Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Will you get locked up for theft under 50 dollars? What happens if your record is clean?
Find answers to your legal question.

Will you get locked up for theft under 50 dollars? What happens if your record is clean?

Ok i got a ticket for theft under 50 dollars and im shitting bricks. i wanna know what happens when i go to court. will i go to jail. even if my record is clean never been in trouble and i just made this one mistake???

Bill G
You will still have a record of conviction for theft, but you will only get a fine. I am not sure where you are, but a small amount like that is most likely just a minor misdemeanor.
I know that theft of less than $50 (or $20 if theft is by hot check) is a Class-C Misdemeanor in Texas. A Class-C Misdemeanor penalty is a fine only, up to $500.00.

thaman3432
Slap on the wrist. You'll get a fine.. Maybe probation if the judge didn't eat his wheaties

Katie J
Rating
seeing that you have never gotten in trouble you will probably just get a fine....and then you will be sent on your way:D lol

mr dance moves
you wont go to jai, your record is clean so yo probably arent on probation or something like that. probably a fine of some court cost plus the 50 bucks. easy as that.

Luie's Girl
Depends on the state your in, your judge and D.A. I would say probably not on the first time. They will probably give you an option to get into a diversion program. My advice would be to stop shoplifting now. If you keep doing it you will get caught again and will have a horrible time finding a good job with more than one theft conviction on your record.

CaLane
You'll have to pay a fine if your under the age of 18, but your parents have to be present with you in the court room. If your over 18, pay fine and court costs and possibly be on your record if your not careful, if they state an SES - then its on your record FOREVER, if its a SIS - then it will be taken off your record within a certain amount of time at the judges discretion(unsupervised probation) as long as you don't get into anymore trouble within that time span. I know it a misdeameanor charge, but be careful, please seek an public defender or an attorney since your record is clean.

DON'T DO THIS AGAIN!!! It could hurt you in the long run - employment purposes.

Foster
Rating
Highly doubtful. The only way you would probably go to jail is if you missed your court date and the judge issued a warrant for your arrest.

jake
i dont know where you live but it sounds pretty strict i live in canada and most people just get a warning or just community service and fine but hardly ever court for under 50 bucks that is if your a kid . however if you do not co-operate you will go to court and you will have a chance of going to jail but it is very unlikely. just co-operate and if they tell you to pay or do community service just agree and do it and you will be fine if your a kid, and if your an adult youl probably still be fine but you will probably have a worse punishment but No jail. i hate they way the system works i stole 40 buck of stuff and got charged 190 and 15 hours of community service

thexfilez
I doubt anything will happen, you will probably have to pay a fine and get a warning.

Layla
Rating
depends how old you are. If you're a minor you will probably just get fined.

Kidx
Rating
No. you won't go to jail. Why don't you just pay the $50 dollars back to the person so that they will drop the charges? Or was it shoplifting?

confused
daughter fined in texas for PI and theft under $50 and public intoxiction. we paid fine but want to know if she will have a record. She and friends got out of a cab and in the confussion forgot to pay 15 cab fare. Cab driver did not request payment he asked police that was right there to intervene. They said it was a mix uo and would pay police said no and took them in. They were fined and finger printed. will she have a permanent record?

Baby_girl
I live in Vacaville ca will I go to jail if in shoplifted but they added it up an it was 23.95 i have a clean record I'm jus freakin out an I jus turn 18 please someone answer this

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is racial profiling OK when the suspects are white?
If a gang of blond-haired, blue-eyed Scandanavian types rob a few banks and the police are out looking for them, will the PC junkies get their panties in a bunch if the police apply a little extra ...

Is it worth it to contest a speeding ticket?
I was apparently going 48 in a 35. This is in the Twin Cities in Minnesota, btw. I don't normally drive down that part of the road and the part of the road I do drive is 45mph, so I thought it ...

Trying to find out how much time will my fiance get for obstruction of a police officer. the d.a wants prioson?
ok the officer said he was hard to arrest and he put him in hand cuffs they said he twisted the cops thumb, and now they got him for aggravated battery. but now we are trying to get it drop down to a ...

Got a speeding ticket in a school zone?
Ok so i got pulled over going 36 in a 20mph school zone when in fact i thought i was going the speed limit which was 35. I saw the school sign lights flashing at which point i was driving 20mph and ...

Do You Support The Resignation Of Officer Powell Who Delayed NFL Player Moats?
The officer who detained pro-football player Ryan Moats from seeing his dying relative in the hospital has resigned in wake of the scandal.

I say good-riddance.

http://www....

Am i Eligible to become a Police Officer?
I have have a couple run ins with Canadian police officers over the years, however, I have never been charged with anything. I am currently 17. Am I eligible to become a police officer after College?...

Do I Have To Pay For This Parking Ticket?
So I got got a stupid ticket the other day for having my car parked out in the street when the street cleaner was going by.I forgot to park it in my garage.

Heres the problem:
There�...

The Kray Twins:Is it true that everyone was scared of them in jail,during the '60's and '70's?
I've been reading Norman Parker's "Parkhurst Tales"and he says that everybody respected them!True or false?...

Why didn't Kristen Stewart get in trouble for smoking pot?
If it was a normal citizen wouldn't they get sent to jail?? I know this is old news, but i just found out about it. Also i'm just using Kristen stewart as an example. Basically all the ...

How many of you agree that traffic violations are made to be worse by power trippin cops than they actually R?
I can remember getting a speeding ticket 64 in a 55 and this cop got angry with me because I was taking him and his ticket so lightly. I told him that not all of us fear cops.

I fluffed ...

After a 30 yr. spotless driving record I received a speeding ticket in a neighboring state.?
He told me that I was going 15 over on a rural highway. I am not sure that's true, as I applied my breaks when I saw him and didn't look at speed. Anyway,I want to fight it in court. Any ...

Are there any "gray' cops out there?
If i were a cop, I would be very gray....

Where do fake ids work and not work?
I am doing a speech on fake ids for my class and I'm trying to let people understand that they aren't really worth it unless its just for purposes of laughing for having a novelty ...

How senior is the rank of 'Additional Inspector General of Police' in India/Pakistan/Bangladesh...

Which states have collective bargaining laws governing law enforcement officers?
If you can leave a source for me, that would be great. Thanks!...

What happens if you are on juvinille probation then get arrested for a class 2 felony offense?

What are the steps involved in getting a permit to carry a concealed weapon?
My husband and I want to get permits to carry. We both have nothing on our record that would prevent us from doing so.

Can you give me a brief breakdown on the process? We live in M...

When Michael Vick gets out of jail, should he be allowed to play football again?
After all, he has paid his debt to society. Shouldn't he be allowed to try and get his life back together....

If you ask your probation officer to go out of town what information do they use to determine this?
my husband just got on probation today and we already booked a 2day trip to florida, im told that we can ask his probation officer if he can go and she may let him. what information do they use to ...

Do prisoners like receiving letters from people or no?
Does it encourage them and lifts their spirits or do they prefer not to get anything from anybody?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, August 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links