least twice.

homebyfive
Rating
In A Nut SHELL YOU'RE SCREWED

Ron C
Rating
When a crime that has been committed is so severe that the judicial punishment extends beyond just one life sentence. Ergo, it's like saying "You're going to jail until you rot and then some" or something.

Edward
It means they're going to resurrect your a$$ twice to make you go through it all again and again.

Live Free or Die
Rating
There's an amount of years that is determined to equal a life sentence and I forget how it works,but say it's 50 years. You would times that by 3 so it would be 150 year sentence.

Pyar
3 life sentences means you will die in prison .

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How do you rob a bank without getting caught?

Can you attack some one if they are threatening you?
if some one threatens to throw a rock at me can i attack them with out getting in trouble with the law?
Additional Details
i didnt do anything and yeah they have the rock in their hands.....

Would i be involved and arrested?
My best friend and another girl have been having these issues.
and welll the cops have now been involved.
The cops said that if my friend and the other girl have any criminal activity he ...

What is a CHIN's petition for the state of South Dakota?
I have a 12 year old son that they are going to put on a CHIN's petition on the 28th of this month, so i was wondering what it was....

Should bullying be a felony charge?
it causes suicides and school shootings so I think it needs to be taken alot more serious, and the penalties should be very bad, possibly life destroying to make them think very hard before taunting ...

Automatic camera & traffic police directing traffic.Will I get ticket when camera snaps at red light?
It happens here in my country, I'm not sure if the local authority would still issue tickets if a traffic police is directing the traffic, overriding the traffic light signals (of course). But ...

Does a US citizen need a passport to Nogales?Is nogales part of arizona or mexico?
Any ways my question is my friend wants to go visit nogales!I am not sure if its in arizona or mexico. But she wants to go there to see a doctor & get some hydrocodone, oxycodone or whatever ...

I have a question about my first driving ticket?
I was ticketed a few weeks ago on my way back to school (CA) from lunch (we have open campus)

Long story short, there was an accident, I tried to slowly drive around it, and this lady cop ...

If you own a gun for security, can you provide a link that shows you are safer with a gun?
my last question asked why people needed, guns, and most people ignored the fact guns are more likely to used against themselves/friends/families accidentally, and less likely to be used to stop an ...

I was given a citation for underage possession of alcohol i was asleep the 2 chaperons were in their room?
police woke me up I asked for breathalyzer said I had not participated. I really did not have anywhere to go as we were in a rental house 4 hours from home the adult chaperones were in their room ...

I got a speeding ticket in Massachusetts but have a CT license.?
The Officer said I was going 91 in a 65. I honestly think I wasnt going that fast and it was at midnight with no lights on the road, how does he know it was my car? At any rate, will Connecticut ...

New NJ driving decals for people under 21?
I just read an article about drivers under 21 being forced to have stickers on their car because some kid died three years ago when she was in a car breaking that passenger limit for teens... one ...

Why Do Hijackers Ask For Things From The Police?
Do the police actually give the hijackers the things they ask for?

Why would the police give them things they ask for when they just hijacked someone?...

What kind of legal protection do British private investigators receive?
We see US investigators on TV and in film get away with breaking into places, even shooting people, but I was wondering what kind of protection their counterparts in the UK get? What kinds of things ...

What are some features of a good Law?
What are some features of a good law?
Just quick bulletpoints are fine :)

T...

What does "Lateral Transfer" mean regarding police officers?
I'm thinking it means if you transfer departments, you apply for the "lateral" position?

And also: when transferring departments, do you have to go through another ...

Where can you find list of teachers arrested in california?

Does the emergency room give my BAC results to my probation officer?

RAPE!?!?!?!?!? HELP!!!! &....?
Is it rape if someone fingered you and you said no and stop multiple times.

& what EXACTLY is the difference between rape and molestation?

& molestation just ...

Americas Most Wanted & opening up a 14 year old case...?
When i was 5 years old my dad killed my mom. My mom's brothers and sisters decided to drop the case. Therefore my dad was never caught and never actually looked for. My brothers and i are at ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links