Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

When someone dies in a car accident, if they have no family what do the cops do with the $ in their wallet?
Find answers to your legal question.

When someone dies in a car accident, if they have no family what do the cops do with the $ in their wallet?

Tom M
All personal Property would be vouchered at the local Police property room. If the property is not claimed Money would go to the State and property would be auctioned or destroyed.

Mom
Rating
We would all hope that they would give it to the homeless shelters or such but it probably just goes to the state.

curiously strong
usually it will be donated to a charity specified by the state or go into the state coffers.

spag
Rating
I don't go through someones wallet unless I need to id them. Once I find their ID, the wallet usually goes back in the victims pocket.

mikey
Rating
If the wallet contains cash and is found by Law Enforcement it will be impounded. Huge liability if they don't as most people have a wallet on them in a car to hold their license.

a.clone
Take the cash stash the wallet

In reality, there is a very good chance it will be pocketed by someone on the scene.

Billy M
Rating
WHAT MONEY ???????????

mizgilbert
it doesn't have to be a car accident; it can be any sudden health or life problem. in my extended family, not a single victim arrived at hospital or morgue with one red cent left to them.

handyman
My dad and step mom died from a car accident. His toolbox never did get recovered from the car, it was taken by they think the wrecker driver but no proof. His wallet turned up missing until the police put out the word they were checking everyone who had contact with the accident and the victims, the wallet and the money showed up in a couple of days at my sisters house with no note or explanation.
They normally will turn it into the funeral home who will turn it over to the state and the courts will decide what the money is used for or where it goes, in the event there is no will or any legal documents to rule on.

eonetiller
Rating
Leave it there...

YaYa
Rating
They don't keep it if thats what you want to know. The wallet goes where the body goes. Untill a rightful owner comes up.

Dawn M G
Been their in '90' pig co acting partners steal and plan for future thefts. LUVNHUGZ1@yahoo.com

Curious
Rating
Sadly i have witnessed an event like this in hich the driver was unconcious and the police and ambulance people raidd the car like the somalians in Black Hawk Down

jim ex marine offi,
when no one is looking put the money in their pockets to hell with any living relatives if thet do have some.same way with drug deals they take the drugs and money and often times tell the dealer to get lost he will be happy to oblige, they can always sell the drugs to some one they know who won't rat them off.

MrChili
Rating
Everyone knows they buy donuts.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Child support?
can a mother file for child support AFTER the child is grown? what are her rights? what are the rights of the father? what if there was never any contact between the child and the father?

Police had no search warrant! Can I win this case with my lawyer?
The Police knocked on my door at 2 am. I looked through the peep hole but saw nobody! When I opened the door they barged in and told my cousin and I to sit on the living room floor! They began asking ...

Where do I go to report someone to the FBI for?
Where do I go to report someone to the FBI for burning DVD's? I Meant, is there a site, or a 1800 number I can go to? I need information on this.

T...

Are stun guns illegal in the uk?

Does anyone know any of those weird laws?
I remember years ago, in school, my teacher told us a bunch of really wierd laws around the world? anyone know any- or know where to find any??...

If an officer writes incorrect data on a traffic ticket, is it dismissed when I contest it?
I have a citation that I am contesting by written declaration. The officer wrote on the ticket that I have a 1985 vehicle. In point of fact, it's a 1995 vehicle. I'm sure this will be ...

What is the one thing you hate most about police officers?

Do you believe that America is now a police state. Do you feel scared when you see the police or comforted.?
Used to be that one would associate police state and police brutality with a south american country' or so shown on US. TV. Take a look at home, are American police becoming more brutal and ...

Can everything be used as a weapon?
My friend and I were hanging out and she just randomly brought it up.Please answer!...

Michael Barrymore?
I am fully aware he is only being questioned under caution, my question was if he`s officially charged and then has to go to court will he have a "nervous breakdown"?...

Can a cop pull another cop over for speeding?

I have recenlty been arrested for public intoxication,,,,?
i was a passenger in a vehichle,and was ordered out of the vehichle ,handcuffed and taken to the back of the squad car.then the officer asked me how much i had to drink.iv'e already talked to an ...

Can my husband have me arrested for fraud?
Ok, here's the situation...
My husband and I have been having problems for quite sometime and he is the sole bread winner. I told him that I will not leave with "nothing" as I ...

How do you get rid of drug dealers next door?
I am getting tired of them. They don't even live next door; their girlfriends do. They come over about every other day in their nice cars that they were able to afford with drug money. They have ...

Do I definatly need good eyesight in order to join the uk police force?
I have wanted to join the police in the uk for some time now. I have everything required to join, however my vision is not perfect. I wear contact lenses pritty much all the time. I was getting an ...

How long do you have to wait to report someone missing?
I haven't heard from my husband in 12 hours. He was going fishing early this morning. The last time he called me they were having some problem with the boat. He has not called since. He is ...

How come i've driven like a twot for 10 years and never had an accident or even been done for speeding ?

Additional Details
rikki: i think you could be right!...

What would happen if there were no laws...?

How do you become a police officer?
I'm very interested to know how to get into this line of work. I'm thinking about first applying for the MVP to give me an idea of what it might involve, but I don't know where to go ...

In the US, specifically California, do you need to carry your Driver's License?
I heard if IF you get pulled over, the officer can just look up the ID and DL# for you....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, December 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links