Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Why do police officers break the law they swore to uphold ?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why do police officers break the law they swore to uphold ?

What makes them do it ?

CGIV76
Why do you change your ID to ask the same question that's been asked over, and over again?.

Silkeez
Rating
Because they are only human just as the rest of us are. They're just held to much higher standards then we are. If we break the law, oh well, our bad but if they break the law it's all over the news, their jobs are at stake and their reputations are in ruins. Obviously the should not break the law but no one else should either.

chandrasanyal
A Policeman is a human too, vulnerable enough to do all things done by a non-policeman. Afterall the police service is a profession for him, with all sorts of laws surrounding his life and often involuntarily he escapes it by breaking the rules most innocently like any other person, he his noticed faster, because of his uniform and status!

Shane
Nobodies perfect, people are people. When you see some of the stuff these cops see, your bound to have a few bad apples. Some cops do it cause they think they can get away with it, the "bad cops" that give all the other cops a bad name. It doesnt help that its all over the news whenever something happens involving crooked cops, so than everyone's opinion changes about all cops in general. Most of them are just trying to do their jobs, so show a little respect and dont go around thinking that all of them break the law, cause its only a select few.

Farron T
Rating
Because police officers are human beings too?

Binnus
Rating
Every person here on earth is human and being human, one is subject to weaknesses and failures. Policemen are also human. When they break the law, perhaps they do not intend to do so but their weaknesses pull them down. Saying so, I do not condone to their breaking of the law. What I could say is: 'The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!'

versantly
Rating
not all police officers do this -please don't generalize.

wuxxler
Rating
The same thing that makes non-police officers do it - some people will break the law if they feel the reward is great enough and the risk is small enough. Police officers are people, too, and we get some bad apples just like any other profession gets some bad apples.
Some doctors kill. Some ministers sin. Some accountants fudge the numbers. Some criminals snitch. Some athletes cheat. It happens in the police force, too.

OceanUnit405
I won't sit here and try to tell you, "No you're wrong, all police officers are perfect!"

What I will tell you, however, is that law enforcement officers are heavily stereotyped based on just a few bad incidents. Police officers are generally honest and law abiding citizens just like most of the rest of the population, but the image created by just a few affects them all.

Try to find some hard facts before making the assumption that all police are bad next time.

Mary Ann
Rating
If you want a cop that will be unwaivering in it's application of the law. Then look toward the future when Cops are replaced by Robots......I recommend the ED209 series. http://tavisharts.kamiki.net/fanart/ed%20209.jpg

or maybe we can get a human cop who won't waiver from the law, someone like JUDGE DREDD:

Herman Ferguson: [Dredd is charging Fergie for tampering and hiding in a maintance robot, which Fergie uses to flee the block war at Heavenly Haven] 5 years? But I had to! They were killing each other in there!

Judge Dredd: You could have gone out the window.

Herman Ferguson: We're 40 floors up! That would have been suicide!

Judge Dredd: Maybe, but it's legal.

covington_2315
Rating
Everybody is not perfect. Police officers are not robots. They act like me and you. The departments try and pick the best people for the job but believe it or not that sometimes some slip through the crack and get hired.

hoponcop
Rating
Because they can do and will

mypassioniswriting
Law Enforcement Priorities??

Since everyone on this site is so gung-ho Law Enforcement (makes sense because it's questions about Law Enforcement), I will tell my story--aren't you lucky.

I was at a 4-way stop last weekend at 6:30 a.m., no one was around (well, there was a trap set up on the opposite road with a camera). I usually come to a complete stop but because it was a 4-way stop and I was the only one at it, 6:30 a.m. in my tiny town, I apparently didn't come to a "complete" stop. The officer pulled me over, (I actually thought I was pulling over to let him pass by) charged me a huge amount and at the same time my house was getting robbed.

On my way back home I was driving through construction & an officer behind me must have got upset I was actually going 25mph, passed me up where there was technically no passing lane. I thought surely he must be after someone. No, he filed behind the rest of the left turners and proceeded out of that area to drive down the highway along with the other traffic.

Had there been even a 2nd car, I definitely would have stopped. This was an easy way to get $ when the risk was low. The items taken from my home down the road at the same time exceeded $3,000K. As a citizen, I would have respected the officer more had he been patrolling the neighborhood possibly preventing a real crime instead of catching the sole car at a 4-way stop not coming to what he defined to me as a full stop. (I saw the tape, it wasn't a stop you could count to 3 with--but it wasn't as bad as he made me think it was).

hottblondcop
Rating
what makes them do it? Oh, that is the head boss/evil crime lord/demon that all police officers have talking to them in their heads, telling them to be good/do bad/drive fast/eat donuts...right? Because the only people who should answer for breaking their vows/solemn promises/rules are police officers. Try taking the plank out of your eye before you ask about the next splinter in someone else's.
You sir, are an idiot.

tap158
Rating
who did what where and did you report them this is to generic a question are you talking about them speeding or taking bribes or running drugs or what. If you know of a Police Officer breaking the law then you need to report it so they can face the same justice we do

bobswiming
it easy to go bad believe me put your self in there shoes

Brinlarr
they are human

BobbyK
Rating
A profession does not limit the mind of a criminal. Some people are able to hide it throught the strenuous tests to become police officers, others have life changing moments that blur their clarity and cause them to break the law. Some people just plain don't think before they do it no matter whether it is a police officer, a judge, or even a janitor for that matter..............

Lucky
everyone breaks the law and one point or another

VISIONQUEST
Rating
Quite simply, becaue they can get away with it.

chicagolove
Rating
Its a very stressful job.

Steven C
some go bad most of us are good. i even speed a bit over like 5 or 6 mph but that is breaking the law still

Blue Steel & Lace
What you need to do, is contact every single officer that ever broke the law, and ask them.
Then you can write it all down, and have the real answers.

Because deep down they are CORRUPT, and shold never have been accepted into the police force.

bbasingal
Which law are you referring to and what officers?

Lawenforcer329
Rating
I can tell you, because I am a police officer, that everyone breaks the law in some form or another. And what I am talking about is things like not wearing a seatbelt, or exceeding the speed limit, etc..... I can promise you though, that I am not out drinking and driving, doing drive by shootings, smoking crack, or robbing banks. The question should be, why do people break the law? Stop bashing the police because it won't get you anywhere.

scruffycat
Rating
Which police officers?

cndtroops1
Police are just the same as we are. There is know difference. Certain ones will show up to work drunk, show up late, have a bad day whatever. To me we pay there freakin way so they are a civil servant and should be pleasant and curtious to all of us. And some times as in the case of the real lindsay lohan they are looking for a little piece of fame and that may mean an unsuspecting celebrity will be the victim. Most of them are under trained and not equipped mentally or physically with to deal with the job they are given

Kevin
Becuase they do drugs tooo.....

DEADGONE
Police officers are above the laws that govern the common person.

iRSquires
Rating
Because They are more likely to get away with it. And Yes all Cops do break the law, it's called Speeding. I can't drive down the highway at 80 thinking it's okay. Even if I do have Flashing lights, and a siren. Then that would be impersonating an Officer.

There is 2 sides to the law, and if your not in it. your a suspect.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Two armed robbers killed by police?
They were trying to rob a security van in Hampshire. I don't know how anyone else feels about this but it has saved the tax payers thousands in a court case, and at least they won't do it ...

Should i tell/go to the police?
Well I know some one who set my school on fire, so should i tell. And well I can prove how it was him it in more 5 ways.

1) He sent me messages before hand and after about what he was ...

Please Help Someone! My neighbor has called the police on me 7 times in 3 months for "loud noise".?
Each time the police have arrived, they have not heard noise. She even called them on me while I was asleep! I have invited her into my home one incident and showed her that all I was doing was ...

A child molester lives on my street!!?
i found him on http://www.familywatchdo
his son goes to my new school so should i report him?
Additional Details
oh no, his son shows signs of being ...

Can I be arrested if a warrant is issued in a different state than where I live?
I was told that I had an arrest warrant issued for me in the state of Texas. I currently live in Minnesota. Is it possible for me to be arrested here? If so how? I was accused of stealing something ( ...

My mum rang the police......................
Me and my mum had a argument, Basically she unplugged my computer, and so i unplugged the TV and then she rang the police!! We argued for abit then the police came round and my mum was talking to ...

No shirts no shoes are pants optional?
and do you have to actually wear them...as the signs imply you only NEED to have them..not WEAR them....
Additional Details
PANTS are not required by law...although there are indecent ...

Is it just me or are people getting dumber by the day?
Several weeks ago, my daughter's bike and my mower disappeared from my yard. I called the cops, but with nothing to go on, nothing ever became of it. I walked out to my mail box an hour ago and ...

Can you get a ticket or fine for driving while listening to your ipod?
I live in michigan.
Could someone drive around in a car with there ear phones plugged in without getting pulled over?

What about having your radio blasted?...

Do you think marijuana will be legal in the next 10-15 years?
After the generation of people who grew up in the '70s and later starts coming into power ... do you think we'll see a serious de-escalation of the war on drugs? I'm not a stoner ...

What to do when I am surrounded by the SWAT team?
I hate establishment . Im anti -establishment....

Why when u order a pizza it gets there within the hour but when u fone the police they turn up 2 days later?

Why are police officers treated like heroes for simply doing what they're paid to do?

Additional Details
EDIT: They -chose- their line of work, so if it's too much for them to handle, isn't that -their- problem?...

Hi do the police in Great Britain carry pistols?
Hi here in America, police in here they carry handguns & stick. What about in Great Britain?
Additional Details
If not, how the heck you defend yourself in a bank robbery or gun ...

When a police chopper flies low over your neighbourhood do you ignore it, run to window to look or hide??!?

Additional Details
yahoo nickname we do almost the same, we just make sure the back door's locked then run upstairs for a better look!...

If you pulled up behind a Police car at a red light?
and the light turned green and he did not pull away, would you beep your horn at him?...

Can a cop hide with no lights on at all to catch speeders? I thought this was illegal. Isnt this entrapment?

If the cops have a search warrant tof ind something, but find something else could i get in trouble?
Example: Lets say i killed someone, and i stashed the weapon in my house, they get a search warrant to search my house and find a bag of cocaine? Can i get in trouble for that?...

Marijuana????????????????
Ok, marijuana is illegal with out a prescription, right. You can even order marijuana through High Times mag. Why is this not illegal? Anyone know?...

Is this driving while suspended?
My license was suspended years ago, in the last two years I have paid my fees and fines, I carry full coverage insurance with an SR22 filing, and have passed my written test. I plan to take my ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links