Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

When someone has a warrant out for their arrest....?
Find answers to your legal question.

When someone has a warrant out for their arrest....?

Why don't the cops just go to their house and arrest them as soon as the warrant is issued? I always hear about people being pulled over for something or other...and then the cops arrest them because they have other outstanding warrants...some of them months, even years old. Just curious...

Liberty or Death
Rating
Sometimes they do, but most agencies don't have time to hunt down every single wanted person (especially since most warrants are for very minor offenses). Also, the address on the warrant is commonly not current or the person lives in a completely different jurisdiction than where the warrant was issued. In these cases, all the police can do is keep the warrant on file and wait until the person encounters the police at some point and they can then be served. This is very common in tourist areas or college towns where many people come and go or just stay in the jurisdiction for a temporary period of time. When I worked in Florida, the tourists and spring break crowd would come down, get a ticket or notice to appear, go back home at the end of the week and then a failure to appear warrant is issued. I also arrested a fellow who had gotten a warrant for passing a worthless check, but had moved to another state without ever knowing about the warrant. He moved back almost 20 years later and I stopped him for speeding. The warrant was still active and I had to arrest the guy.

stryker
Rating
Several reasons. People give bad addresses, people move, people may be at the house and refuse to answer the door because they know they have a warrant. many more. Also because there are TONS of warrants from traffic fines to agg assaults going out every single day and not nearly enough cops, OR ROOM IN JAIL to go out and serve them. Those are a few reasons.

Nellxd9
Rating
Once a warrant is issued the cops go to the last known address but if they don't have reasonable doubt that the individual is in the residence, they can't enter with out a search warrant as well. That and some warrants are bench warrants, meaning they will only be arrested if pulled over, arrested for something else, or if they are questioned in the same town, city or village as the bench warrant was issued. Hope that helps.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What constitute a expired meter and be legally ticketed in Chicago?
I was eating out one day in Chicago and parked on the street. I bought a meter ticket thing from the machine on the street and displayed it properly by my windshield. The meter ticket was timed to ...

Is shoplifting bad? since our economy is really bad!!?
is it for good or bad people only?...

IM 15 GOT CAUGHT BREAKING IN VEHICLES WHAT WILL HAPPEN?
IM 15 AND GOT CAUGHT BREAKING IN VEHICLES WITH THREE OTHER PEOPLE BUT ONE PERSON WAS 17 BUT I WAS JUST THERE WITH THE BOYS AND WE WENT TO DETENTION FOR A MONTH BUT NOW WE ON HOUSE ARREST NOW WHAT YOU ...

HELP..PLEASE!?!?!?! ANYONE?
Are there any jobs where you have a firearm and you don't have to go to boot camp?...

How soon can a AMBER ALERT go out after a child has been missing or been reported as a runaway?
My sister was seen by school officials walking off of school property at 9am. NO ONE MADE ANY ATTEMPT TO STOP HER. She is with someone else that also attends that school (another female) but she is 18...

Need advice from ex/serving police regarding application :)?
Im just about to apply to the police and was hopeing there was some people who have served... or are in the police who can tell me the "dos" and "dont's" on my application ...

How can this be legal? (about Identity theft)?
Ok so someone stole my identity almost 2 years ago. I put a fraud alert on my credit which requires that I get a phone call to authorize any credit inquiries and have not had any issues since ...

Shoplifting Misdemeanor Question?
I got caught shoplifting and while getting my information, they asked for my work phone number. Will they/can they call my employer and tell them about my misdemeanor?...

Buying a stolen gun from someone?
one of my friends bought a stolen hand gun from some guy, i was wondering how much trouble he were to get in if he were to be walking around at night at get pulled over and the cops figure out the ...

How much is a gridlock ticket in CA?
I just got this ticket today and im just wondering how much money should I expect to pay. I got the ticket in Santa Monica, Ca

Also, will it affect my insurance in a way?...

Question about losing all license points from speeding tickets - Australia...?
Question for Aussies who know the law.
Okay, long story. I only have two points left on my license because of four speeding tickets I've had in the last few years. Yesterday, in the mail, I ...

Unknowingly took drug in singapore?
hi, i have a friend that went drink with a group of friend, after the drinking session, she realized that her friend put drug in her drinks. in a road block her friend got caught and my friend got ...

Are there any programs for law enforcement, border patrol, etc. that let you join at higher rank w/ a degree?
I'm a junior in college and I have become very interested in law enforcement and border patrol. Are there any programs that allow you to enter these fields, as an actual officer, at a higher ...

What's going to Happen?
So, I was caught shoplifting less than 10 dollars worth of makeup this evening from my local wal-mart. I've already realized how stupid it was of me, and the reasons for why I did it were not ...

What can I do to stay in my MOS as an officer?
I am in the Intelligence Branch and I entered as an enlisted. I plan on becoming an officer once I get promoted to E-5. What can I do to stay in the Intel branch once I get promoted?...

Are bikie gangs criminal organizations?
In Australia, under tough legislation bikies from banned bikie gangs will get 5 years jail for associating with each other and bikie gangs will be declared criminal organizations.

http://...

Police officers, when it comes to your discretion?
would you pull over and ticket someone who was in the right hand lane, makin a right turn but waited until the red light turned green, while holdin up the line behind him? whats your call.............

Was ron dellems asked not to speak at the police memoriol?

Additional Details
on friday 27 09...

What did T.I do to get in jail?
ya....

Deadly force in car jacking?
If someone carjacks me at gunpoint can i use deadly force if i think i or my family is in danger of being harmed? I have a conceled carrt permit in the state of Mo....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, November 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links