Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Who can give consent to search a vehicle?
Find answers to your legal question.

Who can give consent to search a vehicle?

the owner of a vehicle gave my friend permission to drive his car, he was pulled over and the cop said he smelled marijuana, even though that was not even possible because there had been no marijuana smoked in the vehicle before, and there's no way he could have smelled it if it was in the passengers pocket, when the cop was at the drivers side window when he supposedly smelled marijuana. the officer asked the driver if he could search the vehicle for marijuana, the driver gave consent for the police to search the vehicle. marijuana and paraphernalia was found. so what i'm asking is who has to give consent, the actual owner of the vehicle, or just the driver? was this an improper search and seizure since the driver, not the actual owner of the vehicle gave consent?
also the police frisked the passenger, without the passengers consent, and searched through his wallet and found a marijuana roach in one of the pockets in the wallet. do the police have the right to search through the passengers wallet?
Additional Details
the officer inserted his hands into the pocket of the passenger and pulled out everything in his pockets and searched through it all, including the wallet

Josh
Rating
If a cop "smells" marijuana, he already has authority to search the car based on probable cause, it's just easier to ask for permission. The cop has then legally detained the vehicle and everyone inside it, and for officer safety purposes may conduct a pat for weapons on everyone in the vehicle. If subsequent illegal narcotics are found through this pat, it is legal as long as he did not insert his hands into the pockets, unless given permission from the subject. Hope that helps.

Raven
Rating
The driver can give permission to search the car. The consent was pretty much secondary, from your story, because the officer smelled marijuana anyway...whether or not you think he could is irrelevant.

Frisking the passenger is one thing - it can be done without permission, when the officer is checking for weapons that may pose a threat to his safety. Searching the passenger's wallet is another. Whether or not that was correct depends on a more detailed sequence of events, which you don't have here - so I can't say if that was proper or not.

Hallwoman
The driver can give consent no matter if he owns the vehicle or not. If he does not give consent, the police can then search the vehicle if they see anything out in plain sight or if they have reason to believe the driver or any passenger is under the influence. I say just give them consent and plead out later...if you are not smart enough to borrow a clean car and you get into trouble...it's your own fault.

Live Free or Die
First of all you can smell marijuana if it wasn't smoked in the car. If you had a bag of it in a house and didn't smoke it I can find it by smelling it and I'm not a drug smelling dog.

Secondly the driver can give permission not the owner unless the owner is there. The driver gave consent so the party is over on the illegal search and seizure case,but had consent not been given then the police would have had to wait at the scene for a judge to send out a search warrant and the same thing would have happened.

By letting the cops search and being honest and respectful once in a while you might get off with a warning if you have a clean wrap sheet and are not carrying a lot of it.

Hammy
The driver can give consent to search the vehicle.

If the officer said he smelled pot, he doesn't need anything further. He has probable cause to search the vehicle. Didn't even need to get consent from the driver. Since he found some the argument that he couldn't have smelled it from where he was relative to where the pot was will not stand up in court.

Brandon N
Rating
Once you give consent they can search the vehicle or if they have probable cause. They can search a person without reason.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Consequence for speeding ticket and driving without 6 months up?
I received a speeding ticket for going 30 miles over the speed given and got pulled over with a friend in the car without my 6 months up. The officer gave me a ticket for speeding and driving without ...

How do you rob a bank without getting caught?

Can you attack some one if they are threatening you?
if some one threatens to throw a rock at me can i attack them with out getting in trouble with the law?
Additional Details
i didnt do anything and yeah they have the rock in their hands.....

Would i be involved and arrested?
My best friend and another girl have been having these issues.
and welll the cops have now been involved.
The cops said that if my friend and the other girl have any criminal activity he ...

What is a CHIN's petition for the state of South Dakota?
I have a 12 year old son that they are going to put on a CHIN's petition on the 28th of this month, so i was wondering what it was....

Should bullying be a felony charge?
it causes suicides and school shootings so I think it needs to be taken alot more serious, and the penalties should be very bad, possibly life destroying to make them think very hard before taunting ...

Automatic camera & traffic police directing traffic.Will I get ticket when camera snaps at red light?
It happens here in my country, I'm not sure if the local authority would still issue tickets if a traffic police is directing the traffic, overriding the traffic light signals (of course). But ...

Does a US citizen need a passport to Nogales?Is nogales part of arizona or mexico?
Any ways my question is my friend wants to go visit nogales!I am not sure if its in arizona or mexico. But she wants to go there to see a doctor & get some hydrocodone, oxycodone or whatever ...

I have a question about my first driving ticket?
I was ticketed a few weeks ago on my way back to school (CA) from lunch (we have open campus)

Long story short, there was an accident, I tried to slowly drive around it, and this lady cop ...

If you own a gun for security, can you provide a link that shows you are safer with a gun?
my last question asked why people needed, guns, and most people ignored the fact guns are more likely to used against themselves/friends/families accidentally, and less likely to be used to stop an ...

I was given a citation for underage possession of alcohol i was asleep the 2 chaperons were in their room?
police woke me up I asked for breathalyzer said I had not participated. I really did not have anywhere to go as we were in a rental house 4 hours from home the adult chaperones were in their room ...

I got a speeding ticket in Massachusetts but have a CT license.?
The Officer said I was going 91 in a 65. I honestly think I wasnt going that fast and it was at midnight with no lights on the road, how does he know it was my car? At any rate, will Connecticut ...

New NJ driving decals for people under 21?
I just read an article about drivers under 21 being forced to have stickers on their car because some kid died three years ago when she was in a car breaking that passenger limit for teens... one ...

Why Do Hijackers Ask For Things From The Police?
Do the police actually give the hijackers the things they ask for?

Why would the police give them things they ask for when they just hijacked someone?...

What kind of legal protection do British private investigators receive?
We see US investigators on TV and in film get away with breaking into places, even shooting people, but I was wondering what kind of protection their counterparts in the UK get? What kinds of things ...

What are some features of a good Law?
What are some features of a good law?
Just quick bulletpoints are fine :)

T...

What does "Lateral Transfer" mean regarding police officers?
I'm thinking it means if you transfer departments, you apply for the "lateral" position?

And also: when transferring departments, do you have to go through another ...

Where can you find list of teachers arrested in california?

Does the emergency room give my BAC results to my probation officer?

RAPE!?!?!?!?!? HELP!!!! &....?
Is it rape if someone fingered you and you said no and stop multiple times.

& what EXACTLY is the difference between rape and molestation?

& molestation just ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links