Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

When the police are raiding a rented property, are the police required to notify the landlord? (USA)?
Find answers to your legal question.

When the police are raiding a rented property, are the police required to notify the landlord? (USA)?

In the state of Illinois or otherwise.

honey
Rating
No. Raiding any kind of property is a court order (signed by judge); and court orders override all other requirements, if any.

A.R.G.O.S.
As a Police K-9 Officer in Illinois I can tell you there is no requirement for agencies to contact the owner of the property during a " Lawful " raid.

Such a notification may endanger Law enforcement Officers safety as well as other tenants in the building. The preservation of evidence is also a priority.

Jessica S
No. The police don't make advance announcements about raids.

dude0795
Rating
Nope.

midnightdealer
Rating
Check findlaw.com for your state's law. I doubt they have to notify though.

wrightbrigade
No, all they must have to 'raid' a property is a search warrant signed by a judge. They MUST have a warrant.

Sparkles
Rating
This is not a state ordinance, this is a city ordinance. Ask someone at your city police department to explain the raiding proceedures to you. Police have a warrant to search, and they have justifiable cause to come and raid the premises they will do so.

Hootiesplace
Rating
NO. They do not.

nana4dakids
As far as I know they do not need to notify the landlord or anyone else when they plan to raid a property. They have no idea what the connection from the landlord to the renter is, they could just be tenants or a relative so they do not notify anyone if they are going to raid any place.

hammer
Rating
in the state of California the police do not have to tell until after they have done it. then the landlord or owner is required to serve a notice to tenants to vacate the property. otherwise the owner will receive an infraction.

X M
Rating
They either need a warrant (they wouldn't have to notify anyone) or they would need to permission of the landlord.

lonetraveler
Rating
Not in Washington state,

summerdaze
Rating
not if it is just cause or they have a warrant

JAWBONE!!!!
No. If your drug-dealing tenant, in the 3A who also happens to be the only person who pays rent on time and ADDS SPECIAL PERKS is about to be raided, I am sure that you are going to inform him. So me, being the golden-detective is definitely not going to inform you! I will just get my search warrant and prepare for my raise!!!

macjd527
Rating
they do whatever they want they regardless if you want something like that to come up in court expect to be about 10-20 gs out cause that the type of lawyer you gonna need

Norweiginwood420
Rating
nope not at all they are not looking 4 him

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I would like to know how many people are in favor of the death penalty for child abusers and molestors?

Additional Details
please encourage others to answer this question, I am very curious why so many people feel this way and the laws are not being changed....

Why do the police in england have no powers??

Police officer as a neighbor?
i have a police officer as a neighboor and my mom always puts a yardsale he has come and warned us to not put any more yardsales can i get into trouble am not the only one who puts yardsale most of ...

Will the police prosecute me if my dogs attack a neighbor who is stealing vegetables from my garden?
I have small vegetable garden in my backyard. I also have two very territorial dogs which are kept outside during the day (weather permiting) and brought in at night. My neighbor choose this time ...

Why Do Most cops Think They Are Equal To Jesus Christ In Every Possible Way???? They Are Just demons, Period?
A bit of information for all the crooked uneducated cops & their families/associates who bash and accuse me of being recently in trouble with the law; Im 27, happily married, never been arrested, ...

If I have a bench warrant in PA can they come to Illinois and arrest me? or can I start over here with a new j
I am on probation in PA I am having lifeproblems that don't involve the law but needed to be with family. I left PA and went to Illinois to be with family hoping to make a new start. My ...

Should the Police in the UK have the right to say they don't want to be armed?
Should the Police in the UK have the right to say they donít want to be armed?

In my view, NO. I think by refusing to be armed they are putting peoples lives in danger. The standard policy ...

When the POLICE are not Busy, Should we get them to TAXI us around????
rather than them sitting on a break @ Starbucks on 31 South x ~ 30 minutes (@ 2AM) with their car running, aren't we paying for that gas (@ $2.80/gallon), forget the Planet, TAXI us!!!...

Atheist do not believe in God but they quietly obey the Policemen and follow the laws made by Gods fearing men
Isn't strange ? Does it mean they are not afraid of God but afraid of going to jail if they go against policemen and the law maker. Which means their limit is very short and its just talking ...

If I have a warrant for my rest, how many cops will come serve it to me? I'm 6'5 and 325lbs?
Will they mail it or try to call me?...

Did you deserve the last ticket you got?
Be honest now. We all complain when we get stopped, but thinking about it......did you honestly deserve the last citation you got?...

What's the stupidest question ever asked here?
I know it's hard, there are so many......

In the next ten years to you expect crime rate to go up?
Expect to go up.........................
Down
or do not know
Additional Details
This is getting so scarey - only a few minutes on and we all think UP - perhaps our MPs in UK ...

Why do people ignore the police warnings to not drive when it's been snowing?
Seriously, you are not indispensible - I'm sure the office will live without you for the day.
Additional Details
italienne: don't know where you live, but here we can't be ...

I was dragged by my hair and thrown out of an open house by a scum realtor. Can I sue the realty company?
I saw a sign that said " OPEN HOUSE DRINKS AND SNACKS "

So I got my husband Argus, Friend Donna Jeane, Shirley, Anna, Wilbur smith, Aggy and her 5 children, steve, Hank and his ...

Can stun gun knock people out?
Can Stun Gun knock people out?
If so, how much of votage do i need and how long would it take?
Thank ...

Are you satisfied or disappointed that Cho killed himself?
Some want answers, some justice, some revenge, some want to save money. What say you?...

SURVEY: If you're about to be put to death by lethal injection, what would your last meal be?

Why are people so concerned over the rights of criminals?
why are people so concerned over the rights of people that have murdered or raped, people are concerned about their humanity, when that person wasn't concerned regarding the rights of the victim....

How do i report a pot smoker?
this is important.
Additional Details
this woman snitched on me and got me kicked out of my house. so if you think im a snitch think of a 37 year old woman who got me a 15 year old girl ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links