Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

When can a police officer give you a warning and when can't he?
Find answers to your legal question.

When can a police officer give you a warning and when can't he?

Like if he saw someone murder someone can he say "I'm gonna let you off with a warning, don't let me see you do it again". I'm just presenting this extreme because I've been in and seen situations where I'm shocked that the warning was all that was issued. Do police have any guidelines for giving warnings or is it solely at their discretion? And also if you are in law enforcement, if giving a warning IS based on your discretion, what kind of factors determine your decision to issue a ticket or not?
Additional Details
Bruce: Thank you, that makes sense that any crime with a victim there has to be an arrest. At what point do you hold the officer responsible for issuing a warning though? i.e. a person DWI is issued a warning and finishes the night by running someone over. And is it recorded in some kind of system when someone is issued a warning, so that you guys can make sure we aren't abusing your kindness?
Pablo: In my experiences your right, polite and businesslike has worked. Except on one occasion where I had given him no trouble, no complaints, and etc. I think he thought I had been through the process one two many times and issued me a ticket with a smirk.
Silvercharm516: Wow that is interesting. Have you ever been in a situation where because of the zone or time period, the citation was issued grudgingly?

Bruce
For criminal offenses that are reported by the victim, they are obligated to take a report and ultimately the District Attorney makes the charging decision. For crimes committed in their presence without a victim, such as a drug offense, there is a little more discretion.

For traffic and other minor offenses, officers are given much more discretion, so different officers have different tolerances.

As a Field Training Officer, I teach the new guys to pay attention to the rest of the department so we are somewhat consistent with our discretion. I tell them to ask themselves if the majority of officers would make an arrest. If the answer is yes, then they should too.

There are only two instances where an arrest is mandated by our department policy. When a person has a warrant, and a domestic violence call when there is evidence of a crime. However, I can assure you a warning for a serious crime such as murder would result in that officer being severely disciplined and most likely terminated.

silvercharm516
Rating
Pay attention to what Bruce wrote. He's sharp.

One possible situation to add to what he wrote...

There are times when our commanders create a "Zero Tolerance" zone or time period. During that time, we are told not to issue any warnings.

Kelle
Solely at the Officer's discretion , HOWEVER , the supervisor reviews an Officer's day and would definately question no charge for murder.

An officer always follows the law in giving tickets , etc.

Some situations though are judgment calls.

However, the attitude of the driver, the time of day, the experience he/she had with the previous person can all affect his decision. He is human.

THERE IS NO PRIZE FOR # OF TICKETS GIVEN.

Joe B
Police are losing their discretion more and more, you know what you call a human who can't make his/her own decision - a robot.

Almost everything a cop had discretion on in the past, now requires a mandatory arrest because that means guaranteed $$$.

Bruce, are you forgetting many states now have mandatory drug arrests? You find that dime bag and no longer have the discretion to dispose of it and give curb side adjustment. Rather you drag them through a system and to clear your name of this dime bag, it costs like 1500. Or you can accept the charges, be labeled a criminal, and have the stigma of being labeled a criminal your entire life. Clearly people are going to pay, by making these arrests mandatory you can't tell me it had nothing to do with money.

Pablo
Rating
It also has to do with the severity of the crime and the probability of a conviction in court. If a police officer witnesses a crime that is a felony, an arrest will be made. If the crime in that jurisdiction is one that requires that an officer makes an arrest (i.e. domestic violence), the arrest will be made. In other cases, it will depend a whole lot on the behavior of the subject. You get stopped by police for running a stop sign and you remain respectful and businesslike, the odds are in your favor that you will get a warning. If you try instead to give the officer a hard time, you will get cited.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Could anyone describe a few terms found on a federal case docket for me?
I searched online but couldn't find what these acronyms/terms meant:

MTD: (next to the defendant's name)
DOA:
F/A:
MPHD:
Booking #
USAttorneyCR AUSA...

would this be ok for a cop to do?
i saw the video where the cop was killed by the vietnam vet and if you havn't seen it it goes like this
the cop pulled the car over the guy got out walked towards the cop walked back to his ...

Police Harrassment/ Police Corruption?
I am A Private Investigator well established in California …. 3 years ago I was hired by the big companies BMW, Benz, Us Bank, to find out what was happening to some 700 cars that just would vanish....

Is it illegal for Indians to escape their reservations?
I saw someone I'm almost positive was a native-american making a purchase at a convenience store. I didn't call the cops because I wasn't 100% sure he was an indian and didnt know if ...

If I don't have a concealed-carry permit is it legal to transport a handgun in my car trunk in North Carolina?
I am asking, to know how to properly transport the weapon to another private home. Having it in a lock box in a locked trunk indicates I am only tranpsporting it with no intent to use it should I ...

Is this suppose to happen at a DUI checkpoint?
http://www.youtube.com/w Details
Helpme- Did you actually watch the video moron? Actually the news is more biased against the dead man. Actually implying ...

Just got a speeding ticket...have questions!!!?
I got pulled over for speeding 60 at a 35 mph area. The cop who pulled me over was sitting on a left turning lane into a community. The lane she was sitting on had no lights or stop sign. She was ...

My boyfriend is going to juvy, please help me :'(?
Basically my boyfriend got caught holding drugs, he doesn't take drugs. He just smokes and drinks, he then skipped bail.
Im not going to leave him, I love him.
His 15, his in ...

Would you call the police?
If you noticed that your neighbour was growing 3 cannabis plants. The neighbour is pleasant enough but would not consider him a close friend and talks nicely and is polite and non threatening. The ...

Could I make a petition to get a record deal?
Could I make a petition to get a record deal? If so how many signatures do I need? And If I get the amount of signatures do I bring it to the government or send it 2 a record deal company? Please ...

Why is this allowed to be sold to the general public?
http://www.fastcompany.c...

Why? the courts will give consecutevly more than one life sentence?
when everybody in this planet(at least in mine...planet earth)has only one life to live....

website for full free background checks?
does anyone know of any websites where I can do full free background checks on people???...

My friend and I were accused of shoplifting a few years ago?
we did not take anything at all and didn't even go down the isle where we supposedly took something from. The cops met us outside as we were leaving and took us back inside. They searched our ...

Minor arrested for theft in Pennsylvania?
Well first of all I really would appreciate if you don't say that I'm dumb or something because trust me I have told this to myself a thousand times by now. I made a HUGE mistake. I can'...

Hand grip strength test?
Today for the police physical test, i got 62kg on my left which is very very weak compared to my right. on my right my hands were very sweaty and it slipped but i got 48kg. If it didn't slip ...

FBI hostage rescue team age?
I'm 17, right now. I don't see how anyone in the hostage rescue team can possibly be less then 29 years old. To be in the hostage rescue team first you need to get a bachelors degree which ...

Can I become a policeman if?
When I was 14 years old, I went into my friends house when no one was home and took a video game. Can I still become a police man?...

trinidad supplimental police
i am a estate police in trinidad & tobago Do i if i have the authority to prefer traffic charges on someone breaching the traffic laws one it in connection with my employer business although it is on ...

seeking advice
My complaint is not being attended by Police, please ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, November 27, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links