Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Why when you get pulled over do all the passengers have to show and ID?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why when you get pulled over do all the passengers have to show and ID?

I was riding with my friend and her brother and his friend and he got pulled over for having a headlight out and he asked for all of our IDs..why did the passengers need to show an ID?

dh1977
Most of the time it is to check for warrants or (for underage kids) to make sure you are not a runaway/missing. It's standard procedure for most departments.

NONAME
checking for outstanding warrents

Lori B
Rating
Just to make sure everyone had one and to verify ages, he may have also checked everyone for warrants.

Rhapsody
The officer is checking to make sure nobody in the vehicle has wants/warrants. The officer is also checking to make sure that no parties in the vehicle have outstanding orders of protection that need to be served.

When an officer runs your ID through the state's Law Enforcement Telecommunications System, it checks for Wants/Warrants, Missing Persons, Outstanding Orders of Protection that need to be served...in California it brings up a list of EVERY gun you've ever owned, it also checks to make sure your license is valid. You're also run through NCIC and this checks for wants/warrants on a national level. If you're underage, they are running you to make sure you aren't missing or a runaway.

The officer wants to know exactly who he's dealing with. You could be a criminal with 2 felony warrants-and the officer needs to know the info. It's for their safety. Hope that helps!

One Sexy Jeep Girl
Rating
warrant check

cubsfreak2001
Simply put, if I am a police officer I want to know who I am dealing with. What if someone in that car was a wanted fugitive or a wanted rapist wouldn't you want the police to make sure they are not wanted.

Also effective shortly after September 11th, laws were enacted that allowed police to detain you until a positive identification can be made on you, so they could hold you until you can provide your ID, or your fingerprints clear a database.

ESCAPE THE FATE FREAK!
Rating
I am not exactly sure. I don't see why they had to cause only the driver is supposed to show there ID. Maybe it depends on where you live. Cause In Oregon only the driver shows their ID. I was in a car with my mom and little sisters and only my mom had to show ID. Or wait maybe you all had to show ID cause all of you are old enough to drive or something.

?
Rating
they dont have to cops just like to get every ones incase of one with a warrant but if you say i dont have one with me theres nothing they can do except tell you to start but they still cant make you

firewomen
Never know who might be in the vehicle.

AAA
Rating
Well if they oulled you over for a traffic violation that makes them a witness to the crime. Wouldn't that give them their reason?

Penguin_Bob
Rating
I have to disagree with most of the answers that have be given. Generally speaking, since the most common reason any vehicle stop is traffic related, the answer is NO ... the officer must have grounds to ask for ID. Most DMV traffic laws give an officer the right to demand that a driver produce a valid driver's licence if a traffic offence was committed. The office can demand other acceptable ID if you do not immediately produce one. (In the latter case you will probably get a ticket for not producing your licence if you simply don't have it with you). If you do not produce your licence or other suitable ID the officer *may* have the right to arrest you until he/she is satisfied of your identity. Generally the officer does not have the right to ask anyone else in the car for ID. Now, for those who are ready to blast me into oblivion, there are many exceptions. Depending on the jurisdiction you are in, ID can be demanded in regards to suspicion of drug, liquor, or weapon possession or for any other reason where the officer can justify the need to identify everyone in the car. From what I can see from the earlier answers it may be that some juridictions give the officer the right to check for outstanding warrants. If that is so I'm not aware of them. I suspect that checking for warrants, etc. is quite possibly something that is just done and not backed up by legislation. Nothing ever prevents an officer from *asking* for anything. If he asks and you give it to him, everything is fine. If you politely (I do mean politely!!!!) ask the officer if you are legally required to provide your ID, he/she will be very pis*ed-off, but will have to give you a true answer. I don't suggest you do this, however, because the officer will get even more suspicious and find a real reason. Unless you've got something to hide there really is no reason for you to refuse. Doing that for a matter of principle will probably lead to problems and make you wish you had kept your mouth shut and done what you were asked. You may win the battle, but will likely lose the war.

Legally Brunette
The reason is so they can check for warrants but they don't have a right to demand it of you.

Faith .
Only if the police asks for it.

ALunaticFriend
To see if any of you are illegal or wanted. On your wanted poster will be your DMV picture probably.

greencoke
It depends on why you were pulled over. If it was for something like running a red light than no, the cop shouldn't ask for everyone's ID's. If however you were pulled over in a high drug area for suspicion of dealing drugs then yes, I think the cop could ask for evryone's ID's.

dahc321_321
they dont in canada

LOVETROLL69ME
If your a passenger in a car and your not braking the law. The cop does not need to know who you are. You don't have to ID your self. It's violates your 4th and 5th amendment rights

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Describe Cops in ONE word?
i say, "Power"...

Are all US police like the police on 'cops'?
arnt cops there to help people, not taser them?...

Why does everyone think police need a warrant to search a car?
i see all these questions on here and these answerers say they need a warrant to search a vehicle. thats b.s. .... here in texas they only need "reasonable suspicion" that a crime is ...

Is there anything more satisfying than Hippies being given a good batoning (London G20)?
Go on, turn on BBC News 24....

PLEASE answer! I need advice about undercover officers.?
I am from the USA and have been having an online relationship with an officer from England.

The last time we talked he said he had a special assignment and had to be undercover for a ...

How long does a conviction or imprisonment stay on your police record?

Uk police being armed?
do you think that the whole UK police force should be armed instead of just having CO19 and the Flying squad( the metropolitans Armed detectives)...

Have you ever heard of any one walking free from court after killing someone by dangerous driving?
they were driving at 41mph in a 30mph which had been lowered to 20mph due to resurfing what is the actual penalty
Additional Details
its not me its my neighbour he was freed today at ...

Anyone like police officers?
I think that so many police officers are so hot. I was wondering if anyone shared my views....

Can i find out what someone has been in prison for?
my ex has a new partner and i know he has been in prison, i just want to know what for, for the sake of my son i dont want him to hurt him or ...

Arresting someone?
If you were on patrol ,pulled over a car for a traffic violation and find out that the driver was wanted for failing to appear to court how would you arrest him safely if there were passengers in the ...

My boyfriend keeps trying to call me from the county prison.
But for some reason the operator won't let me speak to him it keeps cutting off. Is it because he's calling my cellphone with a collect number??? i don't know
Additional Details

Why is it essential for victims of assault amd battery, as well as other violent crimes, to seek counseling?

I'm thinking of applying to become a COP, but afraid......?
Up until the time I was about 23 or 24 I had never even gotten drunk. I never smoked cigarettes, did drugs or anything. I guess I got curious and was hanging around the wrong person and I tried pot ...

If I have a warrant and I go to court with half of the money I owe, will the judge still send me to jail?

If there was a fire would you...?
A. Jump out a window
B. Go grab all your belongings
C. Try and run out a nearest door
D. Fire extiguish it

Which would you pick and why
Additional Details
Ok ...

If you catch somebody trying to steal your car, can you hold them at gunpoint until the cops get there?
Or will you be arrested for brandishing a firearm? Would you hold him/her at gunpoint if you knew it was against the law? Remember, you are the one who is going to be paying high insurance rates if ...

Are you as tired as i am reading about the needless stabbing of youths?
every day i read in the paper about another knife carrying thug who has just been stabbed or caused another youth to be stabbed or killed.
these youths who think that its brave and clever to ...

If i smoked 1/4 of a joint (a marijuana cigarette) on October 15, would it still be in my system on Nov 15?
PLease dont be rude.

My dumbass sister smoked while she was on probation.

What are the chances she will come out dirty in a drug test?
Additional Details
i ...

I'm 16 and a Cop tried to get with me...?
Im 16 years old and I got arrested for assult and battery and then a few months later he came to my house in the daytime and gave me his number and he had mine from the "computer" in the ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links