Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Why don't people respect security officers?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why don't people respect security officers?

I'm a security officer pursuing Law Enforcement and I'm just interested in why most people could care less about us? Police officers too I guess, but more so security officers (guards). Is it the fact that we don't go through such an extensive training as police officers, security officers are denoted as being lazy and fat, or is it something completely different?
Additional Details
Law Enforcement & Police are as close to my question then any other category. Sorry if it 'offends' you.

weapon_30
Rating
From a police officers point of view I feel it is like this partly because of the way some security guards act. Some are lazy, some think they are the police and get involved in activity that is not part of their job. When this happens it creates more work and headaches for the police. It is also due partly to television and news media. The general public sees how the media portrays them and the public assumes that is how a security guard is. If you act professionally and do your job then that is all you can do. If someone looks down on you, that is their problem and there is nothing you can do about that. Some police officers also look down on security guards, I think some cops feel because of all the training they went through that they are better than others. My guys DO NOT get away with that at all. I work in an inner city environment and rely on security guards every day. Keep in mind that you are usually at the scene of a crime before we are and sometimes see it occur first hand. We need you to keep yourself safe, and others if possible and to observe and gather information for us when we get there. Security guards face more danger than the general public realizes. A criminal does not say to himself " Oh, he is just a security guard, I won't shoot at him". All they see is a uniform and a badge. Security guards do deserve a lot more respect then they get.

caldude1010101
Rating
Too many guards have power trip issues.

You have 1 job: observe and report.

If you do that, no problem.

If you try to exert authority when you have none, plan on getting laughed at.

BrunetteBabe120
Rating
Because security guards are just rent a cops, and they just kinda 'get' the job as opposed to having to take a test and go through training like police officers.

bookish
Rating
I have no problem with security officers, but I think the image is that they are kind of like "fake" cops, that they can't really do anything, and sometimes they bust people's chops just for the hell of it (although that part would be like the real cops, I guess).
I can give you an example: when my son got his learner's permit, I took him to a large parking lot at an office building nearby so he could practice. It was a Sunday, so the lot was empty. Some security guy who could barely speak English was telling me we couldn't drive around the parking lot. My son wanted to just leave, and I didn't want him to be embarrassed, but I pointed out to the man that we weren't doing anything wrong.
I felt like he was bored and gave us a hard time just to have something to do.

Johnboy 109
Rating
Perform your job to the best of your abilities.Fixating on gaining respect is a downer.No one respects police or prison guards either. Since the only power you have is making a citizens arrest, same as any other legit citizen, focus on your ability to observe and report. If nothing happens on your shift- that's a good thing.

SUSAN P
I respect them.

As to why some don't, I think that they are seen as "hobby cops."
In other words, someone who would love to be a real cop but can't qualify - physically, mentally, emotionally - so this is as close as they can get. And as another responder said, for a lot of them it's a power trip.

Thelastninja
Rating
thelastninja can defeat security officer

Ronald Walter Klimmek
I've worked as a Security Officer here in L.A. and the people here are very disrespectful. I got to hate the Public and still do. I'm gratefully retired now and avoid the Public. It was a very hard job.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why are there always police at the end of Daria Pl. , Dallas?
There are always police and men with sun glasses at the end of Daria Pl in Dallas does anyone know why?...

Police view. In this situation?!?!?
A guy, say David, age 21, and another guy, say luke, age23. David and luke are both in a car, david owns the car but luke is driving it. Luke has no liscense, david knows this, but denies this later ...

My ex threatened to tell the police I sell drugs if I cooperate with child services?
Me and my ex recently got back together, then broke up again. I found out during the time we were not together the first time she started to do meth, and when we got back together she stopped. During ...

Can A Citation Be Re-issue again, even if the DA declined to file charges?
My wife got issued a citation back in Oct 08 for a minor charge, she supposed to go to court 12/23/08, but her case was never available online; we decided to call the PD of that City and they told us ...

Do the correctional officers use torture on the inmates, in the US facilities?
a very close family member spent 6 years in a illinois correctional facility and just got out, he told me the guards tortured him repeatedly. is this true
he said they cut him, using knives and ...

If you get pulled over and handcuffed by the CHP do they still have to tell you your rights?
i wanted to know if you get pulled over by the CHP do they have to tell you your rights like the police or is it different??And what happens when the CHP tells a lie to your parent and you dont find ...

When normally would the police stop your car?
When normally would the police stop your car, suppose that you drive at low speed in town? Are there any reasons they would stop you, or is it the case that nowadays they rely on speed cameras most ...

If you are tasered in the state of Pennsylvania by police don't they have to take you to the hospital?
Is there a law?...

Ticket for open container of alchohol, previous charged with 3 DUI'S in missouri. been no problems for 30?
3 DUI'S in missouri. has been clean for 30 monthes. wasn't driving. will my son go to jail or what. i am really upset with him....

Traveling on probation?
Hi im a 23 year old women from wisconsin my family is from the Philippines but i lived her my whole life. I have a few questions I need anwsered. I have a passport which i just received 2 weeks ago ...

How do warning citations in Massachusetts work?
I had gotten a warning citation 3 weeks ago for speeding, and another one yesterday.
Yesterday my warning was for going 22 over (yes, i am a dumbass) and driving other teenagers while still ...

Is there only one type/grade of pepper spray? Or are there multiple types?

Additional Details
What type of pepper spray do ordinary police officers carry?...

How many days will you stay in jail for trespassing?
My boyfriend 18 yrs old, was susspended from school for 3 days. & if you are susspended you can not come on school property or you will be arrested. & thats just what he did. So he got ...

If I'm 17 and was arrested, will my name show up the in newspaper?
I CAN'T let it get out that I was arrested....

If im 16 years old, can i have a criminal record?
I am going through a rough part in my life where im always depressed and i am even having suicidal thought.
I made a huge mistake of shoplifting because to me it was a cry for help because i ...

Filing a false report to police in michigan on CSC charges?
what can i do if someone filed fauls CSC 1 and 2 charges and the case was dismissed? can i sue them for filing false charges, attorneys fees, harassment, and emotional distress in civil court? or ...

Okay if someone in your family got beat up...?
Okay last night my brother beat up 20 people by himself, but he got pwned by a crow bar. If i go to beat the guys up is it self defense? or just beating them up. plus if they bring out a crow bar i ...

Does anyone know anything about virginia's new smoking laws?
i had read that virginia was going nonsmoking, but had completely forgot about it until we went to outback one night and sat at the bar and the woman was like "remember we're nonsmoking now&...

Which law enforcement agency doesn't require collage??
im thinking to become civilian police which agencies or departments don't require collage does us army facilitate it?...

"can on comming cars be clocked"?
for ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, September 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links