Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

What is the best thing to do if an intruder enters your apartment and you are in there?
Find answers to your legal question.

What is the best thing to do if an intruder enters your apartment and you are in there?

There is no back door to escape. There's the balcony door, but I am thinking, it wont be of much use because there wont be enough time to get to it to go out and jump out (I am sure to break a bone if I jump) even if I want to escape. I have a small 1-bdroom apt on the 2nd floor.

eimmahs
Rating
Remember noise is your best defense because you may not be able to get to where your gun is located. The problem with guns is people get killed with their own gun especially if you are not trained to use one. Go to home depot (or another hardware store) and get a device that a lot of noise when the pin is pulled. They make them for swimming pool gates and other things to alert adults when small children open the gate. Secure one end to the door and the other to the frame. This can be done with double sided tape. Intruders do not want much attention so when it goes off it will alert you and may deter them from entering. Also, keep a couple of air horns through out your home that can be purchased at a sporting goods store. They are small but make a very loud noise.
Finally keep your cell phone or a cordless phone within reach at all times.

ph_yo
call the police and grab the nearest thing you can use as a weapon, perferably a gun/taser/mace.

DavidNH
Rating
Get big loud dog, or a gun, or a large knife.

Christina H
Rating
Personally, I would just pull out my .44 cal and put a hole in the intruder the size of a melon. Problem solved.

robert m
Shoot them? Seriously, buy a gun and keep it in a safe place, loaded.

lethander_99
Baseball bat, kitchen knife... Be creative there are so many things that can be used to knock a knee out so you can get away if its a situation of him or you.. the obivious choice is self protection

Junto America
Kill the intruder. Buy a gun, learn how to use it. Practice frequently so that you have confidence when using it. Do not use a gun to threaten someone. Only point at someone when you plan to pull the trigger. Do not be a victim.

jurge06
Rating
shoot the sob

thegubmint
Rating
Shoot him. Two to the chest, one to the head.

SadBrownEyes
I've actually had this happen to me about 2 years ago. I lived in a bad neighborhood with another female roommate. At about midnight we heard someone break the back door and come in. We were scared but since we were each in our own room we just locked the doors to the rooms from the inside and called the police, then stayed on our cell phones with each other till the police came. We each had some sort of weapon in case they tried to open the doors to the rooms but they didn't. The only thing they found were some old Cd's.

steve h
Rating
Shoot the son of a gun.
If they're breaking in; they're there to really hurt you and that's a crime. Shooting them in self defense is not.

robbocop
Rating
This is why we have a Second Amendment right to bare arms. Use it.

Ron P
Rating
Shoot em

Repub to the end.
Rating
kill them.

JQ
The law varies in which state you live.

Here in Texas, we are required by law to 'retreat' and then fight back.

But if you are not into guns, you can buy a knife or a big honkin sword at your local mall, No man is crazy enough to charge you if you have a sword that can stick him with, especially if he has you backed into a hallway.

luciousgreeneyedlady
Rating
hide somewhere and pray to God he doesn't find you. If you have a gun you can always shoot him and get away with it.

Dirty D
The first order of business is get the police on the phone and try to barricade the area you're in. Contrary to what the movies portray thieves really don't bother trying to cut phone lines and even if they wanted to most have no idea where to look to begin with.

Plus in this age of cell phones, roam phones, etc, cutting a phone line doesn't do all that much. You just pick up the cell or internet phone. Along with many people owning more than one phone it would really be a wasted effort.

Also for your protection in the event of a fire and the main door way is locked you may want to consider having something like a roll up ladder to get out your window. I know in some of the communities I've lived in it's actually against zoning ordnances not to have a second way out in case of emergency. I'd get on your landlord about this.

Vanessa
An unarmed citizen is nothing more than a victim.

obelix
Rating
You ought to keep a loaded gun around and be willing to use it, but this depends on whether you have children in the house, and where you reside -- mere possession of a handgun in Washington, DC, turns YOU into the criminal. This is the place with the highest percentage of shooting deaths in the country, and every one of the weapons used, apart from those employed by the police, is illegal. This of course puts law-abiding citizens at an extreme disadvantage.

Rating
Try and call the police, if this is not possible arm yourself with anything you can use as a weapon, even a chair if necessary.

rea4154
Rating
In the state of texas it use to be you had to MAKE AN ATTEMPT to flee the house for your safety. Now texas has passed the law you DONT have to make AN ATTEMPT they enter your house, business or car and you feel scared for your life you can shoot the intruder without worrying about being charge attempted murder or murder

firstmammaw
Rating
call 911

Wild @ ♥
Rating
Why wait for that to happen? You should get a door security alarm for your apartment. It is a sesor that beeps or goes off it your door or window is opened at night. Also, have a lock placed on your bedroom door, so that if you hear the door beep you can get up and lock the door, to buy you some time to call 9-1-1.

SoulSearching
PRAY!!! and use anything and heel of a high heel shoe

chuck_junior
Rating
Buy a 12 gauge. The sound of a round being racked will have the burglar running back out the door leaving a trail of fecal matter behind him. If he doesn't run, shoot him. He's not there to steal. He's there to kill. There is an old adage that fits here. No self respecting burglar ever does 2 things. They don't carry a gun and they don't ever go into an occupied dwelling. If someone breaks in while you are home, the chances are that its a drug addict that will kill you for a dollar in your pocket. Treat them accordingly.

Rhode Island Red
Rating
Well here are a few options. First of all, if someone breaks in and is stealing your stuff, you have the legal right to use reasonable force, meaning any force needed to protect yourself, not belongings, this is the retreat clause. This has been upheld by the Supreme Court, stating life is more valuable than property. However if someone enters your home armed, you have the right to use deadly force, which means you have the right to be there, you act without fault and you act with the fear or apprehension of death or serious bodily injury. You are able to defend yourself, keep some sort of weapon, knives, gun, etc. Lastly, if you jump and break a bone, you are still out of harms way and don't feel bad if you don't want a huge gun for protection; saving your life is the most important thing.

dominant_dana
Always have a plan of safety, should anything of that nature should happen to you. Know your escape routes, know that you do have the power to lock yourself in your bedroom and have a phone in the bedroom while you are in there call 911 immediately. If you are unsure, you can always call the cops, not the emergency line. Yet your local police dept and get help from them for a plan of safety and practise it. Signing up for a self defence course would not hurt either, well the pocketbook it would hurt but that is about it. :)

Rutger
Rating
If you can get to a phone and get to to door that locks I would call 911. If you can't and you have neighbors I would start screaming at the top of your lungs. Fighting is a last resort and most people get killed by their own guns by intruders.

skip742
Rating
Jumping down one-story is not that dangerous. Just lower yourself with your arms first, as far as possible, then jump from there. Worst case scenario, you may sprain your ankle, but you won't be seriously hurt.

cuddles
Rating
yell

I Hate Minutesmen
Rating
I chop him up

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why are the police never around when you need them?
yet there always on hand to grab motorists for petty crimes. is this just a case of me being sceptical or have any of you guys got similar beliefs
Additional Details
i do believe we need ...

Is it really true that if you enter your ATM pin # number backwards, it will automatically contact the police?

I'm an illegal immigrant living on the streets and being pursued by the cops, how can I get them off my trail?
The family I was living with kicked me out because "all I ever did was lay on the couch". So now I'm on the run. Please help me!
Additional Details
I jump from library to ...

Why do white people never get in trouble wit the police?

Do people ever stop to think about how much sacrifice is made by our police officers?
have you ever just approached a police officer and said thank you?
Additional Details
wanda-i'm not saying there are not other people and family that shouldn't be appreciated ...

Do people believe in the re - establishment of capital punishment for murderers , paedphiles and terrorists?
Do you think the do gooders who have too much say in this country are fifth columnists and deserve to be classed the same as the above....

If you seen a cop chasing someone, would you?
Laugh if he tripped on something in front of you?...

Is it illegal to drive a car without wearing shoes?
My husband says it is. I've never heard of any such thing....

Im going to prison, Any advice?
Well, First of All I am 5'6 150 Ibs White boy... and Im going to Prison for at least 5 months max of a year...... not jail.... Prison... so basically im gonna die... but any advice?!
A...

Why don't the British police like black people?
why don't the British police like black people?
i saw my best friends brother who is black get beaten up and sworne at racially by the police just last month and other people saw and heard ...

My view is that the police are less than interested in most everyday crime. Do you share this opinion.?
You read everyday how the police will arrest a Grannie for defending herself against a mugger yet get burgled and they could not care less except for sending you a letter on how to get counselling. O...

Why do police officers break the law they swore to uphold ?
What makes them do it ?...

Not allowed to drink out of a pint glass?
my boyfriend won't let me drink a pint of lager he says i can have two halves, but not a pint, unless the pubs quiet, cos he says i'll look like a "chav" . should i put up with ...

I have been charged with assult i am in breach of a six month prison sentence for the same crime does this mea
the court will automatically activate the suspended ...

Have you ever been in a situation where violence was the only answer?
What did you do? Personally if someone stole my car, TV or PS3 I would introduce them to steel pole justice which has worked as a good deterrent for years. What would you use?...

A 16 yr old girl got a ticket for speeding 30 MPH over the limit. Her friends are swearing it's a felony.
I told her I think that if she committed a felony they'd arrest her on the spot. Her court date is March 22 and she's a nervous wreck. I think she may lose her license since she also had ...

If I set up an anti-paedophile vigilante group in the UK......?
.....and was arrested for assaulting one of them,would the Police let me off?Do you think the Police and public would support me?...

If I'm just walking down a street, can a Police Office grab me and search me for no reason?
Just walking down a street minding my own buisness, not doing anything illegal and got grabbed by a cop who forcefully pressed me against the wall and searched me and then let me go....

If i fail a urine drug test for a job i'm applying for because of marijuana, can it get me in trouble?
i am scared to go take the drug test because i don't wanna get into police trouble. will they jus tell me "sorry you failed" or will they be like "we have to report you to the ...

Why does USA legalize guns?
i mean USA is the only country in the world that legalize guns. i think that is very ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links