Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

What happens if a police officer makes a mistake on a traffic ticket?
Find answers to your legal question.

What happens if a police officer makes a mistake on a traffic ticket?

i got 7 tickets for leaving a truck i bought on the street while i was waiting for the title to be re sent the original owner signed the wrong area an the cop who issued the ticket on one of the tickets he wrote statute no.37:6b-2 wich doesn't exist in new jersey after some digging i figured out it was sopose to be statue no.39:6b-2 this is clearly a 7 an no way that it is a 9 so i was wondering if that could get that ticket thrown out
Additional Details
i forgot i tried paying all the tickets an the said court appearance required but on the ticket it doesn't say that do i go to court on the day it says or do i call the town an get a new court date

weapon_30
Rating
That summons was issued for not having insurance, that is what 39:6B-2 is for. If you go in front of a judge and ask for the ticket to be dismissed because of an administrative error (The wrong statute number was written in this case) the judge is going to call the officer up to the stand and ask the officer what the ticket was issued for. If the wrong statute number was written the judge is going to make an administrative amendment to the ticket (write in the correct statute number) and the summons will be "re-issued to you" so to speak. You can not have a summons dismissed for an administrative error. That only happens on television. As far as getting 7 tickets at one time? That is a little bit excessive. You may be able to have some of those tickets 'merged' together. I would bring an attorney. Also, on the court appearance. There are certain offenses that require a court appearance. 396B-2 is one of them. The officer may have forgot to check the box, but the court should notify you to tell you of the court date. If they have not called you, you better call them to find out when the date is. If you miss the court date a failure to appear warrant can be issued for your your arrest.

Judge Dredd
Being that title 37 under New Jersey Statutes covers marriage and married persons I doubt that the Judge will agree that the officer meant a 7 instead of a 9. It's title 39 that is the traffic code for the state. You can try but most judge's aren't going to be that sympathetic, especially since you received 6 other tickets.

tikitiki
Rating
You can try.....won't hurt. He wrote you 7 tickets at once? If so, then they really don't have anything better to do. If it was over a period of time, why didn't you move it? :) Good luck!!

Marissa Di
Maybe. New Jersey police can be awful on traffic tickets, as I was once the victim of this and traveled very far back to New Jersey for this ticket. They were awful, I don't mean the judge, I mean the atmosphere, the viciousness, there was no communication. I would proceed with caution, and if you can get this tossed, consider yourself very lucky.
It was a U turn, no speeding, no insults, it was just an awful experience and changed my view of New Jersey forever. (it wasn't the local police, and you may get a break with the local police)

fr_chuck
many mistakes, color of truck, year of truck and simular would still allow it to be valid, but this is one of the few mistakes that will make it not valid, you appear in court and ask for the ticket to be dismised because their is no such violation under state code. * don't tell them what it suppose to be.

evolvedintofeminist
Rating
Possible, not probable. I was in court when just such a situation came up on another case ahead of me. The judge and the bailiff and the court clerk got together and found the appropriate charge and the gentleman had to pay that fine.

bbasingal
If there is an error on the ticket it will most likely get amended in court to the correct statute. There is no harm in trying though........

Hope this helps.

milkiboi
its worth a shot . so i would

KittyKat
Rating
If you don't go to court when they say to, they will most likely issue a warrant for your arrest and you don't want that on your record, too. Go to (don't call) the Clerk of Courts to get any discrepancies cleared up on the tickets and let them advise you on what steps to take and get any paperwork you can get from them on the laws, etc, and what they advise you to do. Anyone can make a mistake, just like you did by leaving the truck there long enough to get 7 tickets :)

debjen1975
Rating
Yes, it can be thrown out on a technicality.

California Street Cop
Its called an "administrative error". Won't get it tossed here in Cali.

CGIV76
Rating
They could be corrected in court. But you still may have a chance. Maybe.

old fuzz
Rating
Worth a shot, I suppose. I suspect what will happen the the judge will have the officer correct the ticket in court. Administrative errors usually don't void tickets, factual errors do.

no body
Rating
It's best to call and ask or reallygo in. You dont want to ignore it. He may have gotten it wrong on the ticket, but it is placed in a computer or on file and that wont be wrong. So get it settled or you might be in for it big.
Besides they might wave it for the mistake, lol

smalltowncop2261
Of course it is your right to go to court and fight it but I don’t see this being thrown out based on just the wrong statute being put on the ticket. The description of the offense is probably correct and DA would realize this and amend the charge to make it correct. Based on all the other tickets you have received for this same offense, I don’t see the judge going out of his way to throw out the ticket.
Now if he spelled your name wrong or put the wrong DOB, then you might have something to work with.
Best bet, if you committed the violation, just pay the ticket and do whatever you need to do so you don’t get anymore of the same tickets.

Lord L
Yep

q6656303
Rating
we police dont make mistakes ever
and if we do its your fault
be quiet or we will shoot

sillygal2355
what happen if a cop write down the wrong information about your vehicle, you gave him insanuce paper, it has all the information about my car...

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why do cop commit crimes? ?
I went on a double date with my wife and her friend and her date the cop and he is a LA county sheriff deputy. He confessed That he beat a 13yr old boy for dropping a stand on accident. He believes ...

If someone is on your property, and you ask them to leave, and they don't, can you shoot them?
If you have a REGISTERED gun and the gun is completely legal?

Just something I've always wondered!
Additional Details
I live in PA, and say you come outside with your LEGA...

Do police officers need a reason to pull you over?
I'm 16 and I've been pulled over twice. They always say that I was driving "questionably" late at night. I'll be coming home from a party ( Not drunk or under the influence ...

WHY WONT the GOVERNMENT PAY MONEY FOR UPGRADES FOR THE AIRPORT TO DETECT BOMBS????
i mean whats a couple more quid compared to millions of lives (i know im going on the extremes)

why do you think this is?
also what do you think of the bomb scare?
do you think ...

Parking Ticket--Fight or Pay?
I got a parking ticket back in November in Walnut Creek California. I put 2 quarters into the meter for an hour's time, and when I came back at 5 to the hour, I had a ticket that had been ...

If police have a warrant to search your house and you have a safe bolted to the wall is there anyway they...?
Could make you open it...
Brake into it...
or take it with them

what if its bolted to the wall well enough so they cant take it...

if i had drugs in a safe that was ...

It gets worse, Police officers asking a 15 yo girl to pick up litter started a riot...?
They asked her to pick up some rubbish she's dropped, but she became aggresive, sparking off a fight in which the officers were attacked by up to 30 people, including many adults, and bitten!!<...

Are you for or against the dealth penalty?
Explain.......?...

Can i legally drive my car nude? ?
uim the type who loves to be naked in everything i do. but dont wana bug no one or upset anyone with my behavior. only answer my question if you. know how i ...

Funniest cop story?
please share any funny stories involving you and a police officer....

Why do we always associate our POLICE with DOUGHNUTS? Don't they have ANOTHER SNACKS to tuck in?
Since when our police became involved with this whole donuts stuffs?
Does the same thing also happen to our military forces?
Our very own army, navy, and air force?...

Arlington county virginia driving on a restricted license, whats the possible jail sentence?
Is there any way to get out of a jail sentence and pay a fine, if you are driving on a restricted license because of a DUI. The original jail sentence was suspendent given that the deffendent ...

Anyone know law on going through red light.?
A few weeks ago friends were visiting from, were visiting from Holland. I have been sharing a few peoples cars.,when there not getting used. The owner of one of the cars asked me if i had been caught ...

I got pulled over for running a yellow light i got a ticket?
I did speed up to make the light, however i never broke the speed limit. I also got a ticket for not having a my current address on my license. Should i fight these tickets or i am screwed?
i ...

What states allow women to be Police officers?
I was told that the only jobs that are available for women are teacher, nurse and secretary. I was thinking of becoming a police officer, but since women are not allowed to train for this kind of ...

Did the police perform an illegal search on me?
I was in my friends backyard. The way his house is designed the front porch entry of the house leads to the backyard withour one having to step foot into the house. The police officers where ...

Why do american police eat doughnuts?

Who do u beleved killed oj simspons wife?
do u think oj had anything to do with it? just a bit concerned since the book "if i did it"...

What crimes have you committed?

Who are the most disgusting criminals on th planet? what should we to with them?
I've gotten so many interesting answers for my previous question I decided to ask this one too.

I think the most disgusting criminals on the planet are those who get pleasure out of ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, September 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links