Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

What happens if you don't see a judge 72 hours after you've gotten arrested, do they release you?
Find answers to your legal question.

What happens if you don't see a judge 72 hours after you've gotten arrested, do they release you?

ahsoasho2u2
The normal cause of action is to arrest, book on charge.
Now we come to the fun part.
Arrested on an investigative hold-can hold 72 hours without actual charge.
Charged, can bail out if bailable charge, should be arraigned within 24hours to 72 hours exclusive of holidays and weekends.
Charged capital offense, no bail, must see the judge to have a bail set if one is to be set or not with in the scope of the 8th amendment.
After first appearance(varies from state to state) or plea arraignment, a trial date will be set.

norskeyenta2
Depends on what you did and how many times you've broke the Law. If it is simple Misdemeanors, they fine you, set a court date and go from there. Most often they release you.

Quasimodo
Rating
This would depend upon where you are. For example in Connecticut you're taken into police custody after court closes on Friday or an extended holiday weekend. The police put together a 48 hour probable cause report. It lists your charges, your bond and gives a brief synopsis of the events surrounding your arrest. This is then taken to residence of the on call judge in your jurisdiction. He/she reviews the report and signs off on it with the determination of keeping you in custody until you're presented in court or ordering your release for lack of probable cause.

laughter_every_day
Rating
In the u.s., if you are arrested without a warrant, then a judge must review the probable cause within 48 hours to approve your continued detention. Contrary to popular belief, the defendant does not have to be present for that proceeding. Many judges do it at home by reviewing fax reports from cops. If there is no such probable cause determination, then there are two potential remedies. One, if you confess during the unlawful portion of the detention, that confession can be suppressed. Two, if you file and serve a petition for writ of habeas corpus, you would be entitled to be released until a judge determines if there is cause for the continued detention. As that is essentially impossible, and most people don't confess during the unlawful portion, there is little meaningful remedy.

Cyber_andyy
Rating
In the UK, they can either charge you or let you out on bail, no judge needed. They can also extend that time for further questioning, or if your a suspected terrorist, have days to work in.

didirambo65
how long does a person have manditory to see a judge or be released because of time frame. is it 24 hours 48 hours etc.

Helpme
I was arrested on July 3rd at 0400 hrs., which was a business day. 4th was a holiday, 5th was Saturday and the 6th was Sunday. 7th started the second business day. 8th was the third business day , which the 72 hr. arraignment law was due. 9th I was arraigned . Where my right violated ?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How good is a 91 on the US Border Patrol Exam?
I just got my results a couple days ago and scored a 91. I am just wanting to know if that is good enough to be offered an interview. I know they get a lot of applicants so I am worried that my ...

Legal questions?need answers?
my friend got killed on easter in they arressted the guy for her murder his court date is on the 22nd of this month wednesday. i was wondering can i go to the hearing.because i thought that was ...

Would cops take fingerprints at a home buglery?
If a family was on vacation and got robbed. Would the cops waste their time actually going throught the finger prints at the station.. Or do they just take them to make the home owners feel like ...

My boyfriend had a warrant out for his arrest in Maryland and an upcoming court date in dc.?
He didn't turn himself in and got arrested recently. He didnt want to turn himself in because he would miss his DC court date. I called the jail and an officer told me his bond. He had more than ...

Juvi? what is the chance?
Ok.
My friend, who is sixteen, got caught for stealing smokes at the place he works.
he was caught on tape.
he has stole them quite a lot, cause he is underage and can't buy them....

What kind of test is required to become a police dispatcher?
i applied for a dispatcher position in a local town. i received a ltter saying that my application was accepted and they want me to come in to take the test.

what is the content of this ...

If a cop pulls over someone else who is driving your vehicle for a moving violation who gets in trouble?
the person driving my vehicle did have have a NJ licesnse and I live in PA, will my insurance go up? The charge was that he did a rolling stop at a stop sign instead of fully ...

I am on probation for 2yrs w/ monthly drops how can i fool the test to think i am clean i smoke weed,and meth?
i occasionally do meth but i smoke weed almost every single day i have a drop for probation in less then 2 weeks and the last detox liquid stuff i used helped me pass everything except the meth can ...

Can i fight my california stop ticket?
rolling through a stop sign....

Accidental Phone Call And Threats Being Made Against My Life Should I Call The Police?
Last night this girl's boyfriend called me off her phone and was being really rude and I was left wondering why he even called me. So I checked my phone later that night and saw that my phone ...

Can a (non-incarcerated, not on probation/parole) convicted felon get on disability? Will they reject the app?
Will they reject your app if they see you've been convicted of a felony? Do they check as a rule to see if you have any convictions?...

Charged with possession of cocaine, DUI and not stopping at a Stop sign?
what is the charge for this? How much money to pay for fees? bond and whatever else? in the state of Georgia. Its his first....

Where do you report disturbing the peace?
Our neighbors are blaring music from their house and our three kids are trying to sleep. This has been going on for an hour now and it's almost midnight. I usually keep to myself about this kind ...

Trying to find someone?
Does anyone know a guy who works for the virginia beach police department with the last name langlie or langey. I not sure how to spell it and i think his first name starts with an s.Hes a white guy<...

How do i get a misdemeanor charge 1 theft taking off my record?
I got this charge over a year ago paid the fines and the year probation has already passed. Is there a way i can get this taken off my ...

Flying with a warrant...?
I think I might have a warrant for a speeding ticket in Texas. I am planning on flying to Dallas from Houston. Will they stop me from doing so at the airport if I do have a warrant?...

Legal Nightmare Need Advice?
I am currently on probation in Columbus Ohio for disorderly conduct. I have complete all requirements: Court Costs, Restitution, Parenting Class, etc... except for 1. My PO wants me to do a 40 WEEK ($...

Misdemeanor citation question?
I recieved a citation recently in Davidson County (Tennessee) for simple posession of marijuana. It's a long story of how this happened--it wasn't my weed and i didn't know i had it, ...

Why doesnt boston have any police?

Does probation work?????
expanded explanation if possible :)....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, November 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links