Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Who can help if my estranged husband kidnaps our children and the police wont help?
Find answers to your legal question.

Who can help if my estranged husband kidnaps our children and the police wont help?


A lawyer.

opus dei
Hire an attorney

Are there custody papers? If not, its just that the kids are with dad.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. You two are still legally married. You can hire an attorney and fight for custody of the child. If you are granted custody he will be charged with kidnapping. This is going to be a long process so have patience. To add to this I am now divorced and I am sole conservator of my son. My ex-husband still takes my child from daycare and wont return him for days and the police, FBI, courts no one will help me. Money talks and so do attorneys for you!!!

Tiea H
Get a lawyer and file for sole custody.


Montana Man
the FBI, but why wouldn't the police help?

Your managers favorite manager!
Get a lawyer and call the courts.

The court

Cody L
umm hire a detective to find him and the police wil help unless there are no custody papers then technically he hasn't done anything wrong

In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team.

Quite how a Dad can Kidnap his own children is beyond me, maybe you just aren't telling the truth.

If you had sole custody you would describe them as "your" children.

If you have not even been to court to decide such matters then you have no more right to have the children than he does. You can bleat and scream about that as much as you like.

If you don't like it, hire a solicitor, go to court, get a divorce and get custody sorted

When you say Kidnap, I would assume you have gone through the legal channels to attain full legal custody of the children, and their father either has none or strict times when he can have them. Without this, its not kidnap, its dad looking after his kids and a civil matter. Nothing to do with the police unless you can show they would be at serious harm staying with him. However, if you 'make out' that they are at serious harm and the police go round to check and find them to be perfectly ok, with clothes, food, going to school etc, then don't expect a friendly response. The police will not just remove them from one parent on the say so of another. Only with proof of custody will they do this. Don't use your kids to get back at your ex husband. You may not like him anymore but he's still the kids dad and its up to the both of you to act like adults over it and come to a suitable arrangement regarding your children.

Without a court order your husband is not kidnapping...therefore the police will not help. They only have an interest in the welfare of the children, if there is no court order, they will leave the kids with the father.


You need custody papers or some kind of court order to say who the kids should be with, then you can prove that dad's kidnapped them. Also if they're over 16, they are normally allowed to decide who to live with. If you think your ex-husband is likely to do this, tell the police so they've got a record of problems between you. If police don't help and he does kidnap them, get a lawyer involved or contact the Police Complaints Commission.

Proud Mama of 4
If you have an agreement in place, your ex can't take your kids. That's abduction.

I am sorry to say but the police wont help. You will have to go through the courts and try to get custody. If you are married you both have rights and if he wants to leave with them and there is no custody order then he can.

The court. You need a custody decree for the cops to enforce

The police will help when you have custody papers from the court. It is not kidnapping when you have no custody papers. It is a civil matter and you have to go to court first to get custody then the police will help.

It depends what the custody order says... you do have a custody order don't you?

ok no matter what the police has to help.. no matter what...and if they refuse to help you out... you can either do two things.... one you can take them to court.. and two. you can wirte a letter to the city.... but like i said the police has to help...

With something this serious... you should elaborate more. I know its strange to put the details.. but we really need to know WHY the police are not helping. If you would do that... we would be glad to help... but you should fill us in more.

The Police have got to investigate.

This is not a Civil Offence.

If you have been granted custody, it is as you say a Kidnap.

Start making an official complaint.

first who has the legal rights/ if you do and he doesn't then the police had better help! take it to court and pray! pray for Jesus protection on your kids and that he will do justice. find out what your rights are in this situation then act. but don't do anything stupid. you might jeopardize your chance of getting your kids back. Good luck and God bless!

If the police will not help, then they are considering the case not to be kidnapping.

Jason B
Kidnapping is a federal offense and the FBI is automatically involved.

Why wont the police help?

My suggestion to you would be to hire a lawyer and start the ball rolling on getting sole custody. I believe (I'm not sure! again, check with a lawyer) that if he refuses to show, the kids are yours. Then the police are legally bound to help you.

Also, if you have JOINT custody, then you still have a right to see your children based on the agreement.

My suggestion to you would be to consult a lawyer immediately... he or she can direct you how to pursue this further. Perhaps even a private detective could help you.

Good luck... and I really meant that

Natalie Cd
If there is no order from a court that gives you the sole right of access to the child then the father is equal to you, he can take his child anywhere he likes, thats why the police wont help you however, you do have the right to take the child back providing he has not got a custody order.

Its not kidnap as no order has been made.

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

 Have you been arrested?
if so what for?...

 Can the police bust a party if it is private property protected with a gate?
If i were to go to a party on private land with a gate ( piece of steel cable anchored between two trees) can they come onto the property in attempts to arrest people?...

 What's the 1st thing that comes to mind when I say: Police?
1st answer that makes me laugh will get best answer....

 Try answer this, the right answer gets the best answer for 2 points....?
You have two guys, they are neighbors. Lets call them Jack and George. George leaves for the summer to go to his cottage house. Jack goes into his garage and takes Goerges Lawnmower, Jack uses the ...

 How much do you respect the Police?
My respect for the Police used to be total. However over the last few years my mother, my wife, myself and now my son have been the victims of crime, but this one really annoys me.

My 11 ...

 Alright, where were YOU on the night of October 2, 1984?
And don't give me any false alibis, I'll be checking up it....

 Do you beleive the police can "have it in for someone"?
And harrass them. I know someone, who has, admittedly, been a bit of a pest, but his worse crime has ever been drunk and disorderly. He is an ex squaddie, suffering ptsd, and is now in rehab, but ...

 Where were you when...?
the world trade centers were hit?
Additional Details
was in 6th grade. it was the end of the day and the teacher finally told us what happened. i was taking out the garbage for the ...

 Is it worth filing a complaint against a police officer?
I was startled to get pulled over in Pasadena, Maryland and then the officer accused me of swerving. He brought another officer and yelled a lot and wanted me to take tests for drunks. I looked at ...

 Capital punishment for these b,s who abuse and kill children who cannot protect themselves. Its too often now?
I have just been reading the news and all it is children being horrifically abused and killed. This country has got to get a grip. Our forensic and DNA is sufficient nowadays to make sure nobody gets ...

 Who pays my landlord for a new door that the cops kicked in?
Last week I was sitting at home minding my owns business and here come the cops with six cars, a paddy wagon, a helocopter and two dogs. They come up on my house and kick down my door, throw some ...

 Why have so many people lost faith in the police?

 Why do you believe that the crime rate of African Americans is higher than other groups?
Coincidence or do you have a theory....

 If i refuse a Breathalyzer test could i lose my license?

 Do you think the police used excessive force on the two bank robbers today?
or do you think they were justified in taking down these ...

 What would happen if i shifted into reverse while speeding down the highway?

 Do you think guns kills people or people using the guns kill people?
If yo uthink about it, guns are fairly safe, they can not just shot them selves, so i am just a lil curious....

 What would happen if we DID put a total ban on guns in this country?
i'm guessing that gun crimes statistics go way, way down and the incidences of murder by some other means goes way, way up...

what say you?......

 I accidentally ran over a swan, so I took it home and ate it - can I be hanged for treason?

Additional Details
It was quite gamey. I roasted it but it was a bit overpowering so I made a huge stew - that was much nicer....

 Can police come into a house without knocking first?
the police come to my home last night to arest my nephew that lives with me. for a minor assult.that we didnt know anything about.thay just come in opend my kitchen door then souted hello. didnt have ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, February 12, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links