Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

What will happen if I don't show up to court?
Find answers to your legal question.

What will happen if I don't show up to court?

A few months ago I got a ticket for my German Shepherd walking around on my front yard. The ticket says he was "running at large". I haven't had time to go to court for it, and what I'm wondering if I get pulled over by the police for some reason, can they arrest me for not going to court? I haven't gotten a letter yet from the court for not showing up

captain2man
Rating
the Courts are probably backed up - but you probably WILL be hearing from them.

If there's a summons out there for you, technically, they could search you out and I believe arrest you for failure to obey a summons.

I would just go & take care of it & be done with it.....that's your best move.

setter505
if the judge issues a bench warrant for not appearing they can and will arrest and hold you take care of it its not worth worrying about.

Andrew
Yes. They can issue a bench warrant for your arrest. Another option would be for them to enter an ex parte judgment and proceed to garnish your wages to pay the fine.

Proud to be an AMERICAN
Yes. In fact, a warrant may have been issued for your arrest already.

Maybe all you can do is contact the court and straighten it out.

Roadrunner58-79
Rating
There is probably a bench warrant for your arrest for failure to appear and don't worry, they will get a hold of you.

law138
Rating
If you continue to not show the court will issue a warrant for ur arrest (for failure to appear). so the answer is, yes.

jbtascam
Rating
It depends on the state and local laws - which I don't know, because I don't know who issued the ticket.

In Ohio, failure to pay a parking ticket on time results in a doubling of the fine and issuance of a "Bench Warrant," meaning that they won't come looking for you, but if they pull you over for something else, they'll take you into custody as a "scofflaw."

Call your local county clerk to get clarification for your municipality. (Do it from a payphone, or disposable cell, so that you don't give your location away! You never know...they may be looking for you....watch out! Who's that behind you????)

doodlz
you can go online to your local clerk of courts office and look it up and see what happened to the case. Check to see if their is a warrant if their is then you can pay what you need to pay. usually they issue a warrant if you don't show upwhen you do go to pay then you will usually have to pay the fine plus late fees and penalty fees plus court cost.

Pia
Rating
Ya, they may.

It is always best to show up in court and dispute the ticket. Often, just for showing up, the matters are dropped

Darryl L
Rating
If you had a court date, and you did not show up, you could possibly be in contempt of court. A quick call to the clerk of court's office, and you can find out, as well as make arrangements to pay the fine.

Betty Boop
Rating
They can and will issue a bench warrant for your arrest! Then the fine is doubled and you may have to pay restitution and/or court costs....

East Texan
the Texas cops put a warrant on you if you dont show up. so yea i think you will go to jail.

12hrdaze
Theres a warrant out for your arrest now...
A letter? Why would they send you a letter? They told you when and where, if you didnt show up it clearly tells them your position....

Whoops!

If the courts want, they can issue you a warrent for your arrest, for contempt of court.

vwarnsley_05
Rating
If you choose not to show up in court to fight those charges, you will be considered guilty by your absence. Unless LA has established prison time as the consequence for having a dog off its leash you will just be fined.

flip4449
Rating
Your in for a bigger fine than you would have had. They take there time, but they'll get ya.

Sunflower
Rating
A warrant has been issued and all it takes is someone who is being funny or someone who does not like you to call the police and tell them that there is a warrant out for you and that you are at home or work and they will come out to get you. You will have to leave with the clothes on your back even if they are pajamas.

Take care of your business.

N3WJL
What will happen is if you don't show the judge will issue a bench warrent for your arrest. In most towns if the cops stop you and you have a bench warrent they will take you in. In my town the cops go out a few times a year to arrest outstanding bench warrents. You'd better go if you don't want to end up in jail.

n3

3D Farms
Aknock on your door

BROWNLYN
my license was suspended for not showing up to court, but that was for traffic issues

stephaniemariewalksonwater
Rating
Yes!
This happened to me four years ago in CT.
My dog wasnt on a leash and I forgot to mail the 35 bucks in and was moving and never got the court notices.

Chris J
The judge will put a warrant out for you.

kwhic
Rating
I suggest you call the THE CLERK OF COURTS OFFICE. Find out how to take care of this matter before it dominoes on you. TAKE CARE OF THE MATTER!

Meagan
Rating
You will probably get a higher fine. If you go to court, it may be reduced. I think it all depends on the policy of your state on these matters so it is hard to say what will happen. I don't think there will be any arresting involved.

Tom O
they might take you in for that if they pulled you over, usually they would put out a warrant for someone who misses court, but that's only if the crime is serious, i'm not sure how serious this dog thing is.

anyway...the most you could get is a fine, but if they haven't tried to get a hold of you it must not be that important. i would call as soon as possible to find out.

me1c01ciz
Rating
Nothing going to happen. They just going to your house and kick your ***. That's all.

Mindy
Dog the bounty hunter will come after you!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Are we doing the right thing? A law enforcement perspective would be appreciated.?
My step-son ( who will turn 18 in a few months) has been in jail ( adult not juvenile) for 25 days now. He was arrested after his mother pressed charges against him for stealing money from her and ...

Do barcodes on alcohol bottles keep records of who purchased it?
if you buy alcohol and give it to a minor and that minor is later caught, can authorities know who purchased the bottle originally buy scanning the barcode? this is just to settle a bet with a ...

Can I Prosecute?
In a pub last week, one lad attacked another and elbowed me in the process, giving me a black eye. The police took statements and the lad was to be charged with assaulting the other lad. However, ...

How do drugs get into prisons and what can be done to stop this?

If an individual placed nails under the tyres of a parked car,with what could they be charged?

Why do so many people try to fight speeding tickets?
When they are 100% guilty. Like they try to fight the ticket and get off on a technicality, For example, thinking they can fight the ticket because the police officer wrote the wrong date, or time, ...

Does anyone think the Portuguese Police are trying?
to frame the Mc Canns for the murder of wee Maddie....

What is a citizen's arrest?

What crimes deserve corporal punishment?

The police confiscated kegs and my tap from a party. Can I retrieve these items from the police station?

Should UK police carry firearms?
Really I think they should and be given powers to use them on judgement. When a copper wants to help you against 15+ chav punks beating and stabbing you. He needs a firearm not just a metal stick. S...

What happens if i get stop by the cops?
hello

i own and drive a 1990 Dodge Omni and today i was driveing and the mulffer fell off the car so i stoped and picked it up i called the mulffer shop and they told me they can't ...

What's realistically the best way to make a complaint about a policeman in the UK?
I have a problem with a county police force in the South-East.Where exactly should I do?Who is the best place to go for advice/help?...

Should the use of semi-automatic army style guns be restricted and outlawed?
Should the big ak-47's etc be outlawed among citizens who do not work under the law?...

The police broke the door down and arrested a friend. Can his landlord insist he pays for it to be repaired?
My friend was innocent and no charges were brought, but his landlord still wants him to pay for it. Are they really within their rights to ask him to do so?
Additional Details
My friends ...

Do traffic police have to wear there hats?? especially when pulling someone over..?
i was pulled over recently for a minor traffic offence and have to go to court, i was told that seen as the officer was by himself and not wearing a hat i could get it chucked out of court, was just ...

Why Do The Prisoners Have To Sit So Long On Death Row?
While i'm not defending the horrendous acts they are accused of committing, I was wondering why it takes so long to execute death row inmates? I am not saying they should be killed off ...

How many of you carry some type of protection with you?
Whether it be a pocket-knife, pepper spray or even a gun in your car or on you...how many people carry weapons for personal protection on a daily basis? I carry a knife on me all the time, not so ...

How much time in jail, if any?
i know i already asked this, but i need more answers. my friend was caught scratching up a car, owned by a car dealership. just scratching it around like a key & drawing on it (i know its very ...

Going to bed the other night,I noticed people in my shed stealing things...I phoned the plod,but was told....?
...no one was in the area to help. They said they would send someone over as soon as possible.

I hung up. A minute later I rang again. 'Hello,', I said, 'I called you a ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, December 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links