Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Why do we have Sheriff's and Policemen?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why do we have Sheriff's and Policemen?

What's the big difference between the Sheriff Dept, The Police Dept, The Constable and so forth? I mean why do we need that many different names for law enforcers and which ones out rank the other one?

Glen B
Sheriff's have jurisdiction over the entire county. Police departments usually have jurisdiction within city limits. Constables basically serve as paper pushers serving warrants or other legal documents.

FRANKFUSS
Rating
It's jurisdictional. New York has the NYPD, but it also has the Sheriff. They handle different things. Sheriffs usually denote a county, Police Department usually denotes a city, and State Police cover the entire state. Some departments supersede others due to jurisdictional limits and contracts.

Then you have Fedral law enforcement such as Marshalls, FBI and so on.

bobanalyst
No law against it.

alex m
A sheriff patrols the county,a police Officer patrols the city,and a Constable is similar to the Sheriff Department.

Rating
Police officer, sheriff, constable, etc. are just names used in different jurisdictions to label their law enforcement people. Police usually operate witin the city limits, sheriffs usually control a county, constables usually operate within city law enforcement, but as a sub entity. In some cities, the title of Marshal still exist, just like in the old west. Places like Texas, and Kansas probably have Marshals.

Stuart
Police serve cities, towns, and villages. Sheriffs serve counties and parishes. State police serve entire states. Constables tend to serve small jurisdictions, typically rural parts of counties.

Robert S
Military
State police
Sheriff
Local police
Local constable

This is the typical order of authority.
Each is investigated by the upper if need be. With the exception of the State. But each has their own duties.
State patrol state highways and assist local and Sheriff depts.
Sheriff provides court security, jails, and county law enforcement also assists with local waterway rescue, search and rescue and patrol.
Local police do local stuff and are more in touch with the local community.

woodchipper890
The Sheriffs office takes care of the county, the Police Dept. Takes care of the city, State police takes care of the whole state. They have so many different agencies because one agency cant be in 13 different places at once. It would also be very chaotic.

AintSkeered
Rating
The different agencies serve different types of jursidictions.

The Sheriff's Dept. has county wide jurisdiction. They do the same duties as a city cop, except they police in un-incorporated areas or in towns too small to have a police force. Deputies generally don't work vehicle accidents -- that is the state police's (or highway patrol's) job. The Sheriff's Office is also responsible for serving civil papers and enforcing court ordered writs. They sometimes transport inmates when the are transferred after sentencing (if they are in a small county that doesn't have a seperate transportation division)
A Police Department is a municipal agency that only has jurisdiction within the city limits of that city. They do not serve civil papers or enforce writs. A city cop does enforce city ordinances and tend to do more civil standby type of things that a sheriff's office won't do (custody exchanges or keeping order in an ugly break up while one of them moves out of the house). City cops work vehicle accidents of course.
State police (or highway patrol) have state wide jurisdiction. They handle mostly traffic offenses and vehicle accidents on non-incorporated county roads or on the highways. They usually assist the county deputies or city cops if there is a large incident or if they are in the area when there is something going on. They are usually better trained and better paid than the less populous county deputies or smaller city cops (depending on the location). They are usually the ones the smaller agencies call for assistance during an "oh sh*t" situation like a bomb threat, an active shooter, a barricaded subject or large area man hunt. They transport anyone they arrest to the county jail of the county where the arrest took place.
In the area where I live and work, we don't have constables.

1st Buzie
Rating
Because we have bad guys running around breaking laws

Kenneth C
Different agencies serve different needs. A police department on the city level will do all the traditional patrol work.

A sheriff's department will run the jail, deal with civil judgments, paper service and patrol unincorporated areas.

No Law Enforcement agency outranks any others.

Steven C
We have a sheriff department to patrol the rural areas that don't have their own police department.

luv them horse's
You have some good answers, all ready ,, Sheriff are for the county and Police or for the city ,,Constables are the one who serves warrants to persons that are issued by the court and they have a tough job because they have to serve papers to people who most likely don't want to go to court , Any way hope this helps ..

Rob C
Rating
The sherriff regulates the jails. Sheriff's are countywide as where police departments are city wide.

GFC
Rating
In the old world, "shires" are like our counties here in the U.S. The "shire reeve" was the local law enforcement. Our term sheriff comes from that term, so it usually refers to a county law enforcement official.

Basically, the various terms are simply regional preferences or customs, often harking back to old terms.

343 Remember
The reason for the different titles is not for fashion.. it has to do with jurisdiction, responsibility etc.

Police - these are city, with city jurisdiction; however various sting operations etc. may be coordinated with the Sheriff's Department.
Sheriff - these are county, in charge of the jails etc. The Sheriff has jurisdiction throughout the county; however if there is a large metropolitan city in that county it is normal that the Sheriff respects the Chief of Police and therefore does not storm in that city without notice of courtesy.
In smaller towns the Sheriff and their Deputies ARE the Police.

It is important that people know the difference. Many times people have a comment about something i.e. that too many names or titles are a waste; however ONCE you know the different responsibilities, it makes more sense.

Thank you for asking this question.

I hope after you talk with your local Law Enforcement agency and educate yourself more on the Law Enforcement in your area.. you will have a better appreciation.

The TRUE waste of titles is when you go into a store and the first employee you bring your return to.. says that they are on a Break.. the next one tells you that they are not in Returns and the last person you find before giving up.. can't speak English.. so you leave.. with whatever you wanted to return in the first place.

A Law Enforcement Officer on or off-duty has to respond to a crime in progress. Even in another jurisdiction a Law Enforcement Officer has to react somehow. Law Enforcement Officers have to learn several languages. because it appears that many people do not feel the need to learn English.

I wonder how smoothly Corporate America would run.. if we all had the same expectations and responsibilities as Law Enforcement Officers... but it's not my job to speculate :) haha

I wish you well.

Lizzy
Rating
They are all different names for different policemen because they are really different people. They are all law enforesers but they do it in different ways.

conundrum_dragon
Rating
I think police are local and Sheriff cover like the entire state or have jurisdiction there.

red12saleen
Rating
To enforce the law. aalllrriiiigghhhtttt

Fredo
Rating
theyre different ranks

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What is the "right" answer to give when a law enforcement officer asks "Do you mind if I search your vehicle?"
We've all seen "Cops" and/or heard stories from friends on BOTH sides of the equation - cops who tell you of pulling over little old ladies for a busted taillight only to find $500,000 ...

Should National Service be re-introduced to help deal with persistent antisocial behaviour?
I don't mean just for young people either, there's plenty of older people who are guilty of anti-social behaviour, so I'm talking about all age groups not just young people.
A...

Is it against the law to "flip off" a police officer?
Would love some strong evidence here if you could....

Did anyone ever dial 911 by mistake and the cops showed up?
i did....

I just got a £60 fixed penalty notice for not displaying tax disc but?
it had fallen off the windscreen,and was clearly visible on the dashboard, can i complain?
it was a jobsworth statement if ever
Additional Details
i have witness and picture to ...

Can you be arrested if you don't sign a speeding ticket?
I just got done watching a video where a cop was going to arrest the guy b/c he refused to sign the ticket. Long story short, he got tasered for stupidy, but that is beside the point. I know that a ...

Should bush and blair be extradited to the hague for genocide against the world concise answers please?

Why do police feel they can do whatever they want now days?

I threatened someone online can I go to jail?
Okay well I'm 13 and I threaten to beat someone up online because they cheated on my girl friend and I dont know him and he lives in another state but could I go to jail? I also said he should ...

How many Manchester policemen does it take to arrest a plastic Lara Croft?

Should the UK bring back hanging or do killers need more understanding ?
to all them that will say prison is to soft and hangings the only way, then why did shipmen and fred west die in such a nasty way rather than spend the rest of there lifes behind bars....

How to beat a speeding ticket?
Cop said i was going past the speed limit, I dont think so, cop did not mention nor show me a the radar reading. He was coming from opposite traffic, so how can he tell my speed. Meanning he was not ...

A judge dismised a charge of disorderly conduct. The arresting police officer has appealed his decision,?
The police officer is appealing nd issued another complaint and taking it back to court is this ok to do once the judge dismissed the ...

She is sixteen-years old and facing 10 years is that right?
For Trafficking Exctasy first offence..no prior record for drugs.

She should get a chacne to get well I would think not be convicted and sent to prison. Everybody desrerves a chance first ...

Why are the cops so grouchy? And why is it that I always get the worst one everytime I get in trouble?
Cops need to lighten up and relax!!!!
Additional Details
sweetheart2005, I don't give a sh!t if people think I'm a bad a$$ or not because nobody knows me on here. I'm not ...

Guy pulls a gun on me and doesn't get in trouble?
I got caught cutting across some guys backyard at 1 am last weekend. My friends and I were at a party and the cops came so we went out the back. So, I'm jump over this guys fence and he ...

Can I still become a police officer if I was raped as a teen?

How do you trick a polygraph?
I have to take one tomorrow, how do you beat a polygraph? hehehe. I didn't break any laws, I just find that kinda stuff interesting and when they are done testing me I want to see if they'...

Is it wrong to want to go to prison because you can just chill out all day?
Granted you have to fight from time to time, but i'm a decent fighter enough to hold my own... Short of that is it wrong to have a desire to just lay in a bed for the majority of the day, and ...

Do you think officers are wrong in some cases and arrests?
i was arrested for assult by a prisoner on a police officer while handcuffed.witnesses had said i cooperated and did not assult anyone.do you think police exaggerate sometimes just to get an arrest ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links