Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Why do prisoners wear orange jump suits instead of other colors?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why do prisoners wear orange jump suits instead of other colors?

Why orange?
Additional Details
star if you like this question!

dadwith4
Most jails don't always have the same color scheme. They have different color as to Identify them as either a felon or a misdemeanor. They use Orange, red green, Grey,tan and all the stripes uniforms with same colors as well, my favorite is the black and white...

Mr.I
Rating
It sticks out more if they escape.

Lindsey
Rating
It's like a highlighter color, they can see them running away.

Ron Burgundy
Rating
easy to see

HumanToe
So they'll stand out! No duh!

jeffrey_bowling19
Rating
They are really bright and easy to see. No one would think a guy in an orange suit is just a regular civi.

NacMac
Rating
I think because it's a very visible color.

Mini
Rating
Because the government wants to make them feel like an astronaut. :)

mazotti1
Rating
the easier to spot them ...

Mab
Rating
Because then they stand out more if they run away, but I think you already knew that one....

srb
orange sticks out and its easier to catch or get a run away! If it was black or puple you wouldn't beable to see them good at night, makeing it easier to escape and if it were white or brownish, it could be diifficult to see in the daytime, making it easier to escape!

Dori
Rating
quite simply, orange is noticeable.
prevents escapes, altercations, disorder etc...

NovacaineNadine Anti-Miley&Jonas
Rating
sticks out more if they try to escape. and its the easyiest bright color to mass produce

Megumi H
Rating
It's a distinctive, ugly colored suit. People can spot them from far away. It's demeaning, and probably they just like the color =D

it8eazy
Rating
not all prisons use orange. there are other colors, white and blue for example. its just a uniform and a way to control them and make them easy to spot over guards and civilians

killiolm
Rating
In case they run away they are easy to spot.

cclover _
Rating
When they run it provides a visible moving target..

STATE OF HOCKEY BABY!
Rating
if they were to escape people could easily see them and call the cops to come and get them

and since they broke the law..to humiliate them!!!

Butterfly
black and white stripes make some people dizzy. Orange jump suits is a dead give away.

gunhappy heretic
Rating
Because orange goes good with any hair or eye color. I would prefer a chartreuse or lime.

gray1800
Rating
Because orange is the new black. It all revolves around the fashion world.

frankdc1
If you're talking about prisoners being held by Americans, it's just the standard product they purchase. I have, however, seen pictures from Guantanamo where they were wearing red jumpsuits.

The reason you see the orange jumpsuit is that it is used for transport. Their regular prison uniform may be different. In order to ensure that no contraband is being carried, prisoners are put in the jumpsuits when moved from one facility to another. Trust me; I was in prison for 2 years. I had a green uniform but they gave me the orange jumpsuit from time to time.

Samster
Rating
Don't really know, but I know a prison in Texas, the prisoners wear pink

Rachel
Because orange jumpsuits are very flatering.
Its pretty hott I would say.
The cops probably think so too

gargoyle
Rating
I dunno...when I was down we had the jumpers but wore sweats and a t-shirt underneath...

Old Guy
The people in the prison system are trying to teach the prisoners the value of getting an education. Because criminals are dumb (they get caught) the people in the prison system use a color coding system to try to get the message across to them. They make the jump suits the same color as the school buses.

TURANDOT
Rating
That's TV. My local one has convicts wear blue jumpsuits.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Arizona is pretty famous for making prisoners wear pink, even in their underwear!
http://conservativethoughts.us/2008/01/15/prison-inmates-pretty-in-pink/

Mr. Goodhi
Some cops are hunters too & that's the color they wear so they don't get shot at.

TopEST Contributor
why not wear orange?

Mahal, LAK P.S.
Rating
Most criminals are liberals, and criminalogists have discovered that when they're dressed to look like Mao supporters, they relax.

mexican leona
not all prisoners wear orange color jump suits, only the ones that are consider high risk.

tanga
why assume anybody wearing orange is con. so if im a criminal and wanted to escape ill wear orange, of course not. im wearing pink.

tanga
why assume anybody wearing orange is con. so if im a criminal and wanted to escape ill wear orange, of course not. im wearing pink.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Should 'life imprisonment' really mean 'imprisonment for life'?
The two killers of a London lawyer have been sent down for 'life' meaning they will serve minimum terms of 17 and 21 years respectively so they could be only 35 and 40 when released. But ...

Have you ever attacked someone?
Why?
Additional Details
Holbrook..

Lol my friend.

Even though I was an MP for 4 years.

Bless you.....

Are the police above the law?
as we all know, it is illegal to drive a car without wearing a seat belt. the law does have some exclusions to the rule but could any one please tell me if the police are excluded from the law that ...

What do you think about death penalty?

Why do people come on here and bad mouth the police?
Its a simple question to which i know i am i am going to get daft answers from simple people!!
To those of you who fit the above criteria why not put pen to paper and complain to the people who ...

If some one gets life in prison, should we just kill them?
It cost over $300,000 per person a year to live in jail, and he's staying for life, why shouldn't we just kill them, bullet is 5 cents....

Stalker help!?
Iíve had a guy stalking me for 6 yrs now...and I canít get a restraining order against him b/c heís never done anything thatís made me call the police on him. Heís annoying as he** though he wonít ...

I can't believe the cops did nothing...what do you think?
So...I was talking to this woman on the phone who is coming to pick up a gazelle from me today. She was telling me how her 15 year old son was hit and run over by a car and now needs all sorts of ...

Why don't the police spend more time trying to solve serious crimes?
I see a lot of unsolved murder cases on cold case files that have never been solved.But if the victim was a cop or a cops family member the case would never be put in the cold case files and every ...

If a police officer says you're breaking the law, is he obliged to show you that law?
it's utterly crazy how many laws are running around out there. i've always wondered how anyone can keep track of them. and that brings me to my above question.

if you get stopped ...

Do you often not wear a seatbelt, like when it's dark and the police can't see into ur car?

What the hell is wrong with people?? 3 school shootings, in one week, outrageous, what do you think?
I thought that after Columbine shootings, that most schools boosted their security, I guess not, But I garuntee now almost all will, this is horrible!!
Additional Details
These school ...

What do you do if you see a cop that is struggling with a suspect?
Should you help the cop out or stay back and wait for them to yell that they need your help?
Additional Details
A lot of good answers so far. Seems everyone agrees to jump in. I wasn�...

If a man shoots his cheating wife "in the heat of passion" does he get a lesser murder charge?
Lets say some dudes wife is sleeping with another guy, the husband walks in on it & shoots the wife, Does he get a lesser murder charge because it was commited in the heat of passion?
how ...

Do we need vigilantes NOW? To do the work that the police no longer do?
Parents, Police, Teachers, The Judiciary, The Government.
Thanks to political correctness, none of the above are doing their jobs properly!
Do we bring in private police and rough justice?...

Is my speeding ticket legal,"if, my names spelt wrong, my address is wrong ,, and my post codes wrong!?

I was attakcked last night, what should I do?
I was attacked by a giant mouse as I walked through the park, do you think I should notify the ...

Should Prison Really Be Like It Is?
As an ex con, I can speak from experience. Prison is far to soft and so therefore not a deterent. Cells have Curtains, Carpets, TV with Sky, Playstation, Kettle. Access to Microwave & Grill ...

What sort of things would people be buying if they wanted to make a bomb?
The reason I ask is-I have just started work in a DIY store and I understand that some of our products can be used for the wrong reasons.I need to know what is suspicious and what isn't,so I can ...

WHY cant I carry a GUN wherever i wanna??? why do i NEED a permit or watever???
i think everybody should be allowed to have ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links