Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

When the police stop you in your car and tell you to get out of the car?
Find answers to your legal question.

When the police stop you in your car and tell you to get out of the car?

,if you have not did anything wrong then you dont ave to go out your car

Bear
In the UK you are under no obligation to get out of your car.

It would however be wise to do as requested, because if not the officer would possibly go over your car with a fine tooth comb, or would more likely prosecute you than give a warning if they did come accross some minor offence.

trooper3316
Rating
Yes, you are required to exit the vehicle if asked, as are passengers.

Chuckler
Rating
It is wise to comply old bean. If you are innocent then you shouldn't have any concerns

Bear
Rating
Yes, you have to get out of the car when asked to. Whether you feel you have done something wrong or not, the police officer has determined he/she has probable cause for a more investigative inquiry.

sweetie
i haven't done any thing wrong but if a police man tells me to get out of my car i get out of my car, what kind of role model would i be for my daughter if i was being awkward towards the police there only doing there job x

If you say so...
Rating
Well you really should you know cos you can get into more trouble for being uncooperative. I get stopped all the time coming home from work at night and generally I find if you are nice to them they are nice back.

azroadrunner05
Rating
Regardless of what you have or have not done you have to get out when asked by a police officer. If you don't get out when told to it would probably considered obstructing justice.

Edit: I am from Arkansas and for several years we had a "blue light rapist" here pretending to be an officer. We were told that if you feel like you are in an unsafe area you can drive to a "safe" area or the nearest police station before exiting the vehicle.

netjr
Even if you have not done something wrong if the police order you out of the car you have to comply; failure to do so is a crime in most states (certainly is in California).

Louis S
Rating
Wrong - probable cause can mean anything these days.

C H
Rating
I always thought if you where a lone female in the car and you are asked to get out of the car by a plain clothes police you can refuse on safety grounds and ask that the police officer allow you to drive to the nearest police station and they follow you because they could be somebody impersonating a police officer

back2skewl
Yes you do, regardless if you think you have done anything wrong. Your car could match the description of another involved in a Felony Crime, such as Murder, Robbery, Rape or some other Felony, Just do it, do what that ask and how that ask you to do it and you should have no problems

Marc X
Yes, in most states, it's a crime to refuse to follow the lawful order of a police officer. I say 'Lawful' because the cop is going to have to answer for his reason to order you out of the car. No, not to YOU at the time, although he can do so if he chooses. But certainly upon testimony in court, or to his superiors if a complaint is filed. In either case, if it's not justified, it's going to impact his service record, which accounts for promotions, raises, benefits, and even consideration in other reprimands.

No, I don't buy into the old argument, 'well, if you're innocent, you have nothing to worry about.' That's not the point. But I'll argue the violation in the proper venue, which is court, not out on the street

It is really not in your best interest to defy the commands of the police. They can make things very rough on you.

frankturk50
It would help greatly if you said which country or state you're talking about.

Ankleboots
with great difficulty i dont have one.

goonern014
Rating
if you are in the states you have the right if you have'nt done anything wrong to refuse , but as the police think they have the right to do anything you will probably be pulled out your car and tazed .

there have been laws past which go against the grain of what america stood for and the police have become ss oficers when there supposed to be there to protect and serve not harrass and order people around .

click on the link shows what the police in the states are really like http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/september2007/210907_b_brutality.htm

canadiandude
Rating
It depends on what they stopped you for. If its just a random pullover then unless they have reasonable grounds, then no you don't have to get out. If they do have reasonable grounds, then yes you do have to get out.

bubos
Rating
as far as i know they have to give you a reason first before telling you to get out of your car.a reason for pulling you over.:)

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is this illegal?
Is this illegal?
Lets say someone gets pull over and they leave the cd player playing and they are singing when the officer is standing right there. And that person tells the officer to wait so ...

My friend just received his driver's license, what advice would you give him?

What do you think about gun control?
I personally don't think that would ever fly!...

ARMMED POLICE if they want to play with guns shouldent they have to face the consiquenses?
excuses such as 'i was wearing ten layers of body armour and six pairs of gloves couldent feel the trigger bla bla bla. couldnt find an excuse but OH WAIT look what we found on this computor [...

Can a police officer make you take off your sun glasses?
During a traffic stop?...

If You Really Don't Want To Bother With Jury Duty Do You Have The Option Of Paying The Fine?
I was just curious, I got a note requesting my jury duty service. The letter says that failure to report would result in a $1,000.00 fine and/or imprisonment.

Do you have the choice to pay ...

What is it called when officers keep a bullet in the chamber of their gun?

What is everyones feelings about the Jena 6?
Thousands rally in La. to support Jena 6 By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer
25 minutes ago

JENA, La. - Thousands of chanting demonstrators filled the streets of ...

Can i report something i've lost as stolen to the police?

Ten Points to the first correct answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
What's a victimless crime? Give an example....

Should guns be allowed in homes?
Think about it, a lot of people have guns in their homes. My question is if you think that you and your neighbors should be allowed to have guns in your homes....

Cops only, what's the minimum you would accept as a bribe?
A) D.U.I.
B) speeding ticket
C) possesion of narcoducts (without intent)
D) Open intoxicants
C) Driving on a suspended
Additional Details
Come on KC V, everyone'...

Is this police harrassment? I was asked to stand with my legs spread and my hands on the roof of a police car?
for over 15 minutes until a female police officer could arrive and searh me...I was not allow to move at all...it was a hot day and people were driving by looking at me...I felt like a fool. Finally ...

Going to jail over a speeding ticket!?
A very close friend of mine was going 81 mph in a 45 zone.
He was told the maximum sentence included 6-12 months in prison! The officer really has a thing against him, so what is the Most they ...

Why did the police take my gun away when I was arrested for DUI?
I was only holding on to it while I was steering with one hand. Its my god given right to own a gun and the police have to right to take it away from me....

What do black people like guns and shooting people so much?
Every day I read about a murder in Toronto, its some black dude, black people are scary, its the hip hop drug culture to blame
Additional Details
I'm not racist, of all the crimes ...

Why do the police in my area only pull over minorities?
I live in central NJ (a somewhat rural - read: caucasian area) and see minorities pulled over much more frequently than white people.

Do police target minorities in predominently white ...

I owe the local authority in england council tax and they tell me that i will be taken to court.?
can anyone tell me if this is a civil court or a criminal court or does it depend on how much i owe....

Can you believe it? I was shocked.?
I was reading yahoo news this morning and did you hear about the guy who dressed up as a security guard and simply walk into the safe and took all the cash and walks out. later the armored truck ...

I just receive a threatening phone call......?
Someone just call my cell phone with a block number saying they gonna blow my head off. What should I do? Will the police be able to find this person?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, October 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links