Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Why do people get 200 year prison sentences?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why do people get 200 year prison sentences?

Why do people get prison sentences for 200 years, or ones of this length, when no one really even lives this long?

CGIV76
One underlying reason is that they're telling the parole board that this person should not be paroled.

kyghostchaser2006
The sentencing law provides the length of sentence and when multiple crimes occurs the sentence can be consecutive or concurrent. Consecutive sentences means one person must complete the sentence for one crime before starting the sentence for the second crime. IF they committed several crimes it can end up being over 200 years.

A to the T
why do people do the stupid stuff to get 200 yr sentence...if your that stupid you should be sent to the electric chair instead of rotting away in jail taking up our tax dollars getting fed

danielle p
Because with good behavior , 200 years winds up being 11 years actual served . Thank a liberal .

Dog Lover
Exactly.......... it is to make sure that they never get out of prison for time served or probation / parole.

It is done in cases where the death penalty can not be given.

Bob
Rating
Because they are eligible for parole within 25-50 years - depending on state laws (no federal parole so that sentence is basically life without parole).

Pretsler
Rating
Life without parole

ALASPADA
From what I have heard from lawyers its to show that they should not be paroled the sentence even if cut for good behavior is still over the life span of a human. The 200 years shows how violent the person was in the commission of their crime and the punishment must match it.

Dowahdiddy
Cause the wimpy liberals don't want to give multi murdering people the death sentence these days. They don't seem to mind that those people die in prison after being there a long time but we can't give them a quick death. One thing it proves, the liberals would rather the inmates have boyfriends for as long as they are in prison.

Eddy
Like most said, the only way to get this is with multiple convictions for multiple offenses/charges. I know someone that is serving 4 consecutive sentences, all 4-10 years. He's been paroled on the first sentence. Once that happens, he begins serving the next sentence. and so on...

Ophelia
Rating
Because it takes a lot longer to come up for parole.

joshbl74
Given a choice I'd say prison serves one or more of 3distinct functions. Reform, Retribution, Removal. Decide upfront which you think each person deserves. Make these facilities separate with extremely limited contact between. The punishment prison should be a work house which cares for the needs of the other two and is a miserable place to be. The reform prison separates people from distractions of normal life while they are shone a better way of life. As for removal. A small room attached to the crematorium will do. The burden of leadership is that you have to do the unpleasant jobs too. You can't just put people in prison and say you removed them from society. Those people will have a horrendous effect on the prisoners who will get out of prison. Sometimes the hardest choice is the best choice.

ssracing
Rating
because someone is to limp wristed to give a death penalty

Hockeyfan
There can be several reasons but a big one is that they were found guilty on several different counts and each count carried a certain number of years.

Carl_the_Truth
Rating
So there's no chance of them ever getting out.

TURANDOT
Good question!

It makes it tougher for the guy to get time off and a shortened sentence, for good behavior

Ketsuban
Rating
Because people are stupid.

leikevy
Rating
Just in case they live that long, they will come out frail but somehow still be a menace to society.

Kaitlyn
Liberals don't agree with the death sentence because the law isn't always perfect and sometimes innocent people are put to death. Sometimes this isn't found out for years and after forensics figures out the person is innocent the person is dead. Most liberals could give a shit about mass murderers and whether they live or die. We just don't want innocent people to die because of human error.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is there anything I can do?
A friend of mines daughter is having an affair with a 30 year old guy. The problem is that she's only 15!!!! She wants to have his baby, but he just wants her for...we you can only imagine why ...

You think all those little cameras are for traffic control, don't you?

Will i go to prison??
Basicly i hit someone in my supported housing with a high heeled shoe on her arm. Caused bad brusing and broke her skin. She pressed charges.A police officer turned up 6 days later wanting me to give ...

Some people ask stupid questions..but is there actually such a thing as a stupid question?

Plastic cop car seats?
onece i saw molded palastic seats in the rear of a crown vic why plastic and why molded???...

Drink Driving question, please help?
my 19 year old neice foolishly drove her car while drunk, she was stopped, breathalysed and charged by the police, she is going to court this week, we know she will be banned and have to re-sit her ...

We have a word for him, have you?
Pub regular, Keiron says he doesn't care what the terorists do as long as they don't blow up HIS bike....

Why do police harass you?
when you have a gun in your car? it is for my protection and they say i dont need a gun. in these times i feel safer with a weapon in my automobile you never know whats around the ...

Do you think I will be going to jail?
I guess me and my friend got charged for retail fraud. We are 19 years old. and my friend deicided to steal stuff and asked to put it in my purse and i was being stupid and said ok. so we got caught ...

Do police departments really conduct 'internal investigations' ?

How do i stop sales and survey calls?

11 PM curfew? fair or not?
I am a teen, and personally i am shocked that some "government" has a power of telling me that i cant be out past some time?

I think that there should be a curfew on Monday-T...

Is hearsay enough for a search warrant?
Just curious........

Why are the employees at the jails not particularly bright?
Seriously, it takes them two hours to look up something on the computer, three hours to fill out a form and four hours to file it. Is it laziness, mandated, or lack of intellegence?...

I made a(n oral) bet with someone and they refuse to pay me.?
Aren't oral contracts binding? Is he legally obliged to pay me? I guess an oral contract would be a terribly difficult thing to prove, wouldn't it. It's just so frustrating. I had a ...

Why cops do have nothing better to do but harass people?
i was driving dont the road not speeding or anything cop siting at a light. i saw he was about a mile from then he turns right when i pass. why because im black come on i dont even smoke i have a ...

I have reported you to the police?

Police training vs marine training, which is tougher?
Anyone here a marine or police officer, which training in tougher?...

Speeding In America?
How is speeding treated in terms of points and fines, in the uk you get 3 points for speeding with a max limit of 9 or 12 (I Think) then u get banned for a year. Is this similar to american rules for ...

Was I really convicted of a crime?
back when i was 12 or 13 years old, i was arrested for stealing candy from a convenient store. i was placed on probation for one year and the charge was petty theft. i didn't go to court, and ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links