Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Why Do The Prisoners Have To Sit So Long On Death Row?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why Do The Prisoners Have To Sit So Long On Death Row?

While i'm not defending the horrendous acts they are accused of committing, I was wondering why it takes so long to execute death row inmates? I am not saying they should be killed off immediately, because I am not an advocate of the death penalty, but then again, neither am I against it totally...I think every situation is different. However, why do some inmates have to stay there so long? I read an article on this very subject, and they mentioned several cases. In one situation, a man committed a crime years ago, and by the time he was finally put to death, he was a lot older, and had some illness, where he no longer even remembered the crime he committed. I don't know if it was Alzheimers, but it was some disease that afflicted him once he got older. Not that this changed the fact that the man committed the crime, but why have the inmates sit so long? Why wait until this man is old and elderly, before finally making the decision to carry out his judgement?

joshcating
Rating
they don't have to

A death penalty case goes into automatic appeal, making sure every last issue of the case was valid before execution. In many cases this takes years, or even decades.

However, the prisoner can ask that the appeals process be dropped, and that sentence be carried out.

This is what happened with Timothy McVeigh, in fact. After he dropped his appeals, he was executed within months.

Leogirl0804
Because the Liberals have created an appeals process that makes it almost impossible to take them out quickly.

neil r
Liberal do gooders have messed up this country in a lot of ways, this is just one of them.

Walter Ridgeley
Rating
Cuz they don't wanna die, cuz.

Laissez_Faire
It is because of the prisioners have the right to a couple of appeals. The judicial system takes a long time to appeal.

sureno
Rating
They got the right to appeals, these can stretch for many, many years.

Michael R
Rating
The tax payer pay for the slime ball to drain the court systems with their appeals.

Pia
They don't in Texas...

Marvin C
Rating
because the wheels of justice grind very slowly, and lawyers file appeal after appeal over every tiny shred of evidence that they think will save their clients from execution. And it takes time for justices to hear and act on those appeals, then sometimes it is referred to a higher court, and another higher court all the way to the United States Supreme Court who, other then the president of the United States, has the final say on appeals...there are countries in the world that still execute convicted murderers and even some thieves immediately after being found guilty, with no hope of appeals....

The First Dragon
Rating
The reason they wait so long is the appeals process. They are trying to get the death sentence commuted to a lesser sentence, if not get the conviction overturned; so this wait is voluntary on the inmates' part. Those who choose not to fight the death sentence are executed much sooner.

usaf.primebeef
Appeals

Andy
Rating
Because they keep appealing. McVeigh stopped his appeals, which is why he got executed faster. Then he changed his mind: too late.

Death penalty questions seem to crop up every few minutes on Y! Q/A.

alex f
Rating
i am so confused....

Dr. Ruth Less
so they get to spend our tax dollars...just like they went and did a heart transplant on one before killing him

LADY GEMINI
Rating
Each Appeal filed by Attorneys takes time and then you would have to go before the board which is a yearly, and then your denied and then the process repeats it self over and over, until it's time to be executed. There hundreds before you waiting to die. You have to serve at least 20 years before you get an execution date.

pcheesewhiz
Rating
Most criminal attorneys file appeal after appeal. A prisoner can ask his attorney not to file any appeals, and in that case the sentence will be carried expeditiously.

mzahra1
Rating
it's part of the torture process - a good thing.

tallerfella
Rating
appeals, appeals, appeals.............

Bobbo
I agree with about half of your statement . I was wondering why I have to pay for these WORTHLESS people to stay alive for so long ... As far as I'm concerned, they should be brought strait from the court room to the chair . Better yet I'll pay for the bullet .

lori b
that is a very good question however idk.you would think that if you got sentenced to death it would be carried out immediately.after all appeals have been exausted

☆BTriX☆
So they can think about what they have done.

They need to wallow in the refuse they have put before themselves.

bradthepilot
They have the right to appeal. This process is very long.

Bobby C
In my thinking death row prisoners is a joke. If they are committed to die then get rid of them and stop wasting our money on them. California looks like the worst state for this, Be like Texas and get rid of them. Caliornia pussy foots around like it's thier little petting zoo & lets appeal after appeal go by while it's costing the state thousands of dollars a year,on wonder they have some of thier money problems. (GET RID OF THEM.) All theses groups that think they are do gooders that wants to do away with the death penalty are nuts. I will say if a close family member of thiers were shot in the head by one of these low life people I bet thier thinking would do a 360 degree turn. So lets look at Texas as a model to try to ba like.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do you flash you headlights to warn others of police waiting?

Have you ever met a police douche bag?
I had to park 2 blocks away from my apartment, since there was no parking there. So, it was 11 pm and I was walking down the street, smoking a cigarette, the street was pretty much deserted.
T...

Do you think that the TAZERS police use are cruel and inhumane?

How do you aproach a stalker?

Is the black and asian police association a racist organisation?
it excludes people based on their race. if there was a white police association there would be hell to pay and it wouldn't be allowed-based on the fact that it excludes people on grounds of ...

So, "Ian", you get fed up hearing the truth eh, typical copper!?

Are my windows being smashed by stones, air rifles or bullets? glass travelled 17ft and left a marble sz hole
I Have had my windows smashed twice in the last three weeks, and the cops think that it's kids with stones. But surely throwing a stone at someones window would NOT cause shards of glass to fly 1...

If cop pulls me over & i give them no licence but false name.how can they check this?
can they go back to their car and check photo or view photo licence of the person who owns the false name i gave?...

I know who it was but how do i prove it?
someone in my office has been taking my atm card from my bag and taking cash from the atm. They must have seen me put my pin in at some point. Now, there is no cctv evidence as its been going on a ...

Why should private citizen own a gun?
well, this is the topic I am writting about for my class,...

If you are on probation for dui and u get a piss test and it comes out that you have smoked weed is it a viola
my mom is worried that she will go to jail bc she has a piss test ...

Im having trouble with my neighbour and her stupid noisey aggresive odg?
it constantly barks at my disabled daughter,causing her to run in screaming with fera. she has autism so she is very noise sensative. i have asked her several times to sort it out. have infomed my ...

If a police officer tells you to stop and you run..........?
can they just shoot you and say they thought they saw a weapon?...

Is it time to legalise the low-risk drugs such as cannabis and ecstacy?
Statistically, many more people are killed by paracetemol, not to mention the devastation to lives, families and careers caused by alcohol....

Should marijuana be legalized????would it be a good idea???

Are there any instances that you would TOTALLY be FOR the death penalty?
1. Serial Killers - Jeffrey Dahmer?
2. Cop killers?
3. Serial Rapists?
4. Serial child molesters and rapists?
5. Terrorists?

I do not support the death penalty ...

Can i get arrested for marijunna if it aint mine?
Cops found weed in my car but it wasnt ...

Do you think we should be able to bear arms for our own security and safety i would feel safer in my home?
as i have no confidence in the british police force. i have to say that if that was possible, i would have to meet certain criteria ie no criminal record and i would be obliged to register any fire ...

Someone stole $900 in items from me???
I went to work today and came back and find that my ipod, sidekick3, DG sunglasses and all my new cologne that wasnt opened is gone.. Ive called the pigs and they asked if i had evidence and i said ...

Do you think britains uniformed police are a disgrace ?
A total of 145 people have come forward to criticise the actions of officers from several forces during two days of demonstrations. This of course is in connection with their brutality and assaults. D...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, August 29, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links